Tonight, Not Again

Like All the Other Guys

To be honest, I knew. I knew from the ignored phone calls, the hasty dinner dates and the near constant refusal to come back to my place.

I would like to meet the bloke who wouldn’t suspect anything about his girlfriend cheating on him from those blatant clues.

It wasn’t long before I saw Kate’s pictures with that other man—the football player—on newsstands and websites. Soon it was on that bloody Perez site and Entertainment Tonight. E! started throwing questions to the masses—“Has Robert Pattinson’s Love Life Gone Sour?” or my personal favorite, “Has Edward Lost His Bella?”. It seemed like the rest of the world new about Kate’s affair before I did. And let me tell you, that wasn’t the most comfortable position to be in.
We’d been dating for about a year, which was quite an accomplishment for me. I met her at an after-party for an award ceremony and we just sort of hit it off. Our work schedules were so similar—Kate was a model—and it just worked. She thought I was funny and I thought she was fantastic in bed. We were quite a match. For the most part.
Well, we probably weren’t that good for one another and had nothing more in common than the fact that we happened to be at the same party that night.

So it was for the better, right?

That’s what I tried to think. I tried not to think about the fact that I had fallen in love with her and really began to like where I thought our relationship was headed. I’d spent an entire week tormenting myself over the details, but I hated moping. I didn’t want to dwell on what could have been because quite frankly, it hurt too much.
So when a few of the guys suggested we hit a club (one called The Blue Palm nonetheless) and get plastered, I agreed whole-heartedly. They also threw in that I needed a “good shagging”. I figured if all the other guys my age were doing it certainly couldn’t hurt. One drunken night with a woman who quite possibly wouldn’t be attractive the next morning wasn’t going to kill me.
♠ ♠ ♠
The beginning chapters are a bit short, bear with me.