Lost Souls

Five.

I dropped my hand to my side and snapped my head to her direction. She had dark red hair—dyed—and pale blue eyes that would’ve been beautiful if they held substance within them. She had flawless skin that, I admit, I envied and long pale legs that peeked from a silk robe that pooled at her feet. She was possibly 100 years; young enough to build an ego for those years and stupid enough to challenge what she does not know.

Appearances are deceiving and whoever Made the twit should have told her that. And I, who should be a young vampire to many, am the most deceptive.

My voice wasn’t a snarl when I spoke directly to her. No, it was cold. Colder than the tiles we stood on. Cold enough to send shivers to anyone within reach. “And who, pray tell, told you to speak?” Her mouth opened to say something but I cut her off. “I was not referring to the time you spent blowing him in the corner of the ball room. I speak of matters you do not know of and when you do not know something, you should have the courtesy to shut the fuck up. If not for others around you, but for yourself because it does you no good to look like an incompetent whore.”

I knew immediately what was going to happen when she snarled. She lunged for me but I sidestepped and knocked her off her feet. The sharp heel of my boot pressed against her back. I tsked. I mean, hello, badass heroine right here, a little bitch like that could only irritate me further.

Before I could actually do damage, Christophe rushed to my side. “Riann, let us go. Remember you a previous appointment.”

I blinked. “No, I don’t think so.”

I refrained from a smile. I could almost hear the frustrated sigh Christophe bit back.

“Well Riann,” Damon started. I turned to him. If he was surprised at what I said and how I acted, he showed none of it. “You looked just like someone I once knew.”

I smiled tightly. “Really? What was her name?”

“Rayna.”

“Ah! How beautiful! Is she a vampire?” I asked. I felt to roll my eyes at my false cheerfulness. My voice was so sickenly sweet I wanted to gag.

“No,” his voice dropped a little low. “She was a human.”

“Hmm,” I started, “what happened to her?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well maybe she found someone to love her right, got married and had kids.” If only.

I wanted to close my eyes.

The pain in my chest unbearable.

Sometimes, I wondered what would’ve happened if my life was normal. If vampires, were-wolves, witches, Gods and Goddesses…if all these other things hadn’t existed in my life. But then I don’t think that was ever possible. I may blame Damon for not comforting me when I needed someone the most…but it wasn’t like it was his or Stefan’s fault. It was my destiny to get warped into this world no matter.

I blinked and stopped my thoughts.

I focused my attention on Damon, barely noticing Christophe getting the bitch vampire out of the room. I sent another attack. He winced. Did he realise it was me yet?

“But,” I said, distracting him from the pain that I slowly increased, “that wasn’t what happened. No. Like Alice she fell into another world. She didn’t get a chance at love, at a husband and children. She was alone.” I sent a sharp attack, like a blade that made him drop to the ground in pain. He gasped in pain.

“Hurts doesn’t it?” I asked. “Me too.”

Holding his head, he looked up. “Rayna?” he gasped out.

“Hello handsome.” I grinned and used my telekinesis to fling him against the wall. Hearing the crash he made as he slammed against the wall, breaking the framed pictures that hung there, I had to admit I loved all this mind shit I could do.

I walked towards him, watching him for a while as he struggled to get up. Then I decided to help him. I raised him up in the air, turning him upside down. I went up close to him.

“What—who made you into a vampire?” he asked. If anger wasn’t fusing through my veins, I might’ve laughed at the fact that he was asking this, right now, as he was hanging upside down.

But I was pissed. I wasn’t laughing. Seeing him; knowing he knew who I was, made all these emotions I felt let loose.

Before I could say anything, the door burst open. I saw Stefan with Christophe. “Oh Christophe, you brought in cavalry?” Sighing I placed down Damon, who massaged his temple. I guess his head still hurt, oops. Not like I did much damage…