Angel of mine

Daughter of the Sky

The next day at school wasn’t any better for Gabriella. Her back seemed to cause her more pain that it had ever before. In almost every class, she’d be sitting there quietly taking notes, When she would feel the jolt of pain shoot up her spine. Once it was so bad, she cried out then hurriedly had to convince her teacher that she was alright and had just pinched something on the desk. And as soon as the pain began, it soon ended. By the end of the day, it was simply a faded memory of how she had spent her day.

“Bre, did you want a ride?”

Gabriella looked towards her friends who were all seated in Lindsay’s car. She shook her head, “No, I think I’ll walk. It’ll be better for me.”

Katie looked up at her from the passenger seat, a worried expression on her face, “You sure?”

Gabriella gave her friend a reassuring smile, “I’ll be fine.”

She sighed as she watched her friends drive away and began walking. She knew that getting a ride would have been easier, but she was hoping that the bit of exercise would help her feel relaxed. If anything, she would be tired enough for a nap when she got home.
As Gabriella made her way home, she observed everything going on around her. The honking of horns, the smell of pepperoni from the pizzeria down the road, and the sight of the 20 story buildings looming above her made Gabriella feel at home. She remembered walking down these streets every day, and she knew them like the back of her hand. But it had been forever since she had chosen the scenic over the speedy.

Suddenly, Gabriella stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. She could have sworn she heard the faintest cry come from the ally she had past. She looked at the people that were passing her, but if they had heard it, they weren’t fazed.

She was about to start walking when she heard a woman’s voice engulfed by a sob, “Help me.”

Gabriella looked between the alley and the road that would take her home. There was a part of her that was screaming for her to keep walking. She had no idea what was waiting for her in that alley. What if that woman’s perpetrator had not yet left its victim? Still, it ached Gabriella to know that someone was in need of help. So despite her greater instincts, she turned around and headed into the dark void.

Gabriella took a few cautious steps into the alley, looking around for either the cause of stress of other signs of trouble. Her surroundings were not those that brought comfort or peace, but she sucked in her bride and courage to move on. She was just about to call out when she heard the voice cry out again.

“Please help me.”

She followed the voice when her sight was directed to a woman farther up ahead. She was crouched on her kneed with her back turned to Gabriella, but the girl could make out the hem of a coat and long hair that curled around her face.

“Hello?” Gabriella called out as she stepped towards the woman, “are you okay?”

The woman didn’t respond, but she continued to cry softly. Gabriella stepped quickly to the woman, letting her guard down and forgetting about the inhibitions that held her back moments before. The only think that mattered now was helping this person.

As she approached the woman, Gabriella spoke softly as to not startle her, “I’m here to help.” She put a hand on the woman’s shoulder, attempting to comfort her.

Suddenly, the woman stopped crying and the area went completely silent. Far away, the sounds of the roads could be heard, but they passed through the area, as if to avoid it. The uneasiness Gabriella once felt rushed back to her senses. She pulled her hand back cautiously, and the woman turned her head to face the girl.

The face Gabriella saw was not one of a troubled woman she had expected. It was a man, or at least the closest to a man that a creature could be. Its skin was a taught, ashy grey that stretched tightly across high cheekbones and a shallow jaw. He had jet black hair that cascaded elegantly over his shoulders, and he wore a mischievous grin on his face that showed of crystal white fangs. What scared her the most, though, were his piercing red eyes that seemed to hold the very fires of hell within them.

The man spoke two words that sent icy chills straight up her spine, “Hello, Gabriella.”

The girl stumbled back in terror, “How do you know my name?” She managed to stutter out.

He laughed shrilly at her as he stood up. What Gabriella mistook as a coat turned out to be a trench coat that hung down to the man’s ankles. He ignored her question as he responded, “I’ve been waiting for this day when I would finally have you in my grasp. It’s a shame your father kept you in the darkness for so long. But there’s no way to escape up now, daughter of the sky.”

The man stretched out his hands, and Gabriella inhaled sharply. Out of the mans back emerged two enormous black wings.

“What are you?” She asked in terror

The man simply grinned devilishly at her, “I’m the one who will take you to hell.”

