Chequered Nettle

Wright: Break Routine

A small incident. I had to push past it. I didn't have time to think of such trivial things. I surged outside the hall, and out of the campus just in time to catch the bus that would take me back to Delane. With a simple flash of my bus pass I was quickly allowed on the bus without question. It was packed at this hour like everyday since it was when all the students got out from school. In more than one occasion in the past, my guilt forced to give up my seat when a rude young teen refused to do so automatically for an elder. Luckily today wasn't such a day I was allowed to keep my seat the whole ride to Delane.

By the time I got to Delane, most of the bus was empty. Delane was the last stop in the route before it headed back to the bus station to refuel. It took a good hour and a half to get from the school to Delane, but I couldn't afford a car, much less the gas to power it. It was just past four when I got back to Delane. Just about the time Terra was up and about.

After walking the long driveway, I walked inside to see a very irritated Lisa manning the front desk. I tired to slip by unnoticed, I would have to start my shift in the restaurant in a few hours, and I had clean some rooms before that. Lisa had nothing of it.

"Kara!" She snapped when she saw me. I slowly went to her direction fearing what she had in store. "What. The. Hell?" she said slowly. I looked at her blankly. I don't think I had done anything that could piss her off. "When I said you were like my alarm, I meant it!" she exclaimed. "I woke up late today thanks to you!" she went on.

"Sorry." I responded not really thinking anyone would miss me singing in the shower. "I just don't think it's smart to rely on someone else to start your day." I told her as an excuse which was partly true.

"Hmph!" she crossed her arms over her chest. A clear indication that she had enough talking with me. I made my way to the staircase. Just when I was about halfway up, Lisa spoke again. "Does that mean I'm going to have to get an alarm clock?" she asked jokingly. I thought about it.

"No." I told her with a smile. I loved singing, it made me happy and there was absolutely no one who would take that away from me. Lisa smiled too. Maybe she could rely on me a bit longer.

I made my way towards the third floor, where my room was located. Once inside, I saw a very horror stricken Terra searching for something under the sofa seats. She didn't even pay attention to me as I entered the room and set my things next to the door where I would need them again for tomorrow. She ran into the kitchen and opened cupboards and viciously yanked out preciously merchandise.

"Looking for something?" I asked once I had enough of her rampaging through the small condo like suite. Her head snapped in my direction. Tears were brimming at the edges of her eyes.

"Kara I lost him!" she said her voice breaking. "I can't find 'em! Please don't be mad at me." she added as an after thought. I looked at her with a raised eyebrow. She had to be kidding right?

"Who are you looking for Terra?" I asked to be sure I was right. She couldn't be looking for him right? Not after he's been gone for a couple days now.

"Our puppy!" she sobbed. "Kara, I lost him! I just can't find him!" I rubbed my temples. She sure had some severe separation anxiety issues. I slowly walked over to her as to not startle her and put a reassuring hand over her shoulder. She flinched when I raised my hand since she knew I had a tendency to slap her when she acted increasingly stupid.

"He's not here." I told her. Her eyes widened and she grew frantic again. "Sue's sister took him up to Oregon a few days ago where she has a farm with a whole bunch of animals where he can have fun." I reminded her. "Remember?. . . "

Slowly recognition flashed across her face. "Ah doi!" she said senselessly smacking her palm against her temple as if smacking the information into her brain. "How could I forget!" she laughed at her own stupidity. "I guess I just miss him, you know?" She said sitting down in the mess she had made in the kitchen. True, it was around this time that Terra had to take care of him before it was my turn. "But he was your puppy too!" she suddenly remembered. "You should miss him the most."

"I try not to think of it." I explained. Sure I missed him, but the way I looked at it. He was probably having fun where ever he was now. Sue's sister was a great person, I'm sure her farm was no different. "Besides, he should be back home in about elven days. We should take that as a vacation before he comes home." I joked. Terra laughed too.

