‹ Prequel: First Impressions
Status: Discontinued... sorry!!!

Second Impressions

CHAPTER 3

I walk quietly up the steps that lead to Brad's house door. Last night, I went home and slept in my own bed after talking to Brad. In situations like that, most people would cry. But for some reason, I just couldn't. It wasn't possible at all! My body just said, 'No, I'm through crying so I'm going to stop.' So, I didn't cry.

I simply went to sleep.

Then I got up, showered, dressed, and decided to come back to Brad's house because everyone is there because of me. It's almost like leaving your own birthday party after all these people have came: rude.

"-it's your fucking fault! You couldn't keep your-"

"-can't believe you would say such a thing! How can you be so-"

"-totally not cool. We just got-"

These are the screams and broken sentences I hear from the other side of the door. Raising an eyebrow, I push the doorbell. Just like a light switch, the yelling stops.

Brad opens the door and sees me, and something tells me that I really shouldn't have come back. His eyes are narrowed and hard while his nose is wrinkled.

"Autum! You're back!"

That feeling suddenly goes away as Shale, Trev, and Shelby all appear at the door, pushing Brad back. Their faces smile at me excitedly. I smile back.

"Well, yeah! I can't just leave you guys hanging!" I laugh as they pull me inside excitedly.

"There's pancakes!" Trev yelps enthusiastically, leading me to the kitchen and making me trip over my own feet. Mrs. Flitcher smiles at me warmly and I feel a slight pang to my stomach for being so rude by not answering the door when she wanted to visit. She comes over and hugs me tightly; those negative feelings disappear.

"Autum, sweetie! Sit, eat." Mrs. Flitcher motions to the chair I should sit in and I obey. We all eat and laugh, almost like everything was normal. Almost. I don't look at Brad the entire time, or even acknowledge him.

He must hate me. I don't blame him either; I'd hate myself but I'm done with being miserable. I don't like that feeling, and if I can control it, I don't want to feel it anymore. I wonder if he still has feelings for me. He-

"Hello?"

"Earth to Autum."

I snap out of my thoughts and see Shale, Trev, and Shelby all staring back at me. I stuff another piece of pancake in my mouth, syrup dribbling down my chin.

"Just savoring the taste!" I lie through my mouthful. I even add a cheesy smile, just like I would originally do. Shale rolls her eyes and her cell phone starts buzzing insanely. After checking her text message, she puts her fork down and looks at all of us with a business-like manner.

"Who was that?" Shelby asks innocently, but even I-the newcomer- can see that she is hoping that it is Tash. Shale sends Shelby a sadistic smirk before continuing on.

"That was Tash." Shale states. "He would like all of us to come to the beach. See, our grandparents have no problem because they have this huge place. Like, it's got guest houses and stuff, and it's right there in the middle of everything. So, it's all good. Who's in?"

"How long will we be gone?" Shelby questions.

"All summer."

Trev and Shelby's hands shoot up and, after getting the stink-eye, I slowly raise my hand and then bring it back down.

"What about my dogs and the Time Capsule? I can't just leave those unattended." I make a valid point, causing the three of them to all exchange looks.

"I can go ahead and take care of those. Autum, you need to relax before college. It's time to be a kid again." Mrs. Flitcher comes from around the corner, shushing me as I open my mouth. "Now, now. I am very fond and knowledgeable of flowers, plus I assure you that your dogs will be no problem. You go and spend time with your friends."

"Now, with that taken care of, Brad? You in or out?" Shale stares him down. His hands are clasped tightly together on top of the table and I feel as if he doesn't want to go because of me. This goes on for a couple of seconds before Shale gets up and drags him away from the kitchen dominantly.

"This summer is going to be great." Trev beams at me.

"I'm so glad we're friends again." Shelby grins at me. I do the same back to them.

"Do you guys forgive me? I really am sorry that I shut you out, I just. . . I didn't know what to do." I glance down at the table before looking at them again. They're still grinning.

"Of course we do."

"We don't always know what to do, Autum. You're our friend."

After that is said, Shale and Brad appear again, taking their seats.

"Who's all in?" Shale asks for a second time. We all raise our hands. I sneak a peek at Brad and see a sour look on his face. Something tells me that he really doesn't want to go. Shale claps her hands together. "Great! We leave in an hour!"

Everyone rushes out the door, leaving behind Brad and I. I slowly get up from my seat and start making my way towards the door. As if pretending to be my shadow, Brad follows me to the door.

"Autum." Brad grunts at me. I look at him, but turn away. I'm sure he just wants to say more hurtful words.

As soon as I enter my house, I smile. I have my friends again.

I run upstairs, my dogs chasing after me, and burst into my room. I blast my music up to a deafening level and get a duffel bag and suitcase, roaming through my closet to get clothes. One or two pairs of jeans, many shorts, tank tops, swimsuit, underwear, ect. I sprint to the bathroom to grab my toiletries. After some thought, I grab some money and my guitar, stuffing the money into a small compartment in my suitcase.

When everything is packed, I put on a ballad, turning the music down to a more normal volume and lay down on my bed.

I should probably get some sleep before going on this trip.

Then I'm rudely awakened by a long honk. I grab my stuff and run down the stairs clumsily, saying good-bye to my dogs and locking the door. I hand Mrs. Flitcher the key, telling her everything she can know as I run backwards.

I stop when I turn around.

"Whoa." I stare at the hippie van in front of me.

"You like?" Shale winks with a vixen grin. Trev sits on the other side while Shelby is seated in the middle.

"Oh, me like." I nod, pulling the back door open and tossing my stuff into the corner where everyone else's is. There's a cooler and a plush rug in the back with a couple of pillows. I climb in.

Shale lays down on the horn again and Brad slowly walks out with a single duffel bag. He tosses it in, not even seeing me, smacking me in the face and making me fall backwards.

"Oof!!" I lay there for a second before the bag is lifted off of my face. Brad tosses it on top of my stuff, careful of my guitar.

"Sorry." He mutters, taking a seat far away from me. My eyebrows furrow with irritation and I crawl over to him, very closely.

"You know, I understand if you don't want to be with me. Hell, I'm the one that gave you the reason in the first place." I whisper to him. His eyes bore right into mine. "But that doesn't mean we can't go back to the way we were way before that. When we were friends. There's no harm in that."

He nods solemnly.

"I don't know how to though." He whispers back. I shrug, accidentally brushing his shoulder with mine. It's almost like I have catlike senses, I notice everything with him.

"Just how you think you did. I'll work on it to. Deal?" I stick my hand over to him. He shakes it, and then we awkwardly go back to our opposite sides of the van.

Okay, so maybe it will still be weird.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, there you go. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the transition smooth, from dramatic and intense to soft and funny again. Hopefully it works out well!

I'm not going to pressure you guys all the time for reviews, but I'd just like them once in a while to know if I'm doing good or not. Critizism is welcomed as long as its not along the lines of 'you suck!' or 'you're wasting your time, quit writing' because that's not critizism. That's just plain rude and hurtful.

I know that some authors get that and let me tell you, it really does hurt. I know I haven't gotten any, but I know how conscious someone can be when they're going out on quite a limb and anyone can comment.

But I'm happy that you're all nice reviewers ^_^