Sequel: The Beat Goes On

After Tonight

The Same Book, Even the Same Page

The time Rob spent at home was short. His two-week break was used to promote the new film, as well as begin a round of Eclipse interviews. And though the only time I saw him was in passing or when I got up in the morning and he was still asleep, I was thrilled that he was back. When the two of us finally had a day off that corresponded with the other, we took Jude for a walk in Central Park.
Ever since Rob had gotten back, I’d noticed a rise in the paparazzi stalking. I figured it was because he had a few projects going on—he was back in the limelight. Going to Central Park for some quiet alone time was no exception. They’d even gone as far as to get our dog involved. Yes, poor Jude was now a subject of an onslaught of camera flashes.

“It’s been a year and I still can’t understand how you deal with this.” I commented, tugging Jude’s leash as Rob tried to find us a route away from spontaneous flashes.
“It’s not my favorite part of the job.” His hand was firmly planted on my waist as he shielded our faces from a couple of lenses poking out from trees and kiosks. “I miss the days when they hid in the bushes, so I could at least pretend like I was a normal person.”
Once we thought we were in the clear, we found a place to sit by the frozen pond.
“Do you want to come out to Portland with me? Maybe for a couple of days? You can bring Jude…” Rob looked at me hopefully. I would love to fly out to Oregon with him. I’d never been there but I’ve always heard great things about it—though I was a little bias if Rob was going to be there.
Before I even had a chance to answer Jude took off, stopping in front of a man wearing a camera around his neck. Her long, golden tail wagged happily as he popped a treat into her mouth. Really?
“Jude!” I shouted.
“What a fucking bastard.” Rob stood up angrily, marching over to where the cleverer of the paparazzi had taken up camp. “Really, man?” I quickly followed, shocked that they would stoop so low as to lure our dog away.
“Hey Rob! Abbey! Can I just get a few pictures?” As he spoke, flashes exploded from the camera.
“I think you’ve taken quite enough.” Rob’s fists were balled. Though I knew he’d come close, I’d never actually seen or heard of Rob taking out a member of the paparazzi. I grabbed Jude’s leash and pulled her back with everything in me. The dog was made of lead, I swear.
“Just a few more.” Paparazzo took a few steps back, aware of the shade of red that had obstructed Rob’s face. “What about a pose? You’re here, you might as well—” I cringed as Rob took a step forward and reached out to grab his arm.
“I’m just trying to spend the day with my girlfriend, alright? Just bloody leave us alone."
I wanted to shout at the man, wanted to ask if he was blind to the fact that Rob loomed over him with clenched fists. Rob was by no means a heavy-weight champion or even a light-weight champion—he had the coordination of a drunk—but he was angry. And you shouldn’t mess with him when he was angry.
But alas, this man was a fearless imbecile; he reached into his pocket and pulled out another dog treat. Jude jumped up, eagerly pawing for the treat. I felt Rob’s forearm tense between my hands.
Jude suddenly jerked out of my grasp, a movement that knocked me flat on my back. I rubbed the back of my head tenderly, trying to get up as Jude bounded on top of me. I attempted to dust myself off--it was still wintertime and the ground wasn't exactly pea coat-friendly. What a great picture.

Robert Pattinson Can't Keep His Dog, Or Girlfriend from Playing In the Dirt

“Abbey!” Rob whipped around from his stance and reached down to help me up. Once I was stable, I rubbed my bottom.
Rob was furious. I’d never seen him so upset at someone else beside myself—he was even more upset than when he found out about Eric. As I tried to tame Jude—who was going absolutely wild—I picked up tidbits on the conversation Rob was having with the paparazzi. He nearly lunged at the guy.
“Rob!” I shouted, gripping his elbow and trying to keep hold of Jude. “Rob! Just let it go.” I was fighting with a 60 pound dog and full-grown 25-year-old man, simultaneously losing each battle. I bet Star would love to have this picture on the front of their rag. A crowd of onlookers had started to gather around us, snapping pictures of their own.
With one final pull, I managed to get both my dog and my boyfriend away from the paparazzi. Rob sighed, shaking his head angrily and muttering curse words under his breath.
“If this ever happens again—” Rob looked back at the man as I dragged him toward the coffee kiosk. “That is by far the absolute worst it has ever been. Why do they think they’ve got the right to fuck with me like that? I mean bloody hell, that's our dog.”
I rested my head on his shoulder, placing a comforting hand on his chest as I steered him away from the fiasco.
“And you, are you alright?” He kissed my forehead lovingly and took Jude’s leash from my hands.
“Me?” I jerked a thumb into my chest. “Oh yeah, I’m good. I’ve escaped with minor bruises.” I looked up at him, kissing him on the lips. “Five bucks says that the next time you get into a fight.”
Rob shook his head, knitting his brow. “Funny.”
“I just can’t believe he came prepared, ya’ know? I guess I never realized they worked so hard to get their pictures.”
“Yeah, well if that ever happens to you again I will do something about it.” His arms locked around me protectively.
Collectively, we decided it was a good time to go back to the flat. And instead of braving another outing, we agreed to order in that evening.

Hours later we were laying on the couch, bodies intertwined, watching The Princess Bride—a personal favorite of mine. Jude believed she was still the size of one of Rob’s shoe and attempted to snuggle beside us. Rob and I groaned, laughing, as she stepped on top of us trying to make herself comfortable. I curled up into his chest, hiding my face from her hockey puck-sized paws. Rob caught my lips as he did the same.
“I love this.” He whispered, laughing suddenly as Jude plopped down on top of our legs. “Ouch.”
“Yes, I always get a kick out of overgrown dogs sitting on my bladder.” I snickered, rolling my eyes.
“That’s not what I meant.” His voice was quiet, not that he was a loud talker to begin with. “I love this.” Rob gestured around the flat. “Being here with you. And our horse.”
He could really say the cutest things sometimes.
“I do too.” Rob raised his eyebrows happily. I kissed him softly, tracing his jaw line.
“Abbey…” Rob closed his eyes as he searched for words. “Are you in this, er, for the long-haul?”
I gulped—subconsciously—and searched for an answer. Of course I was in this for the long-haul. It wasn’t like I’d marked a date on the calendar after our first date and said that was his time limit.
Noticing the shocked look on my face, Rob quickly explained himself. “I’m not proposing to you, not yet anyway, but I just want to know whether or not I’m wasting my time. I know that sounds bad but I really, really fancy you and because of everything coming up in the next few months with filming and premiers and such, if you’re not on the same page as I am—”
“I am.” People never got to see this side of Rob. The stuttering, vulnerable, completely adorable side that made me grin stupidly. That was crying shame.
His blue eyes lit up. “You are.”
“Yes. Robert Thomas Pattinson, we are on the same page.” We grinned bashfully at one another. We’d never had a conversation like that before, about marriage—even if it was a brief one.
“Well that’s good.” Rob mumbled, kissing me.
Oh my, how I loved this boy.