Status: Should I stay or should I go now

Friendship Is Funny

A Good Bad Feeling

A light smile rested on her face as she mused at the possibilities this city could hold for her. She had traveled anywhere from big, chaotic cities to lonely, rural prairies and everything in between. However, none of them were like this one. The city of Gotham seemed much more exciting to her. Of course never knowing what events each day would hold for her was exciting no matter where she was. Still...this place -- it's high-rise buildings, it's thriving people, it's energy -- just felt different. She did not know if this feeling was good or bad, but that is the very uncertainty that makes it exciting, right?

With the sun high in the sky, she bobbed along, occasionally dodging swarms of civilians who appear too busy with their own lives to notice her. With her enormous, purple shoulder bag at her side and her long orange hair she definitely stuck out amongst the crowd. Though, these people are probably used to odd appearances. She studied their faces as she passed them by; not one of them acknowledging her existence and all of them seeming sad and weary.

"Don't seem too friendly." She breathed quietly. Smiling despite this thought, she continued along the cluttered sidewalks, cars constantly whizzing by.

The afternoon was beginning to turn to dusk and the sidewalks slowly became vacant. Now only a couple hurried people would rush by every now and then. It was going to be dark in a couple hours and normally she would start searching for a place to sleep. She was not too worried though; she is not at all afraid of the dark or of what lurks in it. It is almost like she wants something bad to happen -- or something exciting, according to her.

"Come on." She whispered with frustration in her voice, "The day's running out. There has to be --" She was interrupted by a loud crash. It sounded like it came from up ahead. She grinned broadly and began running towards the sound; her large bag hitting against her thigh with every step. After a couple minutes she was now close enough to see what had happened. Frantic people and their cars were clogging the streets. A few police officers were on the scene writing tickets and arguing with the drivers. But, the car accident was not what interested her. Everyone was dressed up. The women were wearing fashionable dresses, the men were sporting expensive suits, and all of them were wearing masks.

"A masquerade!" She cheered, clapping her hands together. The attendees were arriving in limousines and piling into the large doors of a high-rise building. Searching for the identity of the building, she looked up and saw a huge 'W' on it's face. The name 'Wayne' was displayed above it.

"Wayne? Must be some rich snob." She shrugged. "The more fun it will be." She turned back towards the way she had came, remembering a secluded area she had picked out earlier.

It took her only a few minutes to race back down the sidewalk to find her spot. She cautiously looked up and down the sidewalks to ensure no one was watching her. Satisfied, she turned into a long dark alley in between two graffiti-ridden hotels. About mid-way down the alley there were three large, rusted metal trash cans. She stood next to them and removed her bag from around her shoulders. While kneeling down, she set it next to her. She lifted the large flap covering the bag; the Velcro making a 'Kshh' sound as it separated. Now the two large pockets on the front of the bag and the large zipper across the top were exposed. She unzipped the bag and pulled out a lavender-colored dress. She slipped the dress on over her clothes and smoothed it out with her hands. It was a beautiful Victorian-esque ball gown. It had long skin-tight sleeves decorated with lace. The bottom of the dress reached the floor and was layered with the top layer being gathered in places. Around the waste was a sash which, in the back, tied into a bow. She reached back into her bag and pulled out a matching eye-mask. It was simple, yet elegant. Putting it on, she then reached into the front pockets of her bag, withdrawing a few bobby pins. She hurriedly began stuffing them into her hair, creating a messy up-do. Not having a mirror, she shrugged and zipped up her bag not worrying about how she looked. She picked the lid off of the trash can next to her and peeked inside. Since it was empty, she figured no one uses them. She dropped her bag into the can and secured the lid over it.

Now looking the part, she raced back to the building where the party guests were arriving. Police were still on the scene of the car accident, but it looked as though it was wrapping up. She waltzed past the commotion and up to the doors. Looking around, she noticed there were not any guards. She smiled smugly as she weaved in between a few attendees who were now entering the building. Her heart pounded rapidly in exhilaration as she stepped through the doors. She clenched the skirt of her dress in an effort to keep herself from bouncing up and down like a child in a toy store.
♠ ♠ ♠
My first chapter! I don't really write much but I do like it. My writing style is not straight forward at all. I don't like to give anything away right off the bat. That's why little is known about the main character so far.
I was wondering whether to continue this chapter another paragraph but I would like to see what everyone thinks of it so far. Should I keep going?
And please let me know of any spelling or grammatical errors...I hate those.
Or if you have any suggestions. :)