The Mathematics of Love Triangles

A Grand Escape

As Robin turned down my street, I asked, "What do you have planned for next week? I'd like to see you as much as possible over the break."

A devious smile crossed his face, and he answered, "Be waiting for me at the crack of dawn. I'm taking you away."

"Away?"

"Far away."

As he pulled into my driveway, I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.

"Don't!" he panicked. "We're at your house!"

"Relax; no one's home."

"Well, in that case..." Robin grabbed my neck and kissed me in such a way that I wouldn't rest until I saw him again, early tomorrow morning.

Until we ran away together.



I was packing my bags when I heard my parents come in the front door. Quickly, I hid the evidence in my closet and lied on my bed, pretending to read a book. My mom opened my door.

"Lindsae!" she spoke with exaggerated surprise. "My, you're home early!"

"It's six thirty, mom," I muttered.

"And usually, you stay out much later. Are you ill?"

"I was at school," I said, honestly, "studying." Well, at least it was partially true.

"Oh! German, I hope. Have you seen your grades? Actually, come to think of it, the only class you're doing well in is physics."

I shrugged. "I guess Mr. Mitchell and I just understand each other."

Mom smiled. "I'm glad you're getting along with at least one of your teachers, honey." She kissed me on the forehead. "Dinner will be ready in a few minutes." She left, the door closing behind her. Almost made me feel bad about leaving her behind.

Almost.



Sneaking out of my house before the sun came up was quite a task, but not nearly as irritating as the cold wind that stung my skin as I sat on the front porch for the longest half hour of my life. Finally, I saw Robin's car turn onto the street and stop silently in front of my house. I had barely made it into the vehicle when Robin took off.

I didn't even breathe until we were out of the neighborhood. Then, as the heat of Robin's car warmed me, I took a deep breath and exhaled laughter. Robin and I were roaring as we sped down the interstate.

"You should have seen your face when I started driving away!" Robin teased me.

"I almost fell out!" I retorted, punching him in the arm.

"I had to keep driving," he insisted. "I saw a light come on in your house."

My jaw dropped to the floor, and Robin's lips curled into a smile. "No, I'm joking," he laughed. "I did think I saw something, but I'm sure it was just my imagination."

"I certainly hope so," I said, crossing my arms over my chest as I watched my old world fly by out the car window.
♠ ♠ ♠
To me, this part seems a bit too fragmented. :/