Sequel: The Beat Goes On

After Tonight

Wizard, Vampire,...Father?

People. October Issue. Entertainment

Wizard, Vampire,…Father?
Robert Pattinson’s Next Starring Role Isn’t On the Big Screen
-Lisa Martin, staff writer

After tackling the wizarding world and immortal love, Robert Pattinson, 26, is entering new territory. In a few short months, he’ll be a father. Pattinson and long-time girlfriend Abbey Jones, 26, are expecting their first child sometime in December.
Sitting across from him at a charming corner café in The Village, it’s obvious to see he’s excited. Mention the word “baby” and Pattinson bursts into what has become is signature bashful grin. It is quite a sight, considering previous claims that he wasn’t one for kids.
So why the sudden change of heart?
Pattinson looks out the window, taking a sip of his black coffee. When he looks back at me, I see a face full of hard lessons learned. I notice a few more lines around his eyes, a few more creases here and there, from when we met last three years ago. But his blue eyes are sparkling more than ever.
“These past couple of months alone have been eye-opening,” He sets the cup down and begins fiddling with the brown leather chord around his wrist. “I’ve definitely learned some things. It’s not as if I was a bad guy before all of this, I just think I grew up a quite a bit.”
It isn’t hard to figure out that Pattinson is referring to his sudden split from Jones once her pregnancy was announced. Tabloids slandered the couple, going as far as making claims that the father of the baby was not Pattinson but Jones’ ex-fiancé—a statement that both Pattinson and Jones ignore. After spending several months apart, Pattinson decided that walking out wasn’t in the cards.
“It really was a surprise. It wasn’t planned and we both made really rash decisions at the time. But you know, I mean, I’m not going to go too much into the personal aspect, but we weren’t going to do it without one another. It wasn’t going to happen.”
Even now, with things going on the right track, the couple is still a paparazzi favorite.
“We’re trying to be like everyone else but you know that’s never going to happen when people with cameras pop out from behind corners whenever you’re out. Abbey’s getting used to it, but when they start asking her what kind of food she’s craving, she gets a little uncomfortable.”
For the record, Pattinson adds, her latest craving is chocolate muffins. He happily regales me with a story about a late-night muffin run he and Abbey went on. It’s no surprise that their quest ended at the very café Pattinson asked me to me meet him at. He is all about the baby.
Pattinson is even going as far as quitting one of his favorite hobbies. Smoking.
“For a while, all I did was smoke. It’s been insanely difficult, but I know it’s something I’ve got to do. Abbey’s really happy about it and that’s important.”
As he talks about his first several (feeble) attempts to kick the nicotine habit, a woman steps into the café toting a young girl. One look at Pattinson, who hasn’t taken his eyes off the child, tells you he’s thinking about his own—as if he wasn’t already. The question is, does he want a girl or boy?
“I’m not really sure. I don’t even know what Abbey’s hoping for. She wants to go into this not knowing, so we’ll be happy with whatever it decides to be. We’ve got some names picked out so we’ve at least got that going for us.”
Despite my efforts, Pattinson won’t budge on spilling any of the names. But that is the Pattinson we have come to know: fiercely private about the things that matter most.
He laughs, to himself at first, before sharing that a few fans have suggested names like “Bella” and “Rosalie”. I threw in “Edward” for good measure, which only drew a hearty chuckle.
“We’ve got everything set up, you know, the nursery and such. And as far as I’m aware of, a shower for Abbey is in the works. But of course, I am not invited to that.”
As we continue drinking our coffee, Pattinson’s cell phone rings. Without question, I know it is Jones. A smile lights up his face as he “mm-hm’s”, nods, and tells her that he will go get her a chicken salad from her favorite restaurant.
Scratch that, a strawberry-banana smoothie.
He pushes his cell phone back into his pocket, unable to shake that smile. When I ask him what she wanted, he says she wanted to remind him not to forget about their Lamaze class at four. And of course, to pick up some food on his way home.
I smile to myself, taking note of a side of Robert Pattinson the public has never seen before.
So does this mean there will be competition for the Brangelina clan? Pattinson shakes his head and smiles. It’s not likely. For now, he’s going to focus on the one that’s coming. Whether it be a boy or girl, one thing is for sure—this little baby is going to be loved.