Lost Souls

Eight.

I woke up that Monday morning feeling like things in my life were just shifting and shifting to put me off balance. My parents were gone and I felt lonely, I got turned off from Hannah and the girls, there’s this cutie vampire who can enter my house anytime he likes and I can’t trust myself near him. I felt almost defeated. I wanted to pull back the coverlets over my head and sleep until everything was back to where it was.

But I had to go to school.

School, I think, was where I stood firmly. It was something that hadn’t changed and I knew how to react, how to handle everything here. As soon as I reached to school, I ducked the girls; I was absolutely sure that there was no way Damon would be here—he couldn’t pass for a teenager—and I was comfortable.

Until I walked into second period History and saw Damon’s brother sitting in the seat next to mine. My heart stopped beating and my eyes widened. I didn’t dare to move.

“Miss Barnes, please get to your seat,” the teacher said. My cheeks tinted with pink and I walked with my head down to my seat.

I knew he was staring at me, for that class. I wasn’t scared as I was initially but I was aware of him. From my peripheral vision I knew whenever he moved and I felt paranoid.

The bell rang and I rushed out of the class.

I didn’t run like fire to my next class due to fear of Stefan Salvatore, I mean thinking rationally, I’d lose in a race with him—hello, vampire—but I ran because I didn’t know what else to do. I was pathetic.

Lunch came and I decided to screw the library. I needed not the stale, dust filled air but somewhere clean, purifying and quiet.

I opted for under a tree.

Yes, I don’t have very imaginative hiding places but I didn’t care; I needed at least some kind of mental stability.

Ah who was I kidding?

“Hello. You’re Rayna right?” I knew that voice and I refrained from rolling my eyes. I looked up at Stefan and nodded. “Do you mind if I sit with you?” Why yes, Stefan I mind it a lot.

Sighing and cussing myself for what I was going to do, I shook my head and allowed him to sit near me. Way to go you dumbass. You want to stay far away from Damon and this just had to be the first step right? Idiot. If you don’t get your jugular ripped out by one brother, you’re so going to get it from the other.

We both sat in silence. I grew uncomfortable and felt the need to fill in conversation. But of course, I wouldn’t be the polite, non-suicidal person and start up a conversation on the weather. Oh no, I just delved into the deep shit.

“Okay Fangboy, why are you sticking up by my ass? Damon put you up to stalk my loner self in school or something? You gonna kill me?”

Stefan blinked, shocked. I would smile rejoicing since well hey, I shocked a vampire, but he’s a vampire and I want to die old. “Fangboy?” he smiled a bit. Okay, then. He shook his head. “Damon doesn’t know I’m here. Well, I’m sure he figured it out but it wasn’t because I told him. And, I wouldn’t kill you. For two reasons, I don’t take human blood and well, I saw firsthand what you did to Damon. I don’t need to experience that.”

“So let me guess, you want to know just what the hell had happened right?” I asked and Stefan nodded. I glanced at him and rubbed my arm. “How do I know if I should trust you? I mean you say you don’t take human blood but that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t try to kill me. I mean, I honestly doubt you would succeed but you know just the thought that someone just tried to kill, yeah it doesn’t sit well.”

He thought long and hard before answering me.

“Honestly, you don’t actually know if you can trust me but you should. I would never harm an innocent human and I give you my word that you can trust me and that I would never try to harm you.

I swallowed. I knew I could trust Stefan; I did, and was it wrong that I was scared? Here he was, offering me the one thing I always wanted; to tell someone about this huge thing in my life, and have them believe me without a doubt. I would finally be able to confide in someone, gain a semblance of a friend and it was also a major plus that I never got the urge to jump his bones.

“Okay, but you can’t tell anyone.” I breathed in deeply.

Then I spilled.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY FOR AN UPDATE :]

I just love this story, I do. And it shows, considering that I'm doing this instead of studying for ma damn chem exam :)