We Come Out At Night 4

Chapter 6

--------------
Shadows
--------------

It was quiet. Actually, it was a little too quiet for my taste. Marco, for sure, had to have received the divorce papers to sign by now. Yet, there had been no word from his end. No message, no threats not to sign the papers, nothing. It wasn’t like Marco not to retaliate. The fact that he was quiet all of a sudden worried me more than it did when he wasn’t.

As I stood on the terrace looking over the at the city that was sprawled out below me, I contemplated striking first. Kill or be killed. That would put Izzy in danger for sure. There is no worse feeling then that of a sitting duck. I don’t know how much more Izzy would be able to take.

Speaking of Izzy, I turned my head to the side just as a pair of arms slid themselves around my waist. Her hands rested on my stomach and I covered them with mine as I turned my gaze back out to the city lights. “What are you doing awake?”

“I can’t sleep without you.” There was something in the tone of her voice that old me it wasn’t as simple as that. When I turned around, I leaned back against the railing and took her hands in mine.

“Is that all?” She couldn’t fool me and she knew it. Her eyes met mine as I waited for her answer. She wasn’t very forthcoming either. Izzy was always pretty outspoken and right now she was quiet as a mouse. “Izzy, if you don’t tell me, I can’t help you.”

It irritated me a little that she was so uncomfortable right now. If there was anyone she should feel comfortable with, it was me. So, with her hand already in mine, I led her back into the living room and sat down on the couch with her sitting beside me. “It’s just you and me here, Izzy. Tell me what’s up.”

“It’s just that the last few nights, you’ve been getting out of bed and sleeping on the couch.” This was true. I nodded and waited to see where she was going with this. “I know it’s because of me. If you’re going to leave me, please tell me. I can’t handle any more surprises.” She was full on crying now and I can’t even imagine what could have brought this on.

I cupped her face in my hands. “What would possess you to think that my sleeping on the couch was your fault?”

“You don’t have to lie, Matt. I know it’s been hard not having sex and I’m sorry that I’m still not ready.” Oh man. How did we get here? I grabbed her and lifted her up and rested my legs across the couch. I set her on my lap and pulled her down so that she was resting on my chest.

“Do you have any idea how crazy you drive me?” I asked her while my hands rubbed her back. “I mean you come into my life when I’m at an all time low and turn my whole world upside down. I was in no way ready for you, and hell, I didn’t even like you at first. I had enough bad shit to deal with, the last thing I needed was another girl running around my casino spreading drama at every turn.”

Izzy lifted her head and looked up at me as if she was about to say something, but I put a finger over her lips and stopped her. “Then, you made me love you. So much so that when that bastard took you from me it felt like my heart was ripped right out of my chest. I was completely lost without you. Izzy, my not being able to sleep at night has nothing to do with sex. I just come out here and sleep on the couch so I don’t wake you.”

Blue eyes stared right into mine as if they were searching them for something. Was I so hard to believe? “I promise you, it doesn’t bother me that we stopped having sex. I can wait as long as it takes. I just have a lot on my mind lately and it’s not because of you.”

“Are you sure?”

“About as sure as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow.” She laid her head back down on my chest and I brought my hand up and buried it in her hair. “I love you, Isabella.” I never meant those words more than I did right now. She was my sun, moon and stars. My world. It would kill me to lose her.

-------------------
Marco Montes
-------------------
From where I stood on the terrace, I could see the lights of The Sidewinder. I wondered which of those lights belong to the room that Izzy was in right now. When she first came here, she was afraid to stand out on the terrace.

[Flashback]

“I don’t want to go out there.” She protested. It was my favorite place to be and I wanted to share it with my favorite person.

“You can’t fall off, I promise!” It was hard not to laugh at how timid she was being right now. “Do you trust me?”

“Yes, of course I do.”

“Then give me your hand.” She held out her hand for me to take and I led her out to the terrace. The night air was cool and every star in the sky had come out tonight to greet us. When I turned to look back at Izzy, she had her hand over her eyes. I chuckled lightly and pulled her hand away from her face. “You are as safe as you’ve ever been, that I promise you.”

I moved behind her and put one arm around her waist. “Look up.” I said and pointed to the sky. “See that?”

“The star?” She asked turning her head to look back at me.

“That, my love is no star.” She looked back at the bright shining dot in the sky. “That is Venus.”

“The planet?”

“Yes.” I laughed. “The planet. Some call it the evening star, but unlike stars, it doesn’t twinkle. It just sits there shining brightly. Most people don’t even know it’s a planet.”

“That’s amazing.” She smiled and continued to star up at the planet.

“See, it’s not so bad out here, is it?” I kiss the side of her neck and watched her curious face take in the scenery.

“Well, that’s looking up. As long as I don’t have to look over the railing, we’re good.”

I laughed again and moved around to stand in front of her. “You are just adorable some times.” I took both her hands in mine and slowly pulled her forward.

“This isn’t funny.”

“You said you trust me.” I led her further out on the terrace until we were just inches from the railing. “There’s nothing to be afraid of.”

“Really, well what if …if… you know what if…” I laughed again and walked away from her leaving her standing there by herself.

“What if you just looked out over the railing? Just forget how high up you are and look at the city before you.”

I stood against the wall with my hands in my pockets watching her, waiting for her to see what I have the pleasure of seeing on a nightly basis. “It’s alive.” She whispered.

“Very much so.” I agreed. I was going to enjoy showing her my world and all the things in it. There was the pretty side and then there was the not so pretty side. I wasn’t sure how she would react to the not so pretty, but she would learn to like it.

“What’s that?” She asked snapping me from my thoughts. I walked over to where she stood so I could see what she saw.

“That place with the snake on top.”

“That is The Sidewinder and you should stay far away from there.”

She turned to look at me with a questioning gaze, but I wasn’t about to explain my reasoning behind my statement. “I think you’ve had enough excitement for one night.” I took her hand in mine and kissed her lips. “Lets go back inside.”
We walked back through the terrace doors and spent the rest of the night in front of the fireplace with a bottle of wine and soft music. The Sidewinder would be a story for another day.

[End Flashback]

I had infiltrated The Sidewinder on more than one occasion and now I had more of a reason than ever to do it again. I’ve given Shadows enough of a reprieve, but he has something that belongs to me. My wife.

I had her first and the son of a bitch wasn’t going to steal her from me. Sure, he can play with her for a little while, just like a toy, but she was my toy and I want her back. Little did my Izzy know, she was going to be the one to help me bring down Shadows.

After walking back inside from the terrace, I lit a cigar and blew out a steady stream of smoke. Shadows wont know what hit him. When I get through with him, he’ll wish he were dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two men on the terrace at the same time, both thinking about the same person...hmmm.

P.S. It's true, on a clear night you can see Venus, it's the brightest "Star" and the only thing brighter in the night sky is the moon.

P.P.S. I may start to do updates every other day instead of every day. If you havent noticed, my updates have been coming late at night. Havent been able to get on my lap top as early in the day as I would like too this week due to the move, and because of that my updates have been rushed and I seem to be making gramatical errors left and right. Sorry for that. So, until I can get back on a regular schedule and focus a little clearer, i'm going to take a day off in between to edit. Of course I probably wont stick to my word and end up updating every night anyway, but if I don't it's only because i'm not hooked on phonics lately LOL!