Status: Active

Something Unexpected

Just Like War

Avery’s POV

I tugged at my dark wavy hair in the mirror trying to make it fall in light waves, but it wasn’t working. My aunt’s hair looked gorgeous as always, and mine, stale and just, bland. I pulled at my top adjusting the strap on the tank top and bringing down my shorts. I felt uncomfortable for some reason.

“Avery you look beautiful stop messing around” My aunt’s hand grabbed my shoulder suddenly tightening.

“I think their here!” She spoke loudly and excitedly walking to the door when a loud knock was heard. I couldn’t tell if Adrian was pounding at the door, or if that was the sound of my heart beating loudly in my ears. Diana straightened up and smiled opening the door, causing my pulse to stop, this was it, the moment of truth, maybe Lucas decided not to come.

Adrian’s figure walked in through the door laughing loudly and pulling my aunt tightly to him giving her a kiss on the lips and then stepping aside letting the second figure walk into the house. Lucas Kane stood at the doorway sunglasses in hand, with his dark brown windswept hair lightly brushing against his infamous crystal blue eyes. I felt my body stiffen as his eyes wandered over to me narrowing in confusion. His leather jacket clung onto his built torso, and his chest was held back tightly by the white shirt he wore underneath. The jeans he wore were perfectly tailored dropping to his feet showing only the tips of what seemed to be maybe converse.

“Oh Adrian, this is my niece Avery” I watched my aunt rush over to me, while I stood almost cemented in place, I didn’t want to even move from the spot I had planted my feet, but my urging aunt grabbed my arm almost dragging me in front of Lucas and Adrian.

“Well Avery! You’re one beautiful young lady, isn’t she Lucas?” Adrian glanced back at Lucas who didn’t move a muscle. His eyes were glued on my face bringing a faint flush to my cheeks. What was he starring at?

“Lucas?” Lucas nodded and shrugged and thankfully for one second looked up at Diana and actually pulled a smile on his lips.

“Hello Mrs. Brooks, I’m Lucas, Adrian’s son” Lucas shot his father a look almost criticizing the fact he hadn’t been properly introduced. Before my aunt got a chance to hug him he extended his hand stopping her half way through her step. She glanced down, hiding a frown, but taking his hand and shaking it.

“Hi Lucas, your father has told me so much about you” Her smile was sincere; his on the other hand was not. A forced laugh escaped his lips which I saw right through, but my aunt instead looked delighted and thrilled that he had almost accepted her.

“Only good things I hope?” He smiled at my aunt making a large smile come on her lips. She nodded and allowed a small laugh to enter the room. Look at him, Mr. Charming.

“Of course, there was only good things” Suddenly almost planned, by aunt starred at me and opened her mouth a large smile still on her lips.

“Avery! Why don’t you show Lucas to his room?” His eyes glanced at me almost approvingly, but suddenly they changed to annoyance like I was just an obstacle in his way. Again my feet planted themselves on the tile and my aunt had to hint again what she wanted me to do. Almost reluctantly I pulled myself out of the living room but Lucas still stood a few paces behind me.

“Are you coming?” I asked trying to be friendly, he looked at his luggage and grabbed it pulling them off of the ground and following behind me. A forced smile came onto his lips and from that point on I knew Lucas would only be decent in front of Diana and Adrian, but around me he’d be a total jerk. As soon as we were out of an earshot he cleared his throat as we climbed the stairs.

“Do you need help with your luggage?” I glanced down at him to see him raise his eyebrows.

“You didn’t help downstairs” He scoffed, then the annoyance faded and he quickly smirked.

“You looked pretty shocked to see me in your doorway” It almost sounded like a mock. Ugh, worst summer, this was going to be the worst summer.

“Well you weren’t exactly the person I ever wanted to see at my doorway” Lucas looked almost looked shocked as he frowned, letting out a small laugh.

“You’re not a fan?”

“A fan of what, a spoiled celebrity who can get anything he wants but screws up his chance when he gets it?”

“Obviously I’m not here to get along, but I was trying to act decent, but you’re making this pretty damn difficult” He walked faster coming up beside me on the steps and stopping leaning close to my face causing me to press my back against the wall.

“Look, I don’t care what you do or what you say, I don’t approve of this marriage either, so don’t expect anything nice to come your way if you don’t at least act like you want your dad to be happy” I stated while Lucas scanned my face and then smiled taking a step back.

“Look Plain Jane, I’m not going to treat you any better then I treat my waiter so don’t even try to threaten-“ I cut him off and then stepped forward making him press his back against the rail this time.

“Look asshole” I mocked smiling.

“I’m not telling you to treat me nice, I honestly don’t give a flying shit about you, as long as you don’t screw up this marriage for my aunt, or possibly threaten her happiness in any way, I won’t get in your way, and you don’t get in mine” Lucas didn’t object but he didn’t look happy either. I felt his suitcase press against my leg before he turned around and walked up the steps. I fell a few steps behind him trying to keep my distance as we climbed the stairs walking into the hall.

“That’s your room, I’m in the room right across if you need anything” Then I brushed past him opening my room door before he called out.

“Trust me the things I need, you probably couldn’t give me if you tried” I glanced past my shoulder to watch that large smirk hug his lips.

“Well I’m not exactly the blonde Hollywood whores you get your pictures taken with, and plus I’m not attracted to you in any shape or form, so your right, I couldn’t give you what you needed if I tried” I smiled and then opened my door slamming it behind me and locking it. Then the wall I had up shattered and I felt the tears come to my eyes.

“Plain Jane?” I whispered feeling the pain strike in my chest. What was I even crying about? How could I ever even think it wasn’t going to be this bad? We all knew it was going to be like this, I guess I had lied to myself trying to make the situation better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys I posted another chapter!! :) I hope you enjoy this one and please if you like this story enough just post a comment or subscribe letting me know to post more and update more often :) Thanks!!!