"Yeah I guess you're right." she smiled. Her smile quickly faded when I ordered her to clean up the mess she had made in her search. I sat down in the living room, to fix the broken string on my violin while she cleaned. All the while I could hear her grumble low insults at me and mimicking my 'bossy voice'. I laughed at her immaturity. She was supposed to be the older one.

I finished stringing my violin before Terra finished cleaning up the mess in our room. I decided that I had to clean up my rooms before heading to the restaurant, and since Terra was almost done anyway, I would have to head out without her. Since my music class ended early, I figured I could get started on the rooms before going to see Sue.

I always had the same rooms on the fourth floor. For the suites, such as the one me and Terra lived in, there were special maids that came to clean those. They cleaned in groups of two, and literally cleaned the room from head to toe. A bit excessive, but I guess that's why those rooms were so expensive compared to the regular rooms.

I cleaned all my rooms easily. Like running on a routine from before I upgraded to a suite, I dusted the furniture, mopped the floor in the bathroom, cleaned the toilet, bathtub, and sinks with tile cleaner. I removed the blankets off the beds before vacuuming the carpets then cleaned all the sofas. Just before I left, I switched the beds to clean sheets.

I went on cleaning rooms until I was about halfway done with my total rooms. Mr. and Mrs. Louis were absent. I assumed they had gone off to the city to do something like they did so often at this hour. Mrs. Saunders was off going to pick up her daughter Sarah from daycare. Without my regulars I had nothing much to do, so I finished my rooms very quickly. I had a few rooms left when I decided it was time to go see Sue again.

Quickly making my way to Sue's office, I walked inside without much as a warning. "Oh there she is!" Sue exclaimed once I entered. "I was about to call for you too." she said happily. I looked at the clock hanging behind her to make sure that I was on time. I was just on time. "This is Nell Havoc." she said indicating to the second girl in the room.

She was younger than me I think. Seventeen maybe. That would make her, the youngest working employee at Delane. She was also taller than me, I noticed that, because I was sure Terra would be very excited about that. Her deep chocolate colored eyes highlighted her long wavy blond hair that was just past her shoulder blades. Nell smiled brightly and came to take my hand.

"Well, she pretty much already introduced me." she smiled brightly motioning towards Sue. I smiled politely too, taking her hand in mine.

"I'm Kara." I introduced myself. "I'm the girl whose going to show you around."

"Alright then. Get to it." Sue cut off almost as soon as I finished talking. She probably had other things to do. I nodded before telling Nell to follow me.

She was the first person I got to show around. My first trainee. I was a bit excited about that. I showed her around Delane first, just in case she was ever sent to get something from another wing. I also told her the history of the place, and the history it had in Sue's family. I had hoped I wasn't boring her with all the stories, but when I looked back at her she seemed pretty mesmerized by the grandness. Very much like I was when I first started working here.

I saved the small diner for the last part of the tour. I showed her how things worked. How to bus tables, and how to stand when putting drinks on the table so that the chicken tail wouldn't bother her too much. She was a bit mortified when I showed her uniform but was a bit comforted when I told her I had to wear it too a long time ago. Then I showed her how to take out the garbage, and how to never, ever take out the garbage through the actual diner since that was a big health hazard. Lastly, I took her to the kitchen were I handed her off to the cooks so they could go on ahead and teach her some of the recipes.

As soon as I left her in the hands of the chef, I bolted out of the diner and went to get ready for the restaurant. I had just under twenty minutes to get ready, and that wasn't counting the time it would take me running back to my room then back down again to the restaurant. I put on a formal dress, to keep in tone with the fancy restaurant even though it wouldn't matter since no one ever payed attention to the entertainment.

Then, I went to work. Terra finished the last rooms I couldn't clean up. Then after working at the restaurant I went back to my room and did my homework. By the time I was done, it was already late, but Kat had asked me to cover for her in the front desk since she had to go to the hospital. I didn't press her for answers since she wasn't feeling too well. Terra came down an hour or so later to start her graveyard shift.

