‹ Prequel: After Tonight

The Beat Goes On

Enough Already

“Thanksgiving is in four days,” I practically growled into the phone. “Are you planning on gracing us with your presence?”
“Abbey.” Rob sounded worn out. From what, I didn’t want to know.
“What, Rob? What else am I supposed to ask you—‘Oh hey, husband, how is California? Are you enjoying fucking other women and pretending that you’re not about to be a father of two?’—is that what you want me to ask you?”
“Will you cut it out already? Just because I said I needed some time does not mean that I’m fucking somebody else.”
“That is what it’s meant for decades! Of course I will not cut it out.”
“You are making this so much more difficult than it needs to be, you know that right?”
“This was a mistake,” I murmured. He and I just couldn’t get it right, this baby thing. Or the marriage thing.
“What, keeping the baby?” Rob’s voice softened slightly. I could hear him take inhale.
“All of it.” I sunk into the couch until I could sink no further. “We were happy, weren’t we?”
“Abbey…”
“Was it all just me? Has this just been one godforsaken nightmare for you?”
“Of course it hasn’t. We are happy, Abbey, I love you. Okay? I wouldn’t have done…well, a lot of things I did.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes.”
My eyes welled up with tears as I struggled determining Rob’s sincerity.
“I have to go. Ella’s getting up.”
“Abbey—”
I set the phone face down on top of the counter, fighting back the emotion bubbling up in my chest.
“Mom.” Ella stood in front of me. “Mommy.”
“Hm?” I didn’t want to look at her.
“Can I watch Scooby-Doo?”
When I looked at her, I saw Rob. Tears gathered in the corners of my eyes.
“Absolutely.” I bent over and placed a sloppy kiss on her cheek. She giggled and grabbed onto my hand as we walked to the couch.
“When’s Daddy coming home?” Ella nestled into the couch with her three favorite stuffed animals. Her eyes widened in anticipation.
I looked out the window, mustering up one word.
“Soon.”

Rob’s P.O.V.
When Kristen got word that I was in Los Angeles, she wasted no time asking me out to dinner. I obliged, strictly on the grounds that I needed some social interaction. The audition went fairly well, though I was quite distracted. It had been two weeks and I hadn’t had any word on it. Two weeks and the only time I left my hotel was to audition and get something to eat.
I called Abbey every night, but it was always the same. She was upset and I was lost. Ella was the only thing keeping me going. I’d hear her on the other end of the phone, pleading with Abbey to talk to me. Once she got on the phone, she talked for at least a half an hour.
“Mommy really wants you to come home,” she whispered.
“Oh yeah?” I choked out my words.
“Yes. She misses you. Will you bring something?” Ella and her motor mouth.
“I miss her to, Ellie. And you!” I tried to sound upbeat for her sake. “I’ll be home soon, love.”

“So how’s married life?” Kristen’s tone was wry and I wasn’t sure I appreciated that.
“It’s great.” I rolled my napkin in my lap.
“It sure sounds like it. What about Ella? Will she live with you or Abbey?”
“Jesus, Kristen.” I shook my head and looked at her bitterly.
“Alright, sorry. It just doesn’t seem like you’ve got it together with her. Can you really love somebody who completely defies everything you want? I bet you haven’t had a decent conversation since this whole thing started.”
“You’re amazing!” I was nearly shouting at her. “This whole time I thought you loved Abbey, and Ella!”
“I love you more, Rob.” Her eyes darkened as she took my hand. “And I can’t stand to her treat you like this.”