The Mathematics of Love Triangles

What else did I have to be proud of?

I stirred when Robin rolled out of bed and watched him strut into the bathroom, not bothering to close the door behind him. Seconds later, the inviting sound of the shower being turned on almost impelled me to join Robin under the flow of the hot water, but my stomach was grumbling, so I dialed room service and ordered breakfast. As I hung up the hotel phone, I heard the buzz of Robin's cell from the pocket of his jeans.

I wasn't usually nosy, but I located the phone and peeked at the caller ID. The wife. Of course; I had almost forgotten about her. What had he said to her? Had he lied, or simply left without saying goodbye? I listened to her message—

"Robin? Robin, where are you? I'm scared out of my mind. Call me back as soon as you get this."

—and then deleted it, along with her call from the call log.

"He's mine now," I whispered, the plain white walls the only witness, "and no one's going to stand in my way."

Robin came out of the bathroom with a towel on as our breakfast arrived. The maid placed the trays on the table, noticed Robin standing half-naked in the doorway, and left, blushing.

"What did you say to her?" Robin asked as he dug around in his suitcase for clean clothes.

"Pardon?"

"I thought I heard voices." He had mistaken his wife's shrill, frantic cries of worry for a conversation between myself and the maid.

"I was just bragging," I lied, smiling.

"About what?"

"You." I kissed his cheek, and he rolled his eyes.

What else did I have to be proud of?
♠ ♠ ♠
My chapters are getting short.