I kept things mild, so I didn't tell her that she had flashed the karaoke bar after they announced she didn't make it to the next round. Or that she had a furious make out session with the other most intoxicated person in our group; Kat.

After teasing Terra for a few moments, I went back to my room, and repeated all the actions from the previous day. The only exception was my absence from the gym. I made up for that late at night when I did thirty crunches, and twenty push ups before going to bed. I didn't have my orchestral music class everyday, only on Tuesday and Thursday. To make up for that, I took a jazz class on Wednesday. Other than my music classes, and the alternating exercise schedule, everything remained the same, every day.

There was that one incident in the theater that had bothered me. The stranger in the crowd who had seemingly come to see me. I don't understand why it had me in such a knot, maybe it was just because it made my day just slightly different from my usual routine. I tried to ignore it by telling myself that it had just been coincidence that he had been there as I tired to go to sleep.

The following morning I wouldn't have to wake up so early to go to the gym, so I could sleep in. With that just one single thought, I was able to relax enough to get some sleep, before starting all over again the next day.

Day after day. The same routine, the same things. Exercise, school, work. Every single day. Sometimes I lose sight of why I try so hard. Then I remember that I won't stop until I see that piece of trash put in his place. I won't stop until he withers in agony begging for forgiveness. Yes, that's what I want most. More than anything, but I have no way on how to get started. The only way I can think of hurting him, is by hurting his ego but that is much easier said than done.

With his sudden fame, I can't even get close to him without being mobbed by fan girls. I suppose those vengeful wishes would have to wait just a bit more. At least, until I figured out exactly what to do.

The next day, I repeated my usual routine. And the day after. Then came my orchestral class again and the stranger was there again. Again I told myself, he must be here for someone else. Someone else. I kept a close eye on him as I played from first chair on the stage. He took my focus so I wasn't playing very good, but his presence really bothered me. He was very disrespectful too! Smoking in the hall even when it was clearly forbidden.

The stranger remained all during the whole class, just like last time. Just sitting, and waiting for something. I shifted nervously in my seat. He must want something. The class ended, and like always, I stayed there the longest to practice some more and in part to see if the stranger would leave once everyone else left too. He didn't leave, and I had precious moments before I had to leave this magnificent stage. I decided that since I wasn't playing very well today, I needed the practice.

I played for a few moments later, but my playing didn't achieve that level that I wanted today. The stranger must have affected me more than I wanted him to. I tried tuning him out. I couldn't allow this simple person to bother me. I shut my eyes trying to focus only on the violin in my hands by gently caressing the strings of the bow. Using this rookie technique I managed to play a bit better, but it wasn't good enough.

This was my time alone. The time which was only mine when I could be by myself and do as I pleased. I don't understand why I had to share it with this person just because he had a disturbing habit. Suddenly sick of being spied on by this potential stalker, I stopped playing. "Hey!" I shouted finally irked enough to action from the stage.

He didn't move. The only indicator that he was there other than his bulk was the dim light of that filthy cigarette and the faint smoke emerging it. "You there!" I tired calling him again. This time, I placed my violin on the nearest chair, and half stormed to the edge of the stage in a confrontational stance. I was already mad, since this stranger had already ruined my alone time. An argument with someone now would help more than enough with the rage.

Despite my obvious challenge, he didn't do anything still. How disrespectful! Growing angrier still, I jumped off directly from the stage, completely ignoring the stairs off to the side. This stranger! Who does he think he is! If he's going to stalk someone, he should at least do it right!

"I don't know how you think you are!" I ranted as I stormed to the handicapped seating where he had so rudely chosen to sit both times. I never doubted if this was a smart idea or not. At the gym, I took some self defense classes - which I aced with flying colors - so I was pretty self confident whenever it came to fights. I charged like a mad woman straight to this irritating stranger without thinking.

