Status: Extremely active

The Watchers

III

Trying to discretely suck in air, Riley gripped the tray with both hands and made her way to the front of the table.

Bracing herself, she plastered a smile onto her face and, with what felt like an eternity, allowed her gaze to meet his.

The effect was instantaneous. The silvery blue glow of his irises brushed all previous thought and intention from her mind and she felt the muscles of her jaw go slack. Then, with an angry and impatient lurch, her heart jump started; it's new, frightened beat breaking through the initial glamour of his eyes.

Riley was suddenly very aware of the stupid look on her face. Her smile had garnered a painful, plastic sheen that she knew must look completely out of place for a clueless human. She was also acutely aware of the blood gliding smoothly under her very delicate; very human skin.

Physically, the man had not moved, however now that her focus was no longer on his eyes, Riley was finally able to comprehend how close they were to each other. It was as if her subconscious was finally realizing how easy it would be for him to reach out to her. He could kill her in an instant if he wanted.

Pushing down the hysterical impulses that were jumping through her skin, Riley set the try down and placed his tea and muffin in near his unassuming looking hands.
She looked back up from the order to find him still staring at her with a bemused and almost mocking smile on his face.

Riley forced her own smile wider and nodded towards the items she placed on the table.

"Anything else I can get you?" She asked, praying he would simply let her get on her way.

The man looked down and absentmindedly began buttering the cut muffin. Riley's eyes were again drawn to the graeph that encircled one wrist. Her mind whirled with possibilities. His tattoo seemed slightly more detailed than hers. She wondered how high his level of protection would be and what sort of creatures something like him needed protecting from.

She decided that she didn't want to know.

"No, not at all, I think I will be content with this," the man replied calmly. He smiled, his odd eyes meeting Riley's again. This time however, they did not drag her as they had before. They were simply pretty blue eyes.

Thrown by his slightly antiquated speech, Riley nodded and picked up the tray, forcing herself not to bolt away from his table.

Riley walked briskly, forcing the stale air she had kept trapped in her lungs. She glanced at the clock and nearly cried out with relief. Her shift was finally over.

Placing the tray back on the cashier counter, Riley smiled briefly at the woman who came to take her place and headed for the door.

She was pushing on the heavy glass door and just beginning to step out into the claustrophobic heat of another mid-July day when she heard it.

Almost bleeding into the background noise of the coffee shop was the man's lyrical voice.

"I look forward to seeing you Riley Starkweather. Soon."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long delay!