Lost Souls

Twelve.

“Everywhere I go, Damon loves to follow; he loves to piss me off. It may well be him,” he said.

“You say it’s a hunch. So you think it’s Damon but there’s a likely chance it isn’t?” I asked calmly, but inside I was screaming. I wanted to shout out to Stefan that Damon wouldn’t do that, but I couldn’t. How much did I know about Damon anyway?

“Yeah, there is a chance he’s innocent but I know my brother.”

“But he could be innocent?”

Stefan looked at me curiously and I thought maybe I had pushed it too far. Realization washed over his face. “Holy shit Ray, you like my brother.”

He stated this but I nodded as if it was a question anyway. Then, I quickly said, “But it doesn’t matter how I feel, it’s obvious he doesn’t feel the same way.” I said the last part bitterly before I could stop myself and Stefan looked at my intrigued.

“Really, well let’s find out,” Stefan said and as I blinked, he came up close.

Real close.

“What are you--?” His lips cut me off. Stefan Salvatore was kissing me. My eyes widened. Ew, this was like kissing my brother. I didn’t feel sparks, just the urge to scrub my lips. Thankfully there was no tongue.

As I was going to pull away, I heard the door swing open and Stefan pulled away. I saw Damon in the doorway, looking at the two of us. He was hiding his shock, I could tell, and suddenly, I felt like Damon—the one who had opened up to me—was gone. I felt like who I was seeing, was the jerk who didn’t give shit.

I opened my mouth to say something but before I could, Damon left. I stared at the space where he was, standing still.

I wanted to scream, rip out my insides, anything to make this feeling go away.

The feeling that everything that we had was now gone.

I turned to Stefan; my face a mask.

He looked bewildered and I had the urge to slap him. “He really cares for you.”

“What?” I asked, my fury boiling under my calm exterior.

“You told me—you said you doubted he really liked you. I heard him coming so I acted. I wanted to see his reaction. But, I couldn’t believe that…” his voice trailed off. Yeah, I really, really wanted to punch Stefan now!

He used me?

He used me to prove some point?

What, was I supposed to be jumping for fucking joy that Damon gives a shit for me? He probably hates me now, and I wouldn’t be able to explain to him because he ran out, and who the Hell knows where he went.

I closed my eyes and stayed there. When I opened my eyes Stefan was gone.

I was alone again.

My world was falling apart, wasn’t it?

This is the state of emergency. I’ve been running from a tragedy. There’s a battle raging in my head. I don’t wanna be left for dead—

I left Papa Roach to play and opened my eyes, staring at the ceiling. Today was Monday. I felt even less enthusiastic about it than usual. I had the strongest feeling ever, to just stay home; stay with my parents. I should’ve done that, but instead I got up for school; filled with students I resented, teachers who couldn’t care about me and reminders of how much of an empty shell my life has become.

Going downstairs I heard both my parent yell, “Happy Birthday!”

What? Today was my birthday?

I blinked and forced a smile. I wished I could be as happy as my parents felt. Dad hugged me and I forced back tears. “You’re eighteen now pumpkin.” I didn’t want to let go.

“Thanks Daddy,” I whispered. Mom smiled at me.

“We didn’t know exactly what to get you, so we decided to each buy you a gift and see which one you like more!” Mom said excitedly. I broke away from the hug and laughed, it was so typical of my parents to compete like this.

“But we all know that you’ll love my gift the most,” Dad said proudly and pointed out the window. I peered behind him and gasped.

Outside I could see a cherry red Mustang that was extremely sexy. I turned back to see my dad smiling and my mom sulking. I smiled and held out my hand. “Where’s your gift?” She handed me a thin rectangular object wrapped in light blue gift wrapping paper. As I ripped out the neatly papered gift, my breath caught. Mom had given me a picture frame; a collage with pictures of me with them, of me as a baby and then gradually getting older.

I hugged her and said, “Your gift won by a landslide.”

Then, I took the keys to my new car and drove to school.
♠ ♠ ♠
:] ooh comment nah