Sequel: The Beat Goes On

After Tonight

Dante's Family Gathering

Rob’s P.O.V.
“Should we make a sign?” Abbey stood on her tiptoes, staring anxiously at the crowd of people getting off the plane.
“With what?” I looked around, hoping that my parents might have missed their flight.
“Well I don’t know. Maybe I’ll just write your last name across your forehead and we can get you a bright yellow vest like the people loading the luggage wear.” Her arms were folded across her chest, not out of anger but out of anxiety. She was nervous. I felt like I was going to vomit.
Abbey had spent the previous day cleaning—actually sterilizing would be a better word—the flat. She’d torn everything apart and dusted, vacuumed, sprayed, shined, and whatever else could be done to make the place look like it’d come out of a catalog.
I felt bad. I felt bad because Abbey had been on a holiday high since I told her my parents wanted to spend Christmas with us. I felt bad because she’d cooked and cleaned and shopped until her body was sore. I felt bad because Abbey had nothing but Holiday Cheer to spread and my mum was sure to ride her about everything until the poor girl broke. Abbey had no idea that when my parents arrived, they wouldn’t be hospitable—well at least my mum wouldn’t. She had no idea that she was considered a flaky, unprincipled American.
I felt bad. I felt worse than bad.
I felt like a traitor.
“Oh! I see them!” Abbey waved excitedly, smiling the biggest smile she could muster.
I waved as well, taking Abbey’s free hand and walking toward them.
“Robbie!” My mum smiled and grabbed my face, pulling me into a hug. “So good to see you! And Abbey, nice to see you.” She merely smiled at Abbey and swiftly stepped out of the way when she sensed Abbey’s intent on giving her a hug.
What a long three days this would be.
The four of us were crammed into a taxi. It was no surprise to me that in the shuffle to get everyone and everything in, Abbey landed shotgun next to our driver. Abbey, of course, didn’t put up a fuss. I watched the back of her head bob around as the cabby wove in and out of traffic like a maniac.

“Oh, this is nice.” My mum walked around the flat, taking every detail in. She straightened a few of the picture frames we had out on the bookshelf. I began to worry about whether or not the mirror on the wall was aligned correctly. “Not what I expected, but nice. Quaint, even.”
“Really, mum? Quaint?” I squinted at her and folded my arms. Abbey looked at me questioningly and mouthed, “Quaint?”
“Would you like to see the rest of it?” Abbey’s hands were clasped in front of her and she slightly bounced on her toes.
My mum followed her, to my surprise, and my dad took a seat next to me on the couch.
“Nice place.” He reclined in the chair a little bit, looking around. “Before you’re mother does anything absurd, let me just say that I haven’t a thing to do with it.”
“Good to know, dad. Really great.” I rolled my eyes and waited for the night to end.
I went to the kitchen and grabbed a beer.

