Lost Souls

Nine.

The FBI database in New York was no big secret. But it was our sector that had everyone’s lips sealed. It was below the headquarters. You see, before the Law was made—possibly 8 decades ago, the FBI knew they needed a sector that could handle the immortal beings.

They hired street kid paranormals: the ones they could’ve found. Among them was Maxwell Danvers. Quickly enough that sector fell apart, the immortals killing off the other just to rise at the top. The FBI was surprised but that’s what they get when hiring people who only knew to fight for survival and credit. The only one who didn’t and who were few to survive was Max. Afterwards he basically said to the FBI ‘Look, this ain’t working out. What you want is a team who are independent on cases. You send in cases and the team would look it over all the while handling the immortals on their own. I’m the best here. Give me the opportunity and let me choose my own team.’

They did and Max got even more done than before. No one really knew what his sector was but just that he was FBI. Max only chose those who were good—or those who had the potential to be good—and those he could trust to not to fuck him backwards.

So twenty years ago, I was trying to rise up from the shit pit I was put in. I found myself in the tough streets of New York and fought off the jackasses who tried to pull a move on me (human and immortal). Then somehow, I began fighting off the jackasses who were pulling moves on women who couldn’t defend themselves. I wasn’t a great fighter and a lot of my victories was because of the powers. But one day a big as hell fae had me against an alley wall, my face digging into the pee scented bricks. I was panicking. I was weary and my powers weren’t functioning well. This may just be the rape I probably deserved all the while.

But then all of a sudden, the guy wasn’t there anymore and when I turned Max and Raphael was there. Raphie caught me as I fainted and then when I woke up Max gave me an opportunity to join this elite band of people.

Now, in the headquarters there were top of the art training facilities that were created just for the needs of the team—even for my mind abilities. Bringing Damon into the quarters wasn’t forbidden ‘cause there really wasn’t any way for him to enter unless he was with one of the team, since only us knew the security codes.

The other three members that completed our team, was waiting for us. Donovan, Beverly and Louis. Yup, Christophe was a part of the team. Figures right?

Donovan was the traditional geek, without the skinniness and glasses. He was the one who developed all our security systems. He also created the training arenas. God, every time I’m one of those arenas dodging holographic bullets, jumping away from splitting grounds and swinging over lava pits, I think about my lovely team mate and wish that sadistic bastard to hell.

Donovan did all the technical stuff and even though he was a total nerd wad, don’t think he couldn’t fight. He was one of the people who tested out all his training arenas. The boy was trigger happy. He was slim but he body was muscled out. His fae ancestors gave him beautiful blue eyes. His dark hair sometimes got in his face when he was working and overall, he was pretty cute.

Bev made our weapons. She was a total badass who loved to create new weapons and she, like Donovan, was a fae. Another thing they had in common: she liked to test out her creations. If she wasn’t my friend, I would’ve been shit scared of her. Despite her tall, willowy figure, sun-kissed skin, hair like ebony silk and her entrancing green eyes, Bev was one crazy bitch.

Now as you entered the quarters, you first see the main area. At the end of the room curved into a semi-circle and Donovan’s computers, geek stuff and desk was against the entire wall. Behind the computers and desks and shit was just one chair that Donovan used. You should see him in action, going from one end of the room to the next side. Pretty amusing.

Behind Donovan’s work station was the most comfortable couches ever. This area was equipped with every game consoles known to man…and immortal. The TV’s were mother frickin’ huge. They were my lovers, I swear.

Anyways, so Beverly, Donovan and Louis was sitting on one of the couches. Donovan jumped up first. “What the hell happened?” he asked, his eyes wide. “Here was all of us sitting down, shitting each other and then next thing I know Max gets a call from Crystal and boom, he leaves. Then, then, then!” he gasped in a breath and continued. “Then I go up on my computer and spy cam the club Crystal said you were going to. By the time I did, paranormals were rushing out of the club.”

“Rayna got attacked,” Crystal said and plopped down on the couch.

I winced as Louis and Bev both jumped up, the two and Donovan yelling in unison, “What?”

I walked up to them. “Technically, I wasn’t really attacked. I dodged the knife before it could pin me.”

"WHAT?"

I sighed deeply. Jeez, you'd think they were deaf.

Max nodded. "And get a load of this," he said and pulled out the knife.