It was only his majesty suddenly decided to stand up from his seat after putting out his cigarette in the armrest that I seriously considered if picking a fight with this guy was the smartest thing to do. He was a lot bigger than me. Then again a lot of men were.

"Who the hell are you! And what do you want!" I demanded with my fists balled tight as soon as I was right up to him. Messy was the only way to describe him. He had shaggy brown hair that desperately needed to be combed. On his face he had stubble as if he didn't even bother to shave in the morning. I didn't know who this man was, but he just screamed disrespect in my book. He care to look his best, why should I care about him? He looked very much like a hobo.

"What? No song for me today?" he said with a irritatingly nonchalant tone that made my blood boil. He didn't even seem to acknowledge my challenge! It was like he already had his opinion of me already. To make things worse, I had to literally look up to him to speak to him.

"Who are you? What do you want." I repeated myself slowly to this stranger my voice strong and to the point. I wouldn't leave until I found out exactly why he has been stalking me. Then I'd decide if I would have to call the cops or not gauging on how crazy this person was.

Still, he didn't seem the least bit bothered by my attitude. In fact, I could see a growing amusement growing in his eyes and a cocky smirk appear at the side of his lips. A smirk that I was so quickly beginning to hate. He leaned in closer to me so he was only an arms reach away. Instinctively, I stepped back a bit from his bulk - my mistake - but he didn't seem to notice.

"Sorry if I scared you. My name's Ira Bell." He said offering his hand with a surprisingly warm smile this time. Maybe my first judgment of him had been wrong. Still I couldn't be too careful. I wearily took his hand and shook it. His hand was big in mine. "Nice to meet you. . . " he paused.

"Alice Knight." I lied. Again, I couldn't be too careful when it came to people like him. For all I knew, this sudden front could only be a nice guy act. Something to try and draw me in before he ensnared me in his trap. If he tired to find me outside this school, a fake name would only make it that much harder for him.

"Well Alice." he said letting go of my hand and looked me directly in the face. "I have a proposition for you." This in intrigued me. He could be a con artist trying to trick me, but I wasn't stupid. He wouldn't fool me.

"A proposition?" I said with a smile thinking of what he was trying to sell me. If he stalked me for a few days I think he at least deserved to be heard. Ira motioned for me to sit in one of the chairs next to him. I complied for now. I decided to hear him out, just to see what kind of ridiculous suggestion he had.

"Yes." he said towering over my now sitting form. It made me slightly uncomfortable having him that way. I crossed my legs in a feeble attempt to appear larger. "I want you to work for me." he dwindled seriously again. He was offering a job. I already had a very good job at Delane. Not to mention, I couldn't leave because I promised Sue I would finish school and become a nurse. After all, most of my schooling was already paid.

"Yeah. I don't think I'm interested." I said leaning forward in my seat getting ready to leave. This Ira person wouldn't have it. He moved in front of me keeping me from getting up. He was going to be more persistent than I had anticipated. Unlucky for him, he was within leg reach, so if he tired anything drastic I could kick him where it hurts and leave.

"You haven't even heard me out yet." he explained with a determined glare in his eye. I didn't want him to think that he could do anything to change my mind. I'd had enough. I pushed him out of the way and stood up. "Just hear me out." He pleaded one last time.

"You're not worth my time." I told him and walked off. I had no time to waste anymore. Every minute of my day had been accounted for. I owed Sue my loyalty.

"I will pay you triple what you earn at your other job!" he said and that made me stop. I owed Sue so much money but what he offered was a shot to pay her back three times faster. I couldn't speak. "Here. Call me when you change your mind." He said placing a small piece of paper on my hand. He left without another word, as if he something better to do. Maybe I was the one not worth his time.

I left too. Just a short while after. Three times more than what I earned now. That single thought rung through my head. Three times more. I couldn't just ignore that offer.

Maybe I was just desperate for money, but later that same night I found myself dialing his number.