Sequel: The Beat Goes On

After Tonight

Gobble, Gobble

As I balanced mixing the pie filling and folding the crust, I dialed Rob’s cell. I called my boyfriend to apologize and all I got was his stupid voicemail. Rob had seriously taken it too far. All I asked was if had dated Kristen, who cares? I’m sure if we were to switch roles, he would ask me about my former costars. If someone asks, shouldn’t you tell them?
“Dammit.” I breathed, slamming my cell phone onto the counter. Dad walked by just then, “tsking” as he eyed Lila at the other end of the table, fingers in the gravy bowl. I shrugged sheepishly and began working furiously. Keith had more of a mouth than I did, I was positive it wasn't the first time Lila had heard that word.
We were about to sit down for dinner when I tried calling him again. I sighed, feeling the steam shooting out of my nose. He was doing this just to piss me off, I knew it. Keith brought out the delicious looking turkey while my sisters and I carried out the other dishes. Lila graciously accepted the plate her mom handed her, digging into the mashed potatoes instantly. When she looked up, gravy dotted her nose.
By the time dessert was served, I had still hadn’t heard my cell ring. I silently cursed every bone in his body and his charming good looks. Damn him.
It was now time for the videos. Another tradition of ours was watching our family videos, something my siblings, cousins and I had come to dread once we starting bringing our significant others. Chuckling, Keith brought out a bowl of popcorn to pass and sat down next to his wife, Emma, who wrangled Lila by her belt loop and heaved her onto the couch with them. Jo was squished into the loveseat with her boyfriend of two years, Jeff. Jeff was practically a veteran—he’d seen all the home movies. Gracie covered her eyes with stretched hands, making her usual scene as her flavor of the month sat next to her on the ground, looking around awkwardly. Our aunts, uncles and cousins had taken various spots around the big room, all talking and laughing. Hmmm lucky me, I thought bitterly. Rob would have had a field day with this stuff.
And then I could hear his voice, chuckling nervously. It sounded like the night we first met. I asked him whether he wore boxers or briefs and said that it was really the deal breaker for me. Rob gave me quizzical look and considered telling me the truth. Come to find out he prefers boxers. I would have taken him either way.
I smiled slightly, remembering watching him try to ice skate. No balance whatsoever.
And then his voice got louder, talking about bad weather. My ears perked up. It was definitely too close to be coming from my thoughts, and I was definitely not that far gone to be hearing so clearly. Jo’s eyes lit up and she nodded toward the door. There he was, standing in the front door of my parents’ apartment looking for me.
“Abbey.” My mom rushed over to me, clearly jumping out of her skin at the fact he was in her living room. “He’s so much cuter in person—oh and that accent! How do you keep your hands off of him?” I shushed her, embarrassed, but laughed. I couldn’t keep my hands off of him.
So did this mean our fight was over?
“Rob.” I smiled meekly, walking over to him. He looked at me apprehensively, smiling softly. “What are you doing here?” Tension was in the air and if that wasn’t a big enough hint for my family to let us be, our silence was.
“We’ll start those movies now.” Dad cleared his throat and searched for the remote control, exaggerating his find. “Why don’t you guys go into the kitchen—Robert we’ve got leftovers.” Rob nodded politely, giving my parents a 100-watt smile. How I wished one of those could be meant for me.
I lead him into the somewhat secluded kitchen, wringing my hands subconsciously. I could hear bits of my family’s conversation on Rob and I laughed inwardly—all the girls were dazed. Leaning against the counter, Rob cleared his throat. I jumped onto the counter across from him, trying to keep my legs from swinging out of habit.
“Abbey.” He seemed to be at a loss for words. “I’m a bloody idiot.” I smiled, relieved that this was going to be easier than I had expected. “I shouldn’t have gotten so mental about the whole thing. I was sitting in the airport last night and finally switched my tickets for tomorrow’s flight. And then when I got home, I couldn’t call you. I dialed and hung up, which is just stupid. And I know you called but I didn’t know how to really apologize. I just don’t have an answer for the way I behaved. And…”
“You were thinking this would make up for it?” I continued, my hopes somewhat high.
“Er, yeah.” He hung his head, fidgeting with a dishtowel. “Does it?”
“It’s a damn good start.” I couldn’t let him completely off the hook.
“Well, we dated—Kristen and I.”
“I kind of figured that.” I smiled sheepishly. “Why’d you lie?”
“I just didn’t want you to feel, oh I dunno, I didn’t want you to feel uncomfortable with that. So many
things get printed about me that aren’t true and I don’t quite know how to handle them, so imagine how I expect you to handle them? I hate to think that I could lose you over something as stupid as an ex-girlfriend information.”
I hopped off the counter and closed the space between us. His smell was intoxicating as I rested my head against his chest, wrapping my arms around him.
“It’s going to take a lot more than that to drive me away.”
“Oh is that so?” he asked, smiling now. He brushed my hair away from my face and held my cheeks in his hands. “Brilliant.” His lips melted against mine in a sweet kiss.
“Well you’re just in time.” I grinned and pulled him out of the kitchen. “Home movies.”
“Of little Abbey?” he asked excitedly, his hands on my waist as we stopped in the living room. “Good thing the cab driver thought red meant drive like hell or else I wouldn’t have made it.”

