Sequel: The Beat Goes On

After Tonight

Hawaii Five-O

Once dinner was over—Abbey had the audacity to ask for separate checks—she disappeared. I on the other hand, searched high and low for a place to get some cigarettes. When I found them, Marlboro and I went outside to get reacquainted. I really did not want to play this game because I was not interested in anyone except for the slender brunette who called my bluff during our first meal in Hawaii, but I wasn’t going to give in so easily.

Abbey’s P.O.V.
After the disastrous dinner was over, I went up to our room and collapsed onto the bed. Instead of fighting the tidal wave of emotion that had built up inside of me, I buried my face into a pillow and cried. I cried because I knew this was stupid. I cried because we were both guilty and if we weren’t so stubborn, we’d be in here right now proving that we were completely crazy for one another. I cried because this was our first vacation that didn’t involve Rob’s work and it had only been twelve hours.
But then the well dried up and I pulled myself together. I was going to play the game because I wasn’t going to be the one begging for forgiveness this time. I slipped into some sweats and made a cup of coffee. The Hawaiian brew tickled my taste buds as I sat drinking it on the balcony. I silently wondered where Rob had run off too. Maybe he caught up with Mona.
When I’d had enough of the room, I found my flip flops and went out to walk the grounds. I wanted to call somebody back home and rant about Rob, but I decided that wouldn’t be such a great idea—the time difference would make me pretty unpopular with my family and friends in New York.
I’d arrived at the beach. The crash of the waves against the sand was by far the most peaceful sound I’d ever heard. Well, that and the sound of Rob strumming on his guitar. I looked up at the black sky, speckled with thousands of stars. I wanted to capture this image in my mind forever. We sure didn’t get this view through the city smog. My stomach churned at the fact that I wasn’t able to share this view with Rob. I continued walking until I got to the edge of the resort. So I turned around and made my way back. Once I got closer, I saw the faint glow of a cigarette underneath one of the beach umbrellas. My stomach flipped when I was able to see more clearly; it was Rob, puffing away.
I grit my teeth at the inconvenience. He had strategically placed himself directly five feet from the pathway back to the hotel. Had he known I’d be out here? I pitied my ability to be allusive and make him think I was out with the man at the bar doing God-knows-what. Clenching my fists at my sides, I silently walked past him. He didn’t acknowledge me in the slightest.
In the room, I turned on the TV and watched a bit of Saturday Night Live. I used to watch SNL with my dad every Saturday night—even in college. I would come home at ten and be ready by eleven-thirty. We sat on the couch eating junk food until the early hours of the morning, laughing hysterically at the antics of Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell or my new favorite, Kristin Wiig. I had even gotten Rob into it. A while ago, his agent was working on getting him a hosting gig but that fizzled out when he explained he’d never watched the show.
I smiled, glad to know that I could find comfort in something as simple as a television show. Rob came in around one, just after I’d turned the TV off. I rolled over to face the window so I wouldn’t have to look at him.

Rob’s P.O.V.
When I woke up that morning, Abbey had left the room. I looked through her bag, trying not to disturb anything, and saw that her running shoes were missing as well. I figured she was outside on one of the paths or in the fitness room. I decided to go to the pool. I don’t know what possessed me to do so, except for the part that I could drink and pretend to stare at girls in skimpy bikinis. I grabbed my towel and a book, and took off for one of the several pools at the resort. It was late enough that I could order a beer without appearing to be a drunk, well it was 11:36 but who was I to ruin the convenience of a wet-bar? I stretched out on a beach chair and opened my book. Occasionally, I glanced around to see if Abbey had shown up. So far, she was still missing in action.
At one point, I thought somebody recognized me so I ducked into the locker room. When the coast was clear, I went back to my chair and continued to read. Looking up briefly, I saw her. Abbey had taken up residence at the other end of the pool.
Bloody hell did she look fantastic in a bathing suit.
I pretended not to notice her, but took the perfect opportunity to get the upper-hand in our game. Some bird in the smallest swimsuit I’d ever seen had been making eyes at me for the past hour. When she got up to get into the pool I followed, checking to make sure Abbey noticed me when I walked down by her side. She had.
The fact that the water was freezing cold made my smooth approach less smooth. I cringed as the water licked my stomach, muscles tightening from a much less fun sort of brain-freeze. I attempted to get the girl’s attention and when some bloke with spikey blonde hair cannonballed into the pool, I lost hope. She smiled reluctantly at me and moved onto her new catch. Shut down right in front of my girlfriend. How lame could I possibly be?
I heard a giggle over the commotion and looked up to see Abbey quickly avert her eyes back to the book she was reading.
After my failed attempt at flirting, I went back to my chair and read. I was going to give up. I didn’t even know what was going on; why had I been so stupid to start something as stupid as this? I watched as Abbey went up to the bar. She ordered the same drink that she’d been given last night and lingered by the bar, making eyes at the bronze bartender. He flashed his pearly white grin and winked. After watching dozens of men wink at Abbey, I made a note never to wink. It looked so kinky.
I’d gotten far enough into my book where I’d hit the mark that I couldn’t read without full concentration. So instead, I pulled out my phone and texted my sister and a few friends. Yes, I spent my first full day in Hawaii texting people who were not in Hawaii. I was in the middle of explaining to Tom what had happened with Abbey when I’d noticed she had finished her drink.
I casually got up and went to bar, ordering another drink like the one she’d had. I instructed one of the random waitresses to deliver it to her anonymously. The woman looked at me like I was absolutely mental, but changed her tune when I handed her a five dollar bill.
From my chair, I watched as Abbey looked at the man the waitress had pointed too. She smiled and accepted the drink, glancing at me quickly making sure I saw her drink. I couldn’t help but to burst out laughing. When she saw this, her face dropped and she pointed at me. I nodded, still laughing. Abbey got up and walked to the garbage can, triumphantly dumping the contents of her glass into it.

