We Come Out At Night 4

Chapter 18

------------------------------
Gates
The following morning
------------------------------

As I drove to the hospital, my mind kept going back to the little chat I had with Christ last night. I had hoped that Kristina would repeat those words and more to me. I stopped at the florist and got her some flowers. Not that she would be able to enjoy them right now, but I wanted to bring her something so when I wasn’t there she would have a little reminder of me.

When I walked into her room, she was still asleep, but she wasn’t alone. “What are you doing here?” It kind of annoyed me a little bit that Shadows was sitting in Kristina’s room with her. Not because I was jealous, but because I knew he was there for all the wrong reasons.

“Same thing you are. I came to see Kristina.” I wanted to ask why because I knew there was a reason, but out of respect for Kristina, I wasn’t going to start an argument in her hospital room. I didn’t say anything; I just set the vase of flowers down on the table beside her bed.

“I don’t suppose she woke up while you were here?”

“No.” He shook his head. “Doctor said she had a rough night, she’s probably exhausted.” I wanted to pick her up and take her home with me so I could care for her myself, but I knew that wasn’t smart. I hate hospitals.

I turned my attention away from Shadows and faced Kristina’s bed. I lightly traced my finger over her arm and she opened her eyes. When she looked up at me I stopped moving my finger over her arm and took her hand in mine.

“I love you.” She whispered three words to me and it was like she recited and entire encyclopedia. Nothing made me happier.

“I love you too.” I couldn’t resist her. I leaned forward and lightly pressed my lips to hers and kissed her.

“Can I have some water?”

I walked away from the bed and over to the table that held a pink plastic pitcher filled with ice water and poured her a cup. She was watching my every move. I don’t think she realized that Shadows was here too. When I got back to the bed, I slipped my hand under her head and lifted it so she could drink from the cup. After she had enough, she moved her face to the side away from the cup.

“Better?”

“Yes.” She smiled a weak smile. “I’m so tired Brian.”

“I wont mind if you go back to sleep.” I assured her, but I knew she would try and keep her eyes open as long as she knew I was there.

“Did you save Izzy?” There it was, the words she had said to Christ. Shadows and I were both looking at each other before I looked back at her.

“Kristina, Izzy left because she wanted to.”

Shadows stood and walked over to the bed where I sat beside Kristina. She looked completely confused and like she was about to cry. “No, she didn’t.” I could see her eyes starting to glass over now. “Marco made her leave.”

“What do you mean?” Shadows asked her and hung on her every word as she spoke.

“He stabbed me when I tried to stop him.”

“Marco did this to you?” I asked fighting back my own rage.

“Yes.”

Shadows and I both looked at each other and neither one of us had suspected Marco. I don’t know who felt like the bigger idiot, him or me.

“Kristina, I don’t understand.” Shadows leaned over the bed and smoothed his hand over her hair. “How did you and Izzy end up in the same place as Marco?”

She swallowed hard and I reached for the cup of water so she could drink from it again. After she took another sip, she started to explain. “I was getting out of my car and when I started to walk back to the casino, I saw the back of Marco’s car sticking out from behind the casino.”
She turned to face me now and I could see that the water in her eyes was about to spill over. “I know I should have went for help, but I wanted to do something before it was too late. As I got closer I could hear him talking to someone and then I heard Izzy’s voice.”

“Then what happened?” I wanted her to continue, but there was a big part of me that was afraid we were pushing her to hard.

“He threatened her. He told her she had 15 minutes to go upstairs and tell Shadows it was over between them and meet him back at his car. He said there were four sharp shooters at different places in the casino and if she didn’t come back in 15 minutes, he would give them the order to shoot Shadows on sight.”

Shadows was white as a sheet. I don’t think he expected this. Izzy loved him, it was plain for all to see. She left for that reason only, so she could protect the man she loves.

“How did you get stabbed?” I asked.

“I tried to make Izzy come with me and get help, but Marco stopped me.”

I hate that motherfucker. If it wasn’t personal before, it was now. When the nurse came in to the room, she asked us to wait outside while she checked over Kristina. I followed Shadows out to the hall and I knew there was going to be an all out war now.

“I’m going to kill him.” Shadows had his hands balled into fists. This wasn’t going to be pretty.

“You and me both.” I nodded, but I knew that I would have to put Kristina first and I wasn’t going to leave her to go deal with Marco. I wasn’t going to let her feel like she was second best anymore. “When we go back in there, I don’t want anymore questions. I think Kristina’s had enough drama.”

“Sure.” he nodded.

The nurse came out and told us that we could go back inside and that someone would be by shortly to bring Kristina breakfast.

I returned to Kristina’s side and sat down on the bed beside her. The nurse had raised the head of the bed so that Kristina wasn’t lying flat anymore. I took her hand in mine again and she smiled at me.

“I’m gonna take off.” Shadows walked over and leaned down over Kristina. “Feel better, baby.” He smiled and kissed her head before leaving.

When he was gone, Kristina turned her head to look at me and I could see she was fighting a yawn as her hand covered her mouth. “You should get some rest.”

“I wish I had some coffee, I’m so tired.”

“I don’t know how you don’t bleed coffee as much as you drink it.” I teased and she laughed, but then she winced and put her hand over her stomach.

“It hurts when I laugh.”

I stood up and pulled the covers up over her. “Why don’t you close your eyes for a little while. I’m going to go sit right over there in that chair and when you wake up, that’s where I’ll be.”

“Ok” She nodded and closed her eyes. I sat down in the chair and covered my face with my hands in frustration. I could have killed Izzy if Kristina didn’t tell me what happened. What a heart Kristina had, Izzy had been so mean to her and she tried to save her anyway. Kristina could have walked away and not said anything, but she put her life on the line instead.

While she slept, I went outside and called Christ to let him know that Kristina was talking and explained the situation to him. I know that Shadows was probably going straight to The Rev for help, but I had other plans. I told Johnny to let Vengeance know that I wanted to see him later tonight. I wanted Marco and Vengeance had the one thing that would draw him out of hiding. Mari.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's almost time...