Lila had fallen asleep next to Rob on the couch, her head sticking into his side. He looked as uncomfortable as someone stepping on upright needles. I couldn’t help but laugh and offer to put her to sleep in one of our old rooms. Emma looked grateful, seeing as moving around was becoming an annoyance for her as she neared her 3rd month--four months along and the woman looked like she'd stashed a pumpkin underneath her shirt. Keith was on god knows what drink and couldn’t walk a straight line. I went to pick Lila’s tiny body up but Rob got her first.
“Not a fan of kids?” I whispered, trailing behind him as he carried Lila down the hall.
“Am I that obvious?” he laughed quietly, entering the room to which I had pointed out. “I don’t hate them…they just make me feel, oh I dunno, I’m just not quite good with them.”
“Well thanks for pretending.” He laid her into the bed as I pulled back the covers. I was about to leave when Rob stopped me.
“Come here.” He whispered, finding my arms in the dark. I pulled him into the hallway and he pressed me up against the wall, kissing me like I was the water to his dehydration. I had to admit I missed his kisses.
“We’re going to miss Spoons!” I squealed lightly as he kissed the nape of my neck. He kept kissing. “And margaritas! And Poker! And beer!” I felt him laugh, his breath blowing softly against my hair. Rob finally gave up and looked straight into my eyes.
“You’d rather play card games than this?” he asked, looking slightly appalled. I knew he was joking. “I think we’ve been apart too long my dear.” He smiled at me, kissing me again.
“Two days, oh the horror!” I laughed, giving him another kiss before I turned and joined my family again.

The few with children slowly filtered out once Poker began. We always got really into our games, especially when there was alcohol involved. By midnight, I couldn’t stop giggling and Rob had finally looked at ease with my family, who kept interrogating him for useless information. He really seemed to be getting along with Keith, who at the moment had his arm around Rob and the two were singing some old song. I couldn’t make out any words and instead of asking, joined in with my own lyrics. Soon the whole table was singing a random mix of music loud enough for Lila to wander out and tell us that she was trying to sleep.
“It was so great to finally meet you Robert,” my mom gushed, her hands on his shoulders as we stood by the door. “I hope we didn’t scare you!” Rob smiled, pulling it together nicely and telling her that he would be back for Christmas. The two of us stumbled out the door and onto the sidewalk, looping our arms.
“My place,” Rob hiccupped. “Or yours?”
“I think yours is closer.” I concealed a burp as he began to hail a cab. Our hands couldn’t stay off one another during the entire trip and the cabby was eyeing us in the rearview mirror.
“Do you think he’s knows who you are?” I slurred, trying to keep my voice down.
“It’s black out,” Rob hushed me with his lips. “How could he?”
We finally made it to his doorstep, arms tangled and lips swollen. Rob’s apartment was a typical bachelor pad; and like he said, he couldn’t keep a clean house. Clothes were strewn around his bedroom and empty takeout containers littered the coffee table, along with old copies of Rolling Stone magazine and scripts. He pulled me onto the couch with him, fumbling with the buttons on my shirt. I took a breath and helped him along.
Our clothes were tossed alongside the rest of the dirty laundry and we drunkenly made love into the early morning. I woke, my head pounding as well as my heart. Rob stirred next to me, his broad chest rising and falling gently against my arms. I turned to face him, pressing my body against his underneath the blanket I had found sometime around three, and kissed the side of his face. A faint smile appeared on his lips and his blue eyes opened slowly.
“Is your head killing you as much as mine is?” he asked, laughing as he knotted his fingers in my hair.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would lovely, thank you!