We Come Out At Night 4

Chapter 2

-----------------
2 Days Later
The Rev
-----------------

She put up a fight. Of course, I knew she wasn’t going to give herself to me willingly. So, I took what was rightfully mine in the form of her dignity, her pride and her virginity. Yeah, the last one I wasn’t expecting, I figured with a body like hers, she’d have been around the block a time or two, but no. I was her first and that made it all the more sweet for me.

She clawed at me and screamed, but I ignored her the whole time. Afterwards, she just curled herself up in a ball and cried. There wasn’t a place on her body that didn’t have a bruise. Some were yellow and fading, some were fresh and reddish purple. All had been put there by my hands alone.

I’m not an evil person, but if you hurt my family, I will hurt you ten times worse. Sure Shadows was the buff one that men had come to cower before and Gates was the brain that could outsmart anyone, although he too was buff, but not as big as Shadows, it was his smarts that got him out of many sticky situations. Vengeance was funny, outgoing and friendly, he too was smart, but his best quality was his personality. That left Christ who was the runt of the litter. Tiny and a little soft spoken, but the man could drink like a fish and hold his own in a fight when we needed him to do so.

That leaves just one more, me. I’ve been the wingman, the partner, the drinking buddy, the listener, the best friend and the brother to all four of them. So when you hurt any one of them, you hurt me too and I will strike back worse than Shadows.

“Knock Knock.” I turned my gaze to the doorway to see Izzy standing there. “Can I come in?”

“Yeah, sure.” She walked into my living room and sat on the couch beside me. “Ok, what’s the matter?” I could see it all over her face that something was wrong.

“Do you think Shadows will leave me?”

“Are you crazy? Why would you think that?”

“Well, I haven’t been able to be intimate with him since the night you brought me back from The Maker’s Marc. I’ve only been able to let him kiss me, but nothing more.”

I put my arm around her shoulder and squeezed her “You’ve lost your mind. That man was willing to die for you, there’s no way in hell he’s going to leave you for something so stupid.”

That was the truth. I never thought he would ever love anyone after Kiera, but now, he loves Izzy so much more. If there is anything I know about Shadows, it’s that when he loves, he loves whole-heartedly and doesn’t give up.

“I don’t want to disappoint him.”

“Izzy, don’t take this the wrong way, but don’t you think you should be having this conversation with Shadows instead of me?”

She looked up at me with knowing eyes. “I suppose.”

“Well, then you better go.”

When she left, my thoughts went from her back to London. I’d saved Izzy from a horrible fate, but in some way I wondered what made me any better than those men in that room the night I saved her. It only took the image of Vengeance lying in a hospital bed to push that thought from my mind.

---------------
Gates
---------------

“She’s definitely not at The Maker’s Marc. I went and checked it out myself and I had Chelsea ask some of the girls there if they’d seen Kristina. They all said no.”

I nodded. “Thanks.”

When Christ left, I sat down on my couch and looked over at the empty office. Right about this time was when Kristina would be walking through the door with her cup of coffee ready to start her day.

Yesterday, I went to the university that she was attending part time while she worked for me, and the office administrator told me that Kristina had dropped out. Shadows had people looking for her day and night and I knew my time was limited. I had gone to the cemetery and waited there to see if she would show up, but she hadn’t. If there was any place that she would eventually show up, it would be at Olivia's grave. So, there I would wait.