Tonight, Not Again

The Hole

I woke up to an empty bed. Part of me was a little disappointed, though I told myself I shouldn’t be. Rob probably had to skip off to lunch with Julia Roberts or someone of that nature. Though, all celebrities probably weren’t friends like I believed them to be.
Shrugging my shoulders, I heaved myself out of bed and got dressed in a plain t-shirt and the jeans I’d been wearing the night before. The clock said it was eleven o’clock, which meant Adrienne was home and she had either avoided Rob, or smacked him in the face. I was dying to tell her everything about him, how great I was feeling. But after our lunch, she’d been keeping her distance—not that she ever asked for any details before. So really, he was sort of my secret and I felt weird about that.

Audrey’s bedroom door was closed, so I figured I’d grab a quick breakfast and sit on the deck. The sunshine was bright today and I needed my daily vitamin E. Taking a bowl of grapefruit and some raisin toast, I opened the sliding door.
Rob was standing there, against the railing, fully dressed and smoking.

“Well I was going to come out for some fresh air, but seeing as how you’ve poisoned it I think I’ll take a rain check,” I winked and turned back around. I truly did hate smoking, but I strangely didn’t mind that Rob slightly smelled of an ashtray.
“Wait.” Rob put out the cigarette and waved his arms in the air, trying to clear the smoke. I watched, amused, and sat down on the love seat. “Sorry. I didn’t want to wake you up.”
“How long have you been awake?” I chewed my grapefruit and offered him the toast, which he gladly took and nearly ate in a single bite. Men.
“About thirty minutes,” he shrugged. “I figured you would be up soon.” I smiled, a little flattered that he hadn’t just taken off.
“No vanishing act?”
“Don’t you know me at all?” A hint of color flushed his cheeks and he wiped his hands on his legs.
“How chivalrous.” I offered him some grapefruit and he scrunched up his nose.
“Yeah, well—” He smiled faintly as he pulled out his ringing cell phone.

“Hey, Zoey.” Rob shook his head, looking a little distressed. “I’ve got to run.”
“Oh, alright.” I nodded. “I’ll see you later then?”
“Absolutely.” Rob responded eagerly. He kissed me quickly on the lips when he saw Adrienne walkout into the living room. She had really made some impression on him.
I sighed and looked at her and shook my head. Adrienne smiled softly, tapping her fingers against her coffee mug. She offered a small wave, but I ignored it and looked out at the ocean.

Why did I keep digging this hole for myself?