Epica!

A Feast For The Vain

"Everyone is here. The feast can soon begin." Mephisto put his palm up and a wine glass materialized on it. He raised it up high. Everyone in the hall did the same. Rather awkwardly, Ariel did as the others did. "Vanity we celebrate, my favorite of sins." He toasted and took a drink from his cup. As he finished he tossed his cup aside but it never hit the floor. Instead it disappeared the same way it had appeared.

With a wave of his hand food appeared on the tables. Whole roasted cows, glazed poultry, every possible kind of fruit, turkeys stuffed with chickens who in turn where stuffed with quail. All that and more in a virtual cornucopia of food. Everyone in the room applauded the lavish fest before stuffing their plates with more food than they could possibly eat.

Those who decided to cease their gluttonous stood up danced. Ariel remained at the table gorging himself with whatever he could. He couldn't remember the last decent meal he had eaten. Most of his funds had gone directly into producing somma. Now, he could have as much food as he wanted.

"Everything." Ariel heard someone say. Looking to his left he found Mephisto suddenly manifested with his throne over the seat that had been there moments before. "Everything you look at could be yours." Mephisto declared, his voice echoing throughout the hall. The people within cheered.

Everything. The castle. The food. Even the beautiful woman who stood by idly making conversations with the guests and keeping them entertained. Here, Ariel knew, he would never miss anything. Here could find anything he wanted.

"Come with me my little ones, let's revel for the free!" Mephisto shouted and the tables disappeared giving the dancers that much room. An unknown source of music filled the room and those who had been sitting before stood and found a partner.

Mistress Nine came up to Ariel and asked him for a dance. Caught up in the excitement and in the proposal Ariel accepted. His mind swirled. He was only sure of one thing; he was not alone anymore. Here in the castle within the dark, Ariel had people to go to. A place to stay, and impossibly good food.

Once again he felt the comfort and care he had felt back Home. Here in this castle he could start over and begin anew. Everything he had done wrong had turned into right by coming here. Even the stars themselves shone brighter here.

The music stopped and everyone cheered happily blissfully. All of them happy after done deals with Mephisto. Here the archangel spoke again. "Raise your glass and praise the fact how easy life can be!" he toasted and everyone suddenly had a full cup to toast with.

Still standing by Mistress Nine, Ariel didn't raise his cup. His life could be this easy as well, if he made the deal. But how could a life without it compare to this grandeur. Ariel wanted this life and if it all it took to achieve it was his already condemned soul then it seemed he would end on the better end of the deal.

A crowd had formed around him and Mistress Nine. All of them with their glasses raised high accepting Mephisto's deal for an easy life. They all waited on Ariel who still held on to his cup warily.

"May the life I knew be gone I accept the deed!" He announced holding his cup above all the rest. Everyone cheered and Mephisto descended onto Ariel with effortless grace. In his hands he held a parchment made of a shimmering gold.

"Sign away your soul to me and I will give you anything you desire until the moment you die." Mephisto tempted.

"I will." Ariel started. If he ever experienced any desire that would make him utterly so happy that he would be forever in peace, then he didn't want to live any longer knowing that that single moment had passed. "But one point we have to modify: If there ever is a moment where I wish to linger there forever. Only then, and only then I'm yours and the day I die." As he said it the words in the gold contract changed to match the new deal.

As Ariel reached for he golden pen Mephisto hesitated for a fraction of a second before smiling and graciously giving him the pen. "You make things too easy."

Ariel took the pen which sliced a deep gash on his finger. The blood that trickled down flowed from his hand into a small hole on the side of the pen. Ariel's blood passed through this little hole and filled the pen with blood ink. Ariel waited until a small drop appeared on the pen's tip to sign away his soul to Mephisto.
♠ ♠ ♠
Pretty long wait for this one. On the plus side, my other stories have been developed pretty far. So I'll have more time to work on this one now. Or at least until school starts.

lots of thanks to Alphabet Soup and i eat dinosaurs. Your comments keep this story going