“Yellow or red?” Abbey stood in front of me, nearly naked, holding up different sweaters.
“Nothing.” I could feel a smirk on my lips as I grabbed her around the waist.
“Rob, really. Yellow or red.” She laughed lightly while I kissed her neck. Then she pushed me away and went back into the closet. “Or green?”
“Why do you think they’ll care?” I fell backward onto the bed and groaned.
She’d been going at this for almost an hour. And she had a sweater, or blouse, or whatever in every single color. Abbey sighed, frustrated, and placed her hands on her hips. She began pacing the short length of the closet, eyeing every garment suspiciously.
“I want to look nice for your family.” The sweaters were tossed on the ground and she pulled out a chocolate brown corduroy skirt.
“You always look nice.” I pulled at my hair.
I couldn’t have been more of a nervous wreck. My mum and dad were in the guest bedroom getting ready for the party and in less than an hour, the rest of them would be here.
“But this is different. Ya’ know? I’m having Christmas—I feel like a real adult now. I want to look impressive.” Abbey emphasized the last word with a gesture. It looked like she was making an ocean wave with her hand, but I kept quiet.
“Well in that case, do you have any sweaters with reindeer knitted across the chest? Or perhaps something with embossed snowmen?” Abbey shot me a look and continued slipping in and out of different outfits.
“Robbie, what are you two doing in there?” My mum’s knock rattled the door. “Remember you’ve got company here.” I rolled my eyes and went to the dresser.
The engagement ring was tucked underneath some of my socks—a typical hiding spot for things of that sort. Every time Abbey did the laundry, I’d have to move it. I wasn’t sure why I didn’t just put it somewhere else. For a while, I carried it around with me in hopes that the moment would be just right and I could spring it on her. I guess I was nervous—there were at least a dozen times I could have asked, yet the ring was starting to collect dust.
“Abbey, I don’t do this for your family.” I walked into the closet and leaned against the door frame. “Why are you doing this, really?” She stopped what she was doing and looked at me.
“I told you. Having Christmas is a big deal.”
“And that’s the only reason?” I scratched my forehead in disbelief.
“First impressions are important, no? This is the first time I’m meeting your sisters.”
“Don’t worry. Please.”
Please don’t worry about impressing anybody because they’re all here with mindset to hate you.
That’s what I should have said, but I couldn’t find the heart to.
“Abbey.” I pulled her into a kiss, deepening it as I felt her hands tangle in my hair.
I gently pinned her against the door, lifting her up. She wrapped her legs around my waist, clearly entertained by this sudden gesture. I trailed my lips across her neck and collarbone. I wished my parents weren’t one hundred feet away.
“Rob. It’s almost six.” Her lips met mine once again but she didn’t try pulling away. “And you’re parents…”
“Yeah, I know.” I rested my forehead against her shoulder, taking in her fresh scent and the way her skinned smelled like lotion. “I know.”
I left the room, needing to tame my mum who’d knocked yet again when I didn’t answer to the first one.

When Abbey came out of the bedroom, I did a double-take. Her hair was natural, flowing down her back in soft curls. Instead of wearing any of the sweaters, she had on a purple flower-printed wrap dress that showed off her gorgeous legs. She nearly glided across the floor as she went to the kitchen to put some things into the oven. My heart beat was dangerously fast, but I wasn’t sure if it was because my nerves were a mess, or because my girlfriend looked extremely kissable at the moment.
And then I heard a knock on the door. My heart beat faster.
“Oh girls!” My mum wasted no time in opening the door and throwing her arms around my sisters. She let the small crowd of people in. Thinking I hadn’t seen, she made some sort of face and nodded toward the kitchen. My oldest sister nodded back.
I found Abbey and led her into the lion’s den with my arm around her waist.
“Hi, I’m Abbey.” She held out her hand and my sisters hesitantly shook it. Abbey couldn’t be oblivious to all of this—she wasn’t naive.
“We’ve heard a lot about you.” Lizzie was the friendlier of the two. I hoped she would make somewhat of an effort.
Husbands, boyfriends and children were introduced. The ritual seemed to last forever. Abbey asked everyone what they wanted to drink and I helped her hand everything out.

To my relief, Abbey finally started to notice odd behavior right before dinner.
“I don’t know who shoved a fucking stick up her ass…” I listened to her quiet muttering as she slammed the refrigerator door shut. Then she turned to me. “Honestly, did I say something?”
My mum and Victoria were making comments about everything: the tree, the decorations, the flat in general, Jude’s drool, the weather, Abbey’s job…it was endless torture.

