SWAY

W O R D S; 7 2 6

There were purple hairs on it. I remember them vividly. They were all clustered together so they didn’t appear as hairs, but when I looked closer I could spot the individual hairs. They were short hairs and tinged violet, but only slightly. It’s when you looked from afar that you realized that they made a purple shade – a brilliant purple shade.

One I was excited beyond belief to have fill my lungs and shave my brain cells. Oh, the joy.

I broke it on my Economics book as Penny turned the car. The Dead Weather was blasting in the dreadful orange Yugo that we shared, and the windows were cracked at the top. Sweet, warm summer days were always the best to get really chewed and just roast all day in the sun.

“We’ll be there in ten. You got your stash ready?” Duncan mumbled from the backseat. I spotted him in the corner of my eye, talking on his cell phone and picking at the fringe on his cutoffs. “Yeah, we got some dankass weed. No, some guy Felicity knows. Nope, don’t know him, but he looked legit.”

I laughed, turning back to my weed as he continued to mumble in his monotone voice. Breaking the weed was always my job. Somehow my dumb self got stuck doing the worst part every single time. Breaking was just…ah, boring. Sitting there rolling the weed between your fingers, then picking out the seeds and stems. It just took too long for me. I just wanted to smoke it and go swimming.

“You almost done? We’re here.” Penny made the Yugo screech to a halt, making it lurch forward.

I squeezed my book to me for dear life, sighing. “I’m not breaking in the car anymore. I just about lost it all.”

“Sorry,” Penny mumbled, climbing out of the Yugo so Duncan could get out and stretch his legs. They were only a mile long.

I jumped at a loud knock on my window, turning to see Grady staring back at me, two fingers at his lips and a smile on his face. He pointed towards his garage, kissed the window, and left. He was so odd.

I got up out of the car – Economics book in tote – and headed for Grady’s half-open garage door. Streams of smoke were flowing from under it and I’d hear a giggle, then some more would come out and I’d hear a crash. None of the people in that garage were in their right minds.

Penny ducked under the garage door first, then Duncan followed in a sore attempt to fit, then I slid my book underneath and crawled in after it. Most of it was broken up and back in the bag, so the seeds and stems fell to the floor.

“How generous of you, Felicity; I’ve always wanted some fucking stems and seeds on my garage floor. You know the way to a man’s heart, dear,” Grady harassed me, batting his eyes at me and throwing his arm around my shoulder.

His sister, Margaret, tossed an empty cigarette carton at him. “Shut up, Grady! If you ever want kids from that lovely girl that’s not how you do it, you idiot.”

I turned five shades of red and looked down at my feet.

“Yeah, Maggie, embarrassing her is such a smarter way of doing it,” he seethed back. Margaret laughed.

I don’t want her to have my children – although I’m sure they’d be adorable as hell.”

“Enough of this child talk! I don’t want either of you to multiply – not if my life depended on it.” Their older sister Laney shouted. “Now get over here with that weed, pretty girl.”

I laughed and picked up the book with the bag on it, sitting on the desk everyone was gathered around and packed a bowl. I let Laney spark the bowl since she was such a doll. She took my green Bic lighter from my hands and sparked it, going halvsies with me.

Her eyes glazed over the second the weed his her lungs and she started coughing the second she cleared the chamber.

“Hit ya in the nuts, huh, Lane?” Duncan laughed, watching Laney double over and hack her lungs out. She coughed some more, her hand on her chest and Duncan nodded. “Right in the nuts.”