Crazy For Cucumbers

The Real Deal

One morning, Charlie woke up feeling refreshed and energized because he knew he had a big checkers tournament tonight, and the winners gets a year supply of cucumbers!

“I love cucumbers!” Charlie said to himself. “I hope I win!” Feeling confident, Charlie dressed up nice and fancy.

Charlie practiced long and hard for this day. He was very excited and very nervous.

When Charlie arrived at the checkers tournament, he was sweating like a pig. Charlie had his first game and he won! Charlie was very confident now!

Charlie played nine games in total; he won all of them until now. Half way through the game, they were neck and neck. Charlie slapped down his red piece and yelled, “KING ME!”, and with that, Charlie won his final game.

“Congratulations Charlie! You have won a year supply of cucumbers!”

“Woo Hoo!” Charlie yelled, “I love cucumbers!”

It took 3 delivery trucks to get all the cucumbers back to Charlie’s house. Charlie was so excited, he ate a dozen cucumbers right on the spot. Then another dozen and another dozen and before he knew it, he had eaten 937 cucumbers! He wasn’t feeling so good right now.

There were bits of cucumber all over his house, there were cucumber peels, cucumber seeds, and cucumber juice splattered everywhere!

By this time, Charlie only had 3 cucumbers left. Charlie knew what he had to do; he had to grow a garden. He wanted a garden full of cucumbers, rows and rows of cucumbers! So Charlie went to the store to buy some cucumber seeds to plant. When Charlie got home, he realized that he didn’t know how to grow a garden, but he did now someone who knew how.

So Charlie went to go visit his friend Jimmy. Jimmy the bunny was the best gardener that Charlie knew, Charlie knew just who to go to.

When Charlie got to Jimmy’s house, he saw him watering his carrot patch; in fact, Jimmy had a whole garden full of all different kinds of vegetables! He had carrots, celery, tomatoes, potatoes, corn on the cob, and any vegetable you can think of.

Charlie asked, “Jimmy can you help me plant a garden? “Sure Charlie, what kind of vegetables do you want in your garden?
“I would like lots and lots of cucumbers in my garden! I just ran out of them yesterday, and I need more.”

So Jimmy came back to Charlie’s house and said, “Let’s start digging!” So Charlie and Jimmy started to dig, then they planted rows and rows of cucumber seeds, then they watered them.

They waited for a few weeks, then before long, Charlie had a whole garden full of nice, ripe cucumbers!
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoyed that one, didn't you.