Ain't No Rest For The Vain

part three of three;

It had been two months after the case of the model had been named cold and put in the back of the filing room.

Detective Darren Matthews was still haunted by the dead, bloody green eyes that stared at him from the mirror. Nothing made any sense about the case.

She was a photographer, made most of her money by modeling for students and doing small jobs for a few local magazines. Who could possibly have done that to her? She had no known enemies... Maybe someone with an obsession? A wannabe? It just didn't add up!

_______

Valerie stared at the crumbled up piece of paper in her hand. It was now or never... She grabbed her cell phone from beside her and flipped it open. Her thumb pushed the seven numbers slowly; making sure it was the correct one. She brought the speaker up to her ear and listened...

It rang...
once
twice
thrice
fourth
fifth
sixth...

"Hello?"

Valerie's breath instantly caught. How had she gotten his number? How did she know about him?

"Hello, anyone there?"

She gulped down what courage she had, and spoke.

"Hey Michael, it's Valerie. We have math together..."

_______

There ain't not rest for the vain... until the flawless is finally flawed.