Sequel: The Beat Goes On

After Tonight

Bright Lights

It was the second of June and the dress was casual. Rob was grinning at me from ear to ear, while I trying to hide behind one of the bodyguards.
We were at the Kodak Theatre for the premier of I Am the Messenger.
It was my first premier, obviously, and I was sweating like pig. Rob and I had flown out to Los Angeles two days prior and for once, were able to have one solitary day all to ourselves…which we spent inside of the hotel room in bed—because we were both completely exhausted and couldn’t stay awake to do anything else. We realized how pathetic we were.
The morning of the premier was absolutely hectic. I was in the bathroom trying to tame my mass of hair—L.A. humidity did nothing for me like Australian humidity. Once I finally bent it to my will, I slipped on my dress. Rob stood across from me, shrugging into his black blazer.
“Oh how I wish I could leave this ruddy thing in the hotel room.” He sighed. Neither of us liked this weather with fancy attire.
“Zip me?” I asked, turning around for him. His hands ran over my back, stopping around my waist. I felt his lips on my shoulders, his warm breath tickling my skin.
“This dress looks fantastic on you by the way.” Rob zipped the dress and spun me to face him. “I don’t think I told you already how beautiful you look.”
“You’re not too shabby either.” I smiled, taking the tie from his struggling fingers and helping him along. He looked amazingly sexy in his jeans and suit coat.
My dress was meringue-yellow. I wanted to choose something that would make me as invisible as possible—something black so I would blend in—but when I saw the little number I had to have it. It was strapless and flared out underneath my chest, stopping right above my knees. It was flowy and plane and I never wanted to take it off.
The limo to the theatre was nauseating. I’d begun to sweat even more and cursed my so-called “clinical strength” deodorant. I watched Rob slide effortlessly out of the limo. When I tried to be as graceful, my thighs stuck to the seat and pulling away gave me a red mark. I only hoped my pit stains were not visible in the sunlight.
Flashes emitted from every inch of the pavement ahead of me. I latched onto Rob’s arm, dazed and afraid I’d go blind. It was kind of funny, seeing how much Rob was adored by his fans. Screams echoed through the air and the further we walked along the carpet, the louder they got.
Paparazzi demanded pictures of Rob and his co-stars so I ducked out and tried to hide behind some potted plants. But just as I’d thought, yellow is a noticeable color. It was like I was wearing a beacon of light. I noticed Rob glancing around eagerly, probably thinking I’d been taken hostage by some fan girls. When he saw me, he made a face and rolled his eyes before being lassoed back in for more pictures. I was trying to avoid the people who had begun asking me who I was. Wrapping a protective arm around my waist and kissing my forehead, Rob led me through the sea of people and flashbulbs. We posed for a few pictures before entering the theatre.
Instead of sitting down in the theatre like a normal patron would, Rob made a bee-line for the back exit. I followed behind him, tripping over my heels as he dragged me along.
“I don’t watch my movies,” Rob told me once we’d safely made it back into the limo.
“Oh really? That’s what this is?” I cocked my head to the side, amused. “I thought we were just going to take a quick spin around the neighborhood before the previews started.”

That was my first premier and after-party. Rob assured me it wasn’t going to be my last. I did enjoy myself, though on more than one occasion I had to call Rob’s cell on account of getting myself lost.

ONE MONTH LATER:
“So you’re packed?” Rob called several times a day during his press-tour to make sure I wouldn’t forget his swim trunks. In less than twenty-four hours, we would be on a plane for Hawaii.
He had come through on his promise.
“Yes. Now, did you want me to pack your swimsuit—I can’t remember?” I teased. Rob chuckled and told me that I’d better be bringing a multitude of skimpy bikinis.
After talking to Rob, I left to drop off Jude at Allie’s. The two of us ended up eating dinner at a restaurant down the street.
“So do you think he’ll propose?” Allie took a bite of her hamburger, looking at me with wide eyes. She was really the only one aside from my mom that I’d told about the flurry of marriage-talk that had been going on lately.
“I dunno.” I really wasn’t expecting him to. “That just doesn’t seem like something he would do, ya’ know, whisk me off to an island and propose. He’d probably do it at a gas station or when we’re having sex.” I smiled jokingly. I knew Rob too well to think he’d propose in Hawaii.
Allie nodded in agreement. She was the current expert on marriage—her boyfriend of three years, Josh, had proposed to her back in May. The way Josh tells it, he called her at work at she was having a terrible day. Since he was going to propose to her anyway, he asked her to meet him for lunch in Central Park and while they were walking, he just dropped down. I had given my approval of Josh years ago and was insanely happy for them. The wedding was in October and I was the Maid of Honor.

I heard the apartment door open around 11:30 that night. I quickly spit out my toothpaste and wiped my mouth. Seven hours until Hawaii. Rob found me in the bedroom, gave me a quick kiss and proceeded into the kitchen. He hadn’t been able to grab something to eat all night.
“I can make you something.” I suggested, following him to the fridge. “What do you want, a sandwich, salad…pasta?” I looked through the cupboards and smiled meekly when we both saw the nearly bare shelves. “I wanted to eat everything up before we left.”
“I can see that.” He shook his head and grabbed a water bottle. “Have you eaten?”
“I went out with Allie, after I dropped Jude off.”
Rob took a swig. “I miss my Jude. She probably won’t follow me around anymore.”
I laughed and pulled some things out of the fridge. “I’m sure that’s not true, but she might put up a fight for the bed. She really likes your side.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to those who are reading and subscribing...maybe some comments will be next?
:)