Status: Important to keep in mind: Only updated when commented on.

Still Doll

Lady of the House

The sun's radiance felt more bright than usual, as if something was different about that day. What could it be?

"Good morning!" A loud, female voice rang through the doll's ears, as the bright, bothersome light spread into the room from the window. "Time to wake up, and prepare yourself for today, Lady Kanon!"

Kanon slowly raised up from the bed, feeling no desire to wake up yet. She looked around and felt relieved that it wasn't a dream. She'd been saved by the only person in the world that had ever taught her how special freedom can be. She was free now, from William, from her room in which he was imprisoned in, from deviously jealous maids, from...everything. Everything was ready to commence peacefully and full of freedom... Or so she'd thought.

"Today, you will be having breakfast with young master, Alexander, then start your lessons, meet up with Madame Rodkin, attend to her younger brother's fifteenth birthday ceremony, come back to meet young master's business dealers, and finally dinner at sunset." The maid smiled unconvincingly. It seemed that not everything was as well as Kanon thought it was, since not only did she have to do all of this for a day...but she also had no idea why. Why was she doing all of this when she had no idea who this supposed Madame Rodkin was, nor her brother, she didn't have any business with Alexander's dealers, and...lessons? Lessons for what? "Me and the manor house's fellow maidservants are to prepare you to meet young master for breakfast first, now, come along. We don't have much time."

The maid pulled the bewildered doll gently out of her bed and guided her to go to her changing room, where she saw were hundreds of dresses already lined up for her. Though one thing bothered her about them...they weren't her. Quickly, in a rush, the servants dressed her up in the first dress that was lined up; they must have put them in order. Kanon was walked downstairs for breakfast to find her pleasant surprise, smiling at her from the end of the table.

"Sir Michaelis," she said, for the first time feeling a slight twitch on the corners of her mouth. "Good morning."

"Oh, none of that here, just address me as Alexander, alright?" Alexander told her, smiling. Kanon, recognizing those familiar and unpleasant words, lowered her head down and nodded. "Is that okay with you?"

"No, it's fine. It's just that William...had said that to me..." Kanon cleared her throat at the mention of his name, almost not being able to say it well.

"I'm sorry..."

"It's fine, there's no need to apologize." The corners of her mouth twitched again, and she sat down for breakfast.

Morning meal was peaceful, as she had been for the first time in her life, hoping. Once that had been taken care of, Kanon was sent upstairs to get ready to meet Madame Rodkin. The maid that had awakened her would be accompanying her there. It seemed like this particular servant was put up in charge of taking care of Kanon, and everything she did and was supposed to do. They both got inside the carriage waiting for them outside the mansion and rode off. When they got there, Kanon was a completely different person.

"Hello, pleased to meet your acquaintance, Madame Rodkin." Kanon curtsied and smiled for her.

"Oh, gosh, such a nice lady. The pleasure is all mine," she smiled back.

They continued to talk together, though more like Kanon listening and agreeing. The maid sat back and watched the brilliant performance, not believing what she was seeing. It wasn't that she was surprised to see her act this way, since the maid barely knew Kanon. But Alexander had told her all of Kanon's hardships, what she had gone through to get freedom, and yet here she was acting as proper as a lady could want. It was somehow fascinating to watch. Kanon attended Madame's brother's birthday ceremony, accompanied by both Alexander's servant, and Madame Rodkin herself. It appeared she had gotten a liking to this polite and cheerful doll. If only that was who she really was...

After attending this ceremony, they went back to the manor house, and met up with Alexander's dealers, though still not sure for what exact reason. They were very impressed with Kanon's personality and refined taste, as they called it, even though they heard about her struggles with life. Alexander, himself, as impressed with her in a great level. But he was a bit concerned. He thought that she was just hiding her feelings to do a good job because she thought she owed him for saving her. It wasn't the way he wanted her to obtain freedom, but doing all of these things was the only way they'd allow Kanon to stay with him. Otherwise, she wouldn't be able to because of her status. It sickened him, but it was how things were, there was nothing he alone could do about it.

Later on, everything was done as planned and the day went by smoothly, like no one ever expected it to go. Kanon was about to go to bed when she heard a low knock on her door. "Who is it?" she asked.

"It's Alexander," Alexander said from behind the door. "May I come in?"

"Oh, of course, come in." The door slowly opened, following behind the promise he had made to her, Alexander with his silky black hair hanging loose over his shoulders. The surprised doll's corners of her mouth twitched again, now beginning to be an annoyance. "What is it you wish?

His piercing, dark brown eyes were sad and full of concern. Kanon didn't quite like that face, it made her feel a bit sick in her stomach, as if it was her fault he looked like that. Alexander sat down beside her on the bed, and sighed. "Is there anything you wish to talk about?" he asked her.

"No, why?" she said.

"You did very good today with your schedule."

"I've done it before, it wasn't my first time having to look perfect in front of important people. It was something William always made me...do." Like before, she lowered her head and looked down at the floor, not being able to look up to him for some reason.

"Kanon." She wouldn't look. "Kanon, look at me." Alexander held her face gently between his hand. Both looked into each other's eyes for a long moment, before he continued. "You realize this isn't something I want you to do, it's mandatory to able to stay here. I don't want you thinking I did it for the same selfish reasons that man did. I want you to learn truthfully what freedom and...love is."

She pushed away his hand and looked away, towards the large window covered with curtains. "I know."

How will I ever break through to this girl? Alexander thought to himself, frustrated. She's so closed off from what's anything like happiness, that she doesn't even realize what she's doing to herself. "Well, one good thing came out of today."

Kanon looked at him, intrigued. "What's that?"

"You've become the new lady of the house. Your words are to be followed, and you are to be cared for. There are responsibilities, but I'm sure you'll do fine." He smiled, hoping this would do any change in her. Surprisingly, it did. To both of them.

The corners of her mouth finally stretched out to be a full smile, her first ever that she could remember. "Is that so?"

Alexander's heart started to beat faster, pounding against his chest. The room seemed to be getting smaller, or at least emptier. There weren't any curtains or a window or a door, nothing. As strange as it was, it was just him and his lady of the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Was it good?
Did you understand what I meant in the last sentence?
COMMENT and let me find out!
Hope you like it~!
For Parasite♥