Sequel: The Beat Goes On

After Tonight

She's My Sheila

Once Rob left I took a shower, eager to wash away plane scum and the last bit of Eric there would ever be in my life. It felt so unbelievably fantastic to brush my teeth too, something I’m sure Rob would be thankful for later.
I walked around the hotel, grabbing a cup of coffee at the breakfast bar. When I saw the bright sun sparkling across the ocean, I began to wish I'd brought my swimsuit.
Through the concierge I’d found a nearby mall. He traced the route on a paper map and handed it to me. I was pleased to find out that it was within walking distance. Needless to say I spent the next three hours at a spacious outdoor mall looking for a swimsuit and a few other necessities I’d left behind in my haste to get to Sydney.
Hours later I was sitting on a beach chair, hoping to catch a little color. I’d finally be able to start a new book and happily did so listening to my iPod. Rob called around five to tell me he’d be back at nine. I was also under strict orders to get something to eat from room service or wherever I deemed good enough. After a quick dip in the ocean, I headed up to the room to get a meal.
I caught my reflection in the mirror; my face was a little pink but aside from that I’d say I looked a shade darker. And then there was the hair. I’ve got naturally wavy hair, but with this humidity it curled into thick ringlets. I did as Rob asked and got something to eat. When I finished it was only seven. Two hours to go. I desperately needed another nap—damn jetlag.
This time I set the alarm.

There was no hesitance, no cordialness about it. It was one straight shot from where he stood in the doorway to where I’d just stood up from the chair. Hands on skin, lips on skin, fingers on lips. It was all a blur yet I was seeing more clearly than ever before.
Rob pulled me onto the bed with him, managing to get me out of my clothes without breaking our current entanglement—which I might add, takes skill. He rolled on top of me, threading his fingers in my hair.
“Love, you look emaciated.” His dark brows knitted in concern as his eyes raked over my body with hunger.
“Yeah, well you taste like a tobacco plantation and I’m not complaining.” He grinned as I pulled his face against mine, lingering underneath his lips.
Blue burned into brown as we held one another’s gaze for what seemed like eternity. My skin was flushed, as I’m sure was my already pink face and I trembled as his rough hands grazed over my stomach.
“You really should never have gotten that haircut.” I tousled his hair playfully as I captured his lips once more. He groaned as he pulled me on top of him.
“Will you give it up? I looked like a jungle-boy.” I couldn’t help but laugh against his lips.
“A very sexy jungle-boy.” I wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing him fiercely.
“It needed a trim. That’s all I got—a trim.” He was losing patience with me, which had been my intention in the first place. The more worked up he got, the more fun it was. “And this, what you’re doing right now, is bloody killing me.” Rob clumsily grasped for the clasp on my bra
“Calm down Tarzan.” I grinned, my lips lingering on his jaw line. I stopped his eager fingers and pinned him against the headboard, wanting to be as close to him as I could. Heat radiated from his pale skin as I traced every contour on his arms and chest.
“You crazy girl.” Rob whispered as he wrapped his arms around my waist, holding on to me tightly.
“You didn’t miss me?” I asked,
“In more ways then one.” I laughed at his lopsided grin. This guy had one thing on his mind.
“You horny bastard.” I grinned when he kissed me again, his hands fumbling with my bra clasp.
I could feel my blood pulsing. My heart felt like it was going to thump right out of my chest and my body was hot, burning even. Rob’s breath against the back of my neck wasn’t cooling me down any. Any concerns I’d ever had about leaving Rob the way I did Eric were gone for good. It just wasn’t fathomable anymore, not after tonight.
He was it.
I glanced at the clock as it hit just beyond midnight. The biggest sleeping pill in the world wouldn’t get me to fall asleep. Trying not to disturb Rob, I slipped out from his arms and walked to the sink. As I poured myself a glass of water, I heard footsteps padding across the floor.
“I did miss you, ya’ know.” Rob’s voice nearly echoed in the quiet room.
“Of course I know because that,” I smiled sheepishly, feeling my cheeks flush pink. “That was amazing. Rob grinned, drawing me in for a kiss.
“I can’t sleep.” He stared into my eyes, pushing hair away from my face.
“Neither can I.” I wrapped my arms around his waist and looked up at him. “There’s so much I want to talk to you about.” Rob cocked his head to the side.
“Like what, love?”
“Filming, life—I dunno, we haven’t spoken in a month! I miss hearing this stuff—Jesus, how was your Christmas?” I chuckled. Our gifts were still under the tree back home.
“Well let’s talk then.” He smiled, grabbing my hands and guiding me toward the bed. He flicked the lamp on and pulled me onto the bed with him.
“Don’t you have to get up early?” I fiddled with the t-shirt I was wearing. That was the one thing I didn’t think I’d really ever get used to; having to share Rob with his career.
“Nah.” He folded his long legs in front of him and rested his elbows on his knees. “And have I ever been concerned with being late before?” I grinned as he waggled his eyebrows.
“Alright then.” I made myself comfortable, wrapping a blanket around my shoulders. “So, Jude is the size of a pony now.”
“Rubbish.”
“I swear!” I laughed. “OK, maybe a miniature pony.”
“And she still likes the radio I presume?” I made a face to show him I didn’t appreciate his mocking. Jude honest to God liked music.
“We’re fine-tuning her tastes, adding a little bit of The Rolling Stones into the mix.”
“Of course.” Rob chuckled and shook his head. “How was Jo’s wedding?”
“It was fun. Crazy, but a tad disappointing.” Rob rubbed my legs sympathetically—he was supposed to have been my date. “And of course, everyone was drunk by ten o’clock.”
“I wish I could have been there.” He smiled softly.
“Me too.” I cleared my throat, wanting to get away from anything that had to do with our temporary split. “Now please tell me you’ve had a chance to hit the beach since you’ve been here.”
“Do I look like I’ve gotten a tan?”