“Dinner’s ready!” Abbey laid everything out of the countertop. Nobody heard her. “Dinner’s ready!” Abbey popped her head out of the kitchen and yelled louder. To my shock, she was ignored by everyone except my dad, Lizzie and Jude.
Before I could say anything, Abbey marched into the living room and banged a frying pan with a metal ladle. “Dinner’s ready!”
My mum and Victoria looked at her like she had teeth missing and a shaved head. My rope was getting shorter by the second. I smiled at her. That was my Abbey. Tom would be laughing himself to tears at that.
“So you must work long hours?” Victoria sawed into her turkey like she was trying to cut through mahogany. Abbey winced as the knife scratched against the plate.
“Yeah I do, but we’ve been getting a lot of extra help to just keep the place open so my sister and I trade off a lot on the heavy duty---”
“You must barely get to see Robbie?” My mum made a face as she stabbed at the mashed potatoes. “My, we’ve got a lot of lumps in here.”
“Mum.” I didn’t want to start anything.
“Yes, Rob?” My mum looked at me, her eyes blazing.
“Well actually, our schedules don’t really clash all that much.” Abbey slipped a piece of turkey off her plate and fed it to Jude. “It’s nice actually. Sometimes we meet for lunch or Rob will come and visit.”
“Is that so?” My mother looked displeased as she took a sip of wine.
“That’s horrible for the dog, you know?” Victoria spooned out some green peas onto one my niece’s plate. “Feeding it from the table like that. It teaches it bad manners.” At that exact moment, Jude stuck her head under Victoria’s skirt.
My dog could read minds. I wanted to scratch her belly and rub her ears and give her a thousand treats.
“Can’t you put that thing outside?” My mum rolled her eyes but made sure to do it in Abbey’s direction.
Abbey chuckled and beckoned for Jude to come to her. “She’s just a little friendly. She won’t hurt you.” She slipped the dog another piece of meat.
“It gets that slobber everywhere. It can’t be safe for the kids, especially near all of this food.” My mum prattled on, taking every opportunity she had to hit hard. “I bet you’d be able to take it to obedience classes if you didn’t spend all your time at that bakery.” Her tone was sharp, reprimanding.
“Her name is Jude. I think Jude is pretty well behaved considering her age and the fact that she is a big dog living in a small apartment.” Abbey rested her elbows on the table and folded her hands together. Her eyes now blazed.
“No need to get upset dear.” My mom clucked her tongue and went back to eating. “It was just a suggestion.” She feigned a hurt expression.
It got quiet again, except for the sound of Jude’s panting. I squeezed Abbey’s knee, trying to express that she just needed to hang in for a little while longer. She wouldn’t even look at me.
“So have you had a chance to visit Rob on the set?” Lizzie smiled at Abbey. Finally, a peace offering.
“When he was in Aust—”
“Meat is a bit dry, don’t you think dear?” My dad shook his head at my mum’s ridiculous interruption. “I’m sorry, Allie, what were saying?”
“Abbey.” I grit my teeth and polished off my glass of wine.
“Oh! Oh, I’m sorry dear—Robbie used to have a girlfriend named Allie.”
“That was in the 7th grade.” I gave my mum a look, but she ignored me. “Over a decade ago.”
Jesus, I was getting old.
“All the same, dear. You still had one. You know, speaking of Allie, I saw her in town the other day. She’s a lawyer now. Isn’t that something?”
“Wow. Amazing. I’m absolutely besotted.”
Tension hung over the quiet table like a thick cloud.
I noticed everyone had finished eating and I stood up to help clear the table. Lizzie offered to help Abbey and I ushered everyone else into the living room. It was time for the gifts. When Abbey finally came out of the kitchen, wearing the flour covered apron from the other day, my mum glared at her. She always wore it when she cleaned up.
“I see you bring your work home with you.”
“Can I get anyone anything?” Abbey let the comment pass her and wrung her hands together.
“I’m surprised I’m not seeing flour handprints all over the place—actually, I’d like some more wine.”
“Oh yes, me too!” Victoria nudged her husband’s leg.
“Do you have any other alcohol?” Matt looked up wearily at Abbey, trying to smile. Then he looked at me apologetically.
“One second.” Abbey went into the kitchen to survey our beverage choices.
“Come on you guys.” I pointed a finger at my mother. “Pull your fangs out of her, I mean it.”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Robbie.”
“We’ve got beer, vodka, rum, something in a bottle that’s never been opened…scotch maybe? I think it was a gift.”
“I’ll just take a beer please.”
“What do you girls want?” Victoria looked at her two daughters, encouraging an answer.
“Juice.”
“Cola.”
“Uh, OK. So that was one beer, two wines, a juice, and a cola?” Abbey listed off hastily.
“Love, let me help you.” I stood up wearily.
“Sit. It’s alright. What kind of juice?” Abbey waited for an answer but never got one. “Alright then.” She hadn't said one word to me since dinner.
“I’d love a rum and cola if you wouldn’t mind.” Lizzie spoke up. “But I’ll help you.”
“Liz, let her get it. It’s alright.” My mum settled into the couch beside my dad, looking quite pleased with herself. “You’re a guest.”
Abbey turned swiftly on her heel and marched into the kitchen. I wasn’t sure exactly what she was doing, but it sounded like she was had gotten into a battle with the anything that made a clanging noise.
“This is ridiculous!” I stood up. “What is the matter with you? I mean really, can’t you just be civil? Abbey has done nothing but make dinner, get your drinks, take your coats, take your beatings, ask how things are going—you can’t even give her some respect for that?” By that point I was yelling. Victoria sunk back into her chair looking appalled.
“Rob, what are you doing with her?” Her eyes were wide, staring at me disgustedly like I had foam coming out of my mouth
“Why does that concern you? I love that woman. You can’t expect me to sit by and let you rag on her in our flat—are you kidding me?”
“She—”
“It’s obvious she’s only with you for one thing.” My mother lit the match that set off the bomb. I had been waiting for her to make a claim like that.
“You think?” I rubbed my temples. “She works her ass off to pay her half of the rent, yeah that sounds like a gold digger to me. I told her not to, but she hates letting me pay for everything. Abbey has never asked me for anything. Not once! That’s a load of bullshit that you’re saying that about her.”
“Rob—”
“She has done nothing but invite you into our home with open arms. She’s the woman I’m fucking going to marry, alright? Does that settle this? I’m marrying her. I’m making her my wife.”
Everyone went silent after the word “marry”. I heard a loud clatter come from the kitchen.
So much for the right time.
“You can’t be serious?” My mum rubbed her forehead in desperation. “You’ve never wanted to get—”
“Enough, mum. My God just stop it, alright?”

