Gravity's Rainbow

Chapter V

“Why do I feel like half the time we spend together is in an airport?” I groaned the next night, burying my face in Zack’s chest. I knew that he had to go back home, but it didn’t seem fair that he had to leave so soon. I felt like he had just showed up at my dorm room a few hours ago.

“Or at a train station,” he added, referring to the time I saw him in Europe.

“Yeah, those too.”

I felt his arms wrap around my waist and he pulled me in closer to him. “C’mon, Paise. Don’t be upset. If you’re upset, then I’ll be upset the entire way back. And that’ll just suck.”

I glanced up and asked, “If I’m still upset, will you stay longer?” He just chuckled.

“I’ll call you every night,” Zack promised.

“And text me all the time,” I said. He nodded.

“But only if you send me those photos you promised.” I blushed, hoping he had forgotten about those. “Yeah, I figured you would have wanted me to forget about the pictures.” Zack kissed the top of my head. “I won’t.” I knew I wouldn’t be getting out of this promise anytime soon.

“But they’re only for you,” I muttered quietly.

“What, you think I’d go and show other people?” He asked incredulously. I didn’t respond. “Babe, I’m not sharing you with anyone.” I smiled, mostly to myself, but I knew Zack had seen, too. For some reason, his answer was both reassuring and flattering. “So that means those photos had better be pretty damn racy.” I couldn’t hold the laughter in for much longer.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. You’ll be happy with whatever I send you.” He grinned, leaning down and catching my lips in a kiss. I responded by wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him closer to me. When he pulled away a few moments later I instantly gripped his hand in mine, though we both knew he had to begin the trek through security. I didn’t want to ask him to stay again – I had nearly begged him on the way to the airport – but I desperately just wanted to inquire one more time.

“I had better go,” he said softly, and I reluctantly let go of his hand.

“Yeah, you don’t want to be late.” I stared down at the ground for a few moments before I felt him pull me in for one last hug.

“I’ll miss you. So, so much.”

“I’ll miss you, too.”

------------

“So did the boy toy leave?” I heard a voice ask, and when I looked up from my lying position on my bed I saw Mary leaning against the frame of the door.

“Yeah,” I responded quietly, letting my head fall back on the pillow. “He left about an hour ago.”

“That sucks,” she muttered, letting herself in and sitting down on my desk chair. “Did you have fun with him while he was here?”

“Uh hu,” I said, smiling to myself as I thought over the past two days. “Lots of fun.”

“Did you sleep together?” She pressed, smiling slightly.

“Did we – no!” I exclaimed, sitting up quickly. “No, we didn’t sleep together.”

“Seriously?” Mary said. “He comes to visit all the way from California, and you don’t even sleep with him? Paisley, he’s hot! Why didn’t you?”

I just shrugged. “I’m not really sure.” And to be honest, I wasn’t. I felt like I wanted to, and it’s not like I’m a virgin, so what was holding me back? What was holding him back?

“Well, that’s why they invented phones,” she consoled. “For hot, steamy, phone sex.” I blushed at the mere thought.

What a prude I was.

“Maybe,” I muttered, putting my hands behind my head. “I promised him I’d send him some photos of me when I had to go bra shopping, so…”

Mary laughed. “You’re adorable, Paisley. You really are.” She paused, glancing at her nails, before asking, “Do you want to go to a party tonight? My friend Kyle’s throwing a huge party tonight, free alcohol and everything.”

“Eh,” I mumbled, looking at my clock. “It’s kind of late. I think I’m just going to go to sleep.”

“Self pity,” said Mary with a smirk. “I like it. Well,” she began, standing up and pushing the chair back in. “I’m going out to the party. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

“Have fun,” I said, watching as she shut the door behind me. I reached over to my phone, looking to see if Zack had texted me. He hadn’t. I tossed it on the other end of my bed, pulling the covers up to my chin. As I tried to get comfortable, I realized that my bed wasn’t nearly as comfortable without Zack in it with me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know my updating has been suckish lately, but I'd like to thank anyone who's been reading any of my stories and been sticking with me.

Your support means everything to me!

I promised once school ends (14 days and counting!) I'll be a million and a half times better :D