Status: Done. Short story. Very short.

Unknown

Unknown.

Today was the first day. The day I realized that I wasn't as invisible as I'd thought to be.

I made my way to the store today, amongst crowds and crowds of everyday, normal people. Only this time did I become mildly aware of their eyes on me, one after the other. It was quite alright at first, but then I became uncomfortable. I sat on a bench and kept my head low, hoping I would remain inconspicuous. Then again, with the drooping grey trees and the brilliant green grass residing behind me, this remained an unaccomplished feat. Someone called to me, a boy. I looked around. No one.

The next days were worse. More and more, I would notice people giving me strange looks. And more and more, I would hear the boy's voice. Days would pass, weeks would pass, before it hit an impasse. The voice was loud as loud could be. The people's glances at their maximum cruelty. My mind entirely in distress.

And then the following day, I saw him, at long last. His glance pierced me, kept me still and staring for a good, long moment. He held no significant features, no. He didn't have a beautiful voice. He was no perfect being. Yet I found myself strangely speaking to him, trying to. The sounds around us stopped. Time stopped. He kept his eyes locked on me. And suddenly, the cold didn't feel so bad anymore. Suddenly, everything made sense.

I worked to close the distance between us, I truly did. He did not move, he stayed in his place, his face untouched by the way I looked at him. He remained indifferent. I remained blind. The silence remained.

And it was only when I fell against him, when his arms encircled me, that I realized what I'd done. For I was not in a safe place, not in the false security of his arms. I was in the center of the road, and a small blue car was making its way to me. Still, the boy held me. No one seemed to notice what was happening until it was too late, until the car had struck me - and possibly the boy? - and knocked me to the ground. And as I lay there, sweet life deciding it no longer had time for me, I wondered why there was no body beside me, why later on the driver declared that he could not stop in time and struck only one person, me. I wondered why even as I felt myself drift off into death's embrace, I felt happy for just that one moment. And I wonder why this boy, the boy who killed me, is here with me now, holding me just as before. And now, only now, he gives me an answer to my own unspoken question.

We are eternal.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's all for this, folks. I just wrote it roughly...three weeks ago, and since then I've been working on a couple other things, and a few smaller ideas are bubbling around in my head. I hope you all like it~