Abbey’s P.O.V.
Had I heard him right? Rob said, and I quote, “I’m marrying her.” That “her” was obviously me. At least I hoped it was.
Had I heard him right?
“Rob?” I walked out of the kitchen slowly. Into the living room—or the 7th Circle of Hell—where it looked as if someone pressed that “Pause” button. Rob stood in the center of everybody, his back facing me. “Rob, what did you say?”
He turned around, hanging his head. “This was not how it was supposed to go.”
“I don’t care. What did you say?” My heart thumped damn near out of my chest as I stepped over things, and quite possibly people, to get to him. My sense of balance was a little off-kilter and I couldn’t even place my surroundings.
“I was going to ask you properly. This was not what I’d planned.” He met me halfway, looking into my eyes.
“Dammit Robert, what did you say?” Our guests watched intently, bewildered. Victoria’s jaw was practically on the ground.
“I want to marry you.” Rob stroked my cheek gently, forgetting about his family.
“Really?” I stepped closer to him, trying to hold back my tears.
“Absolutely. I want to marry you Abbey Dylan Jones. I want to marry you.”
“OK.”
I couldn’t contain anything after that. My cheeks were stained with makeup and my body shook with laughter. I threw my arms around Rob’s neck and kissed him. He held me tightly, kissing me back with equal fervor.
“Well isn’t that something?” Victoria couldn’t let the moment be.
But for once, I didn’t care. Rob was standing in front of me, telling me that I was going to become Mrs. Abbey Pattinson. I didn’t care if Victoria was treating me like a maid. I didn’t care if his mother nearly fainted. I didn’t care that my dog was probably humping something. And I certainly didn’t care if I was frenching Rob in front of his family.
I didn’t care.
♠ ♠ ♠
Will write for comments :)

Thanks for subscribing and reading!