Tonight, Not Again

Get Over It, Girl Scout

“So,” Rob began after swallowing a handful of popcorn. “How did the rest of your par-tay go?”He was such a dork.
I dumped some Skittles into my hand, sorting through them quickly and automatically dropping the yellow and green candies into Rob’s waiting hand. We met, after some hefty begging on Rob’s part, at the movie theatre for a matinee. Our movie of choice was 2012, which we both agreed to never see at full price.
“Well, Gabby declared she would leave Milo for you.” I smiled wryly, squishing an orange Skittle between my front teeth. “And my mom kept shooting me dirty looks through the final round of Clue.”

To avoid another confrontation with my mother, Rob left before the others. I had hardly shut the door when he placed an urgent kiss on my lips. It startled me, and made me think that maybe I had misinterpreted those text messages.
“Rob?” I somehow summoned the courage to pop the question.
“Hm?” He kissed me again, eyeing something in the window.
“What are we—”
“We’re under surveillance.” He grimaced and stepped back reluctantly. I sighed. Of all the times for my mother to pry.
“You’d better leave.”
“What were you going to say?”
“Nothing,” I pushed him away feigning laughter. “Now you’d better go before she gets the pitchfork.”
“You said, ‘what are we…’. What were you going to say?”
It was obvious that I wasn’t going to be winning this one.
“I was going to say,” I smiled as I wrapped my arms around his waist (purely for affect). “What are we…doing for my birthday?”
“Oh you were, were you?” Rob smiled at me, grabbing my wrists. “Wouldn’t you like to know?”
With that, he grinned once more and turned around toward his car. He looked back once, delighted by the fact that I still hadn’t broken my gaze.
After witnessing that, my mom clearly wasn’t too pleased. Her goodbye was muttered as she got into her car.

“Why?” He arranged the Skittles thoughtfully in his palm. I grit my teeth. He knew why.
“She just doesn’t want me…with anyone right now.”
“Oh?” I noticed a hitch at the corner of his lips, but he played it off. At the moment, I gave up trying to read him. He was too confusing for me and I didn’t want to waste any more time attempting to figure out what was going on in his mind.
The lights dimmed and the previews began. Because we were seeing it on November 15th, I was secretly hoping to catch a trailer for New Moon. I got my wish. Beside, Rob shrunk down in his seat, covering his eyes with both hands. A Skittle fell out of his grasp and I heard him grumble.
“I cannot wait to see this,” I squealed. Rob looked at me bitterly from behind the safety of his hands.
“Look at those abs. Oh, Lord.” I pinched his elbow and he swatted at me.
“Rob, did you work out for that?” My voice, by this time, was at the highest decibel it had ever been able to reach.
“Why yes, I did.”
“But look at Taylor,” I took a satisfied sip from the Coke. “I think I might be switching teams.”
“You bitch.”

Once the movie finished, I stretched out in my seat. Rob yawned. The theatre emptied out without so much as a glance at the celebrity sitting amongst them.
“I’m leaving tomorrow, for the press tour.”
“Oh yeah…”
“But I’ll be back in a couple of weeks. For your birthday of course.”
“Right.” I smiled slightly, considering his words.