Tonight, Not Again

Kevin Bacon Is Bringing Sexy Back

“I’ll just have water for now, thank you.” I turned away from the bartender to a bemused Rob. “What?”
Water eh?”
“I can’t wake up the same way I did the last time,” I laughed. “Besides, it’s only eight thirty.”

The band came on at nine. While we waited, we talked about stupid things. It had turned into more of a game of twenty-questions than an actual conversation. And it was a bit one-sided. Rob only wanted to hear about me. He asked about my family, about my schooling—generic stuff. I knew he was just testing the waters, but I felt oddly at ease with him.
By the time the music started, I’d ordered a vodka tonic.
“Cut me off when I start to dance, alright?” I looked waywardly up at Rob from the corners of my eyes as I took a sip from the straw. He was grinning, simultaneously making my heart melt.
“Now that you said that, I think I want to see your moves.”
“No you don’t.” Rolling my eyes, I pulled out the straw and took a swig from my glass. I enjoyed the tingling sensation the alcohol sent down my throat.
“Oh, but I do.” Rob objected, leaning in closer to me. I could smell the faint scent of alcohol and cigarettes on his breath, only heightening my awareness of him.
“If you do, I don’t think you’ll ever want to see me again.”
“I doubt that.” His eyes sparkled in the dimly lit room.
When I looked up at him, he was nursing a beer and watching the band. I felt a flush of excitement as I watched him take in the music. I liked being there with him. And from the sound of it, he was enjoying my company as much I his.



“What the hell are you doing?” Rob called out over the music, laughing, as I started bopping around to the music. The sad thing was, I wasn’t drunk. Rob had followed orders and cut me off after drink number four.
“I movin’ and groovin’, baby!” I shouted back, grabbing his wrists. It took several minutes of me scrunching up my lips in what I hoped was a convincing pout before he set down his beer.
“I’m only doing this so you don’t fall over.”
“You’re too kind.” I smiled up at him as he swayed awkwardly in front of me. Once he realized that I really didn’t care how much a fool I looked like, he loosened up.

After teaching Rob everything I knew about dancing—think Footloose—we grabbed a couple of beers and found a booth in the corner.
“I have to say, I’m impressed.” Rob smiled mockingly as he took a drink. “I mean, I haven’t seen moves like that since…ever.”
“Well you just haven’t been hanging out with the right people then.” I wiggled my eyebrows and watched as the band dismembered their set. My eyes traveled to Rob, who to my surprise was watching me.
It was all downhill from there. He smiled, I grinned. He chuckled, I giggled. He blushed, I turned crimson.
“Want to get out of here?” I broke my stare and nodded. As he spoke, my body tingled with thoughts of the first night I had spent with Rob. I felt his hands on the small of my back as he led me out the door.
“Where to?”