I woke up later that morning wrapped up in Rob, feeling his chest slowly rise and fall against my back. Glancing at the clock, I nudged him. Hard. He’d set the alarm for 6:00 and either the red numbers were lying, or he was two hours late.
“Rob!” I smacked his cheek lightly, grimacing when I noticed I’d left a red mark. “You have to go!”
“Abbey, what the bloody hell—” His voice trailed off when he saw the clock. “Fuck.”
In the year that I’d been with Rob, I’d never seen him move so damn fast. He nearly flew right out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Obviously remembering he’d forgotten something, he flung the door open and grabbed me for a quick kiss.
“I’ll call you!” He ran out the door, yelling over his shoulder.
By eight o’clock, my bag was packed. I had an early flight tomorrow and though I wasn’t really interested in getting on it, I couldn’t afford to miss it. Jo would be getting back from her honeymoon in three days and she could not know that our mom had been my substitute. The hours continued on and by the time I heard my cell phone ring, it was nearing eleven. Rob urged me not to fall asleep and I obliged, only because I was half-asleep already.
Rob didn’t make it back in time to catch me awake, but he did get up in time to grab a coffee and bagel with me at the hotel’s breakfast bar.
“Guess what?” I could tell from his tone that it wasn’t going to be something I’d be excited about.
“Do I want to know?”
“Two weeks from the time I get back home I’ve got to fly out to Oregon.” He broke a bit of his bagel off and smothered it with cream cheese.
“What now?”
“We’re starting to film Eclipse.”
“Oh right.” I drained my coffee mug and looked out the window. “Well at least we’ll be on the same continent this time.” Deal with Abbey, you’ve got to deal with it.
“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Rob smiled softly. His eyes, however, were not smiling. Reaching across the table he took my hand in his.
Before I left for the airport, Rob begged. I mean begged me not to leave. He said he wanted to spend time with me in the beautiful "land" of Australia.
“I haven’t been to the beach, and I certainly haven’t been anywhere with you.” He was starting to whine, which of course was absolutely adorable.
“Well you can take me to Hawaii when you’re done shooting Eclipse.” I pushed my sunglasses onto my face and smiled up at him, laughing. When would we have time to go on a real vacation? Rob looked at me for a moment, the gears in his head turning.
“Deal.” Huh?
“What?” I laughed a little, kind of shocked. “For real?”
“Absolutely.” He gave me a funny look. “Why shouldn’t I take you to Hawaii?”
“Er, I dunno. Good point. You absolutely, positively, definitely, really should take me to Hawaii.”
With that settled we said our goodbyes and tried to not display too much affection for one another in public. The driver loaded my suitcase into the trunk and opened the door for me.
“Do they have nude beaches there?” Rob called out as I was about to shut my door. I laughed and shook my head.
“You horny bastard!”