In that moment, all the fear and adrenaline that had been building up reached it’s peak. She turned to run out of the alley, but two more creatures flew down and landed in front of her. Gabriella looked both ways, trying to decide the best way of escape, all while her heart was pounding in her chest.

“Leave her alone, Teivel.”

Gabriella turned around and saw two new figures land aside of her. These two, however, were different than the others. Their skin was a light yet brilliant pink, and their hair was as golden as the sun. She was in awe, however, of the two beautiful white wings they carried.

The dark haired man from before turned towards the newcomers and grinned, “Rephael, I should have known that you would show up. Nevertheless, she will be ours.”

The light haired men flew to stand between the creatures and her, pushing her out of the way. As they began to clash with one another, the man who spoke before turned to her and yelled, “Gabriella, RUN!"

Gabriella didn't hesitate to follow the man’s instructions and ran as fast as she could away from the fight behind her. She knew that it wouldn't be long before one of the dark creatures would be after her; two against three was not an even fight. She was determined to make as much ground into the public as possible.

Suddenly, Gabriella collapsed onto the concrete ground. An excruciating pain shot through her entire body, causing her to scream. Her skin felt as if it was on fire and she couldn't imagine making a single move.

She heard a single voice shout out from behind her, "your wings, Gabriella, use your wings!"
She closed her eyes, trying to concentrate under the influence of her pain. What was he talking about, use her wings? They were the ones with those, not her.

Once again, an explosive pain stabbed her near her shoulder blades. Unlike the last time however, the blast was immediately followed but an overwhelming euphoria of pleasure, and her body went numb. As Gabriella stood up, though, she felt something stir in her subconscious. It was as if a new sense had brought itself to the edge of her mind, and although she couldn't quite grasp what the feeling was, it was like it had been there forever. Gabriella reached behind her to rub the spots where she had felt pain only moments ago. Her eyes grew wide with amazement, however, when she turned her head back to see what it was her hand had come in contact with.

Wings. White wings.

Gabriella did a one-eighty and turned to watch the two groups that were fighting. Had the one who was yelling before cursed her by giving her these wings? She wanted to scream out at them, a million questions running through her mind.

The man in White who called her name before looked up from the creature he was pinning down and met her gaze with his. A look of bewilderment crossed his face. "Don’t just stand there, fly! Get out of here now!"

She paused for a moment, unsure of what to do. How was she supposed to fly when she had only gotten these things moments ago? Suddenly, the feeling from before jumped to her conscious thoughts. She could feel their existence, just as she knew she had arms and legs.

Gabriella flapped her wings once, and she felt herself rise a foot off the ground. She did it once again, and she rose higher. Her gaze travels downwards, and saw that everyone had momentarily averted their eyes to her. With every stroke she rose higher, until she was almost above the buildings.

Gabriella completely forgot about the immediate danger she was I as she hung weightless I midair. The fact that she was flying filled her with complete amazement and joy. This was something that every child wished for; the ability to have freedom of the land and the sky. She looked up, enjoying the wind that blew through her hair.

“Look out!”
Gabriella turned around, but her reflexes were too slow. She felt someone grab her harshly, the carry her downwards. The dark arms held her tightly as Gabriella struggled against them, screaming.

“I’ve got you know, angel,” the hellish voice whispered in her hear, and her bones went cold.
As they reached the ground, though, something hit them, and she fell out of its grasp ad smashed into the concrete. Her head banged into the hard ground, and she felt her wrist snap as it got caught between her body and the floor.

Tears shed from her eyes as she lay in agony. There was no way that she would be able to escape now. Her mind was growing fuzzy, and she couldn’t concentrate on her own thoughts much less getting up.

Suddenly, she felt something pick her up gently then carry her into the air. She began to struggle slightly, but he pulled her closer as he whispered, “It’s okay, Gabriella. You’re safe now. You won’t get hurt anymore.”

Gabriella recognized the voice as the one who was trying to help her before. She immediately relaxed and nestled into the arms carrying her while her mind struggled with consciousness. Before she knew it, Gabriella was out.