By late afternoon, I was bored. This holiday was supposed to be spent entangled on the hot sand with my lovely girlfriend and instead I sat alone on a beach chair by a pool full of little kids. Brilliant. The paparazzo was eating this up too. I’d seen one behind a pillar and didn’t even want to think about what kind of story they’d run the pictures with.
I decided to take a walk on the beach, making sure I had the company of my smokes and a lighter. I passed Abbey, who was lying on her stomach asleep. Either she’d given up interest in this stupid game or she was completely satisfied with herself that she was winning.
As I walked, I stared enviously at every couple I saw—even people my grandparents’ age were spending a romantic day on the beach. At this point, the only way I would be able to enjoy myself was if I focused on something else. So I thought about promoting Eclipse—the endless hours of frenzied fans and airports. I decided that sometime in October I would go visit my family and that I should definitely start taking Jude on more walks. By the time I got back to the hotel, dusk had settled and I had a list of at least fifteen resolutions or things that I needed to do.
I didn’t even want dinner. I wanted Abbey. I was sick of how ridiculous this holiday was starting out to be and I didn’t want to waste anymore of our precious time together trying to make her jealous. And I just didn’t want to embarrass myself anymore.
I checked our room and Abbey wasn’t there. Frantically, I checked the fitness room and she wasn’t there either. After searching almost half of the resort, I found her in one of the restaurants, sitting in a corner booth. I stood in entrance way, watching her flip through her menu. She had no makeup on, which I thought was when she looked the most amazing, and her hair curled out around her face. Setting the menu onto the table, she rubbed her temples and I noticed her eyes were pink.

Abbey’s P.O.V.
I was weary from spending my entire day under the sun and I wanted nothing more than to eat something greasy and absolutely tasty. So I found a restaurant in the hotel that served my favorite, grilled cheese. I ordered two. Day One of our Hawaii vacation was down the toilet. I’d done nothing except sunbathe and drink…which is not the best combination let me tell you.
I ate my two grilled cheeses in peace and silence. After my chocolate milkshake was finished completely, I paid my bill and went back to the room. I patted my stomach happily as crawled under the covers. I knew I had two things that I could always count on to make me feel good: SNL and grease. I hadn’t given any thought as to where Rob had wandered off to. I didn’t want to think about it anymore. I just wanted him in bed with me, arms around my waist and lips on my skin.
And then he was there.
“I can’t do this anymore, Abbey.” I heard him whisper in the dark. I closed my eyes tightly, blinking back small tears. I couldn’t believe how much I’d missed hearing his voice in such a short time.
“Neither can I.” I rolled over to face him, unable to keep from crying. He grabbed my waist and pulled me closer as I placed my hand on his cheek. I rubbed my fingers over the day’s worth of stubble until I got to his lips.
“I’m sorry.” He spoke softly. “I don’t even know what I was trying to do with all of this. I was just…jealous…. And then you called me out about doing the same thing about you and Barista Whore and I felt stupid.” As he talked, he wiped away the tears that had streamed down my cheeks.
“I’m sorry too.” I gingerly kissed his lips and tried to find my words. “You just frustrated me so much.” I laughed, thinking about the events of the day prior to. He laughed too. Ooh that hearty rumble made my skin tingle. “You just made it seem like I was so foolish for getting jealous, like you never get jealous.”
Rob gently pushed my hair away from my eyes and stared into them. “I get jealous all of the time. You have no clue.” I could feel my body turn to silly putty once he finally kissed me. “The guy that delivers the Chinese—he really pisses me off.”