Tonight, Not Again

I Must Be On Crazy Pills

Well, Zoey certainly hadn’t gotten less attractive when I was sober. Waking up next to her wasn’t really what I’d been expecting that morning, but I wasn’t complaining. I spent the entire drive back to my flat thanking my lucky stars that she hadn’t been some crazy fan girl or someone missing any teeth.
Zoey seemed normal. Intelligent, funny, attractive. Someone I could get along with. I would have had to have been insane not to call her up.
But I was already insane for getting dooped into thinking that a one-night stand wouldn’t leave me wanting more. Whoever said those things were easy had obviously been empty and shallow, and had never fallen in love with someone. Ever.
Becoming attracted to somebody else was not part of my Get-Over-Kate plan. It wasn’t part of my friends’ Help-Rob-Get-Over-Kate plan, which is why when I told them about Zoey they immediately told me never to call her again.
In a way, I was absolutely screwed. I had this beautiful girl’s number, but I wasn’t supposed to call her back. I wanted to, but I wasn’t even totally sure that I was ready to date someone. But did I really have to date her, or could I casually see her? Did I delete her number from my mobile, or did I call her up and ask her out properly. If I scrapped her number, the thought of her would eat away at my brain for months. If I started seeing her, it would probably just be considered a rebound.

But would a rebound really be such a bad thing? I could get over Kate. With someone like Zoey. It was like the plan had been handed to be on a golden platter; knowing that she’d found her boyfriend cheating on her, I could guarantee Zoey wasn’t looking for a steady relationship. And it wasn’t like she was just a girl I met on the street (because meeting in a bar was so much better). I’d had a few decent conversations with her, not to mention I’d already slept with her. And she did not own any copies of Twilight as far as I could tell.