Status: Extremely active

The Watchers

VI

With trembling hands, Riley brought her mug to her lips under the watchful and probing eyes of the strange man that had broken into her kitchen. Studiously avoiding his gaze, she picked at her chipping nails for a few moments before breaking the oppressive silence.

“So are we going to sit here all night or are you going to tell me why you so graciously attacked me in my living room a few moments ago, not to mention why you followed me at work?” Riley could feel her fear receding. It was gradually being replaced with annoyance, exhaustion, and fear.

Sighing, the mysterious stranger broke his statue-like stillness to fix his eyes on her again. Riley felt no pull from them as she had before, he was simply studying her face with an interest that bordered on obscene. Riley fought her rising blush and waited patiently for his reply.

“I am here because you have something very important to me, well, not just me, but my brethren as well. I have come to you seeking your help with my appointed mission –“

“Whoa there Princess Leia,” Riley snorted, cutting him off completely, “just cut to the chase here, who are you and what do you want?”

Fascinated, Riley watched as his jaw muscles clenched. The left corner of his mouth twitched slightly before he seemed to settle himself.

Someone doesn’t like being interrupted, Riley thought with a slight smirk.

The man straightened upward, and as he did so, Riley felt him draw his power inward. It washed over her, caressing her skin and drawing goose bumps. A piercing shriek tore through Riley’s head as his power thrust outward again. The lights in her kitchen dimmed and then flared, reflecting plumes of feathers that weren’t really there. A loud rushing sound filled the space around the two of them, whipping her hair and tearing the mug from her hands. Riley screamed soundlessly as she felt invisible feathers tumbling against her bare skin. After what seemed like an eternity, the maelstrom began to die down. Riley opened her eyes, stupidly aware that she had crouched down in front of the chair she had been sitting in, in an attempt to protect herself. She looked up and shrieked. In the chaos, the stranger was nearly nose to nose with her, his brilliant blue irises filling her vision. Infinitely slowly, he reached out and ever so gently caressed her cheek.

In that moment, everything was still.

He broke it with his voice; commanding her attention.

“Dear mortal, you wish to know who I am?”

His voice thundered through her bones, rippling her blood.

“I am Michael.”

“I am the archangel.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Lo siento amigos.