‹ Prequel: First Impressions
Status: Discontinued... sorry!!!

Second Impressions

CHAPTER 5

"Tash!"

"Oof!"

"I'm so happy to see you, how have you been, can we go surfing, I'm really hungry, what's for dinner?" I ramble off excitedly, still lying on top of him and hugging him. He smiles back at me.

"I'm happy to see you to. I've been doing pretty well, seeing as how it's summer and all. I have a surf board you can borrow. Dinner's in fifteen minutes and its tuna noodle casserole." We both get up and hug normally. Shelby hugs him after me, both of them muttering sweet something's to each other. The rest of us grab our bags out of the van.

"Autum!" Brad growls dangerously after I 'accidentally' knocked him over the head with my duffel bag.

"Sorry, it was an accident." I snicker as I walk away.

"I'll show you guys inside."

We walk up to the gigantic palace, me taking everything in with awe. It wasn't white like normal rich houses. It was made of red brick and had cobblestone walks across the entire area. The biggest building, which was where we were walking towards, looked to be four stories high with terraces at every other window and a great veranda.

Tash opened the mahogany door and stepped, all of us following orderly. I was the last to enter. Inside was grand. Two wide lovely staircases and a chandelier. Everything else was so beautiful, it could not be explained.

"You guys can just set your stuff there and get it later. Right now, it looks like everyone needs to get cleaned up for dinner. Autum, why are you sticky?" Tash questions, feeling a piece of my bangs.

"Brad spit his drink on me." I roll my eyes and follow Shale up one of the grand staircases. The three of us girls go into a bathroom the side of my bedroom. It was painted a soft lavender with navy blue decorations. I bet that tub could fit twenty people plus the fattest man in the world!

"So, when can I get to surf?" I ask as I splash water on to my face.

"Probably tomorrow. I think tonight we'll just settle in and hang out. Grandpa's got a fire pit so we can make smores." Shale says as she washes her hands.

"I'm just happy to see Tash again." Shelby states. "What colleges did you guys get in to?"

I stop rubbing my face and think. I applied to multiple universities that seemed promising and reassuring in their music department. I even sent recordings in after I figured out how to work the technology. Some of my better songs were on a CD and shipped across the entire country. Yet I hadn't got a single letter.

"I haven't gotten any letters yet." I mutter, suddenly feeling down and anxious. They both stare at me.

"What do you mean? Like, you haven't been accepted?" Shelby inquires with a confused expression. I shake my head.

"Or rejected. I haven't gotten any letters that have said anything. I'm sure I mailed them properly." I instantly make a plan to call Mrs. Flitcher and tell her to call me immediately if she comes across any letters from any universities.

"Hun, I'm sure you'll be just fine. Some colleges aren't able to send out any messages because they're totally swamped in some other shit." Shale tosses an arm around my shoulders. "I bet you'll get a whole bunch of acceptance letters!"

After chattering some more, the three of us head downstairs for dinner. Which is a grace from God itself because I'm sure my stomach would start eating my pancreas any moment.

Everyone chatters properly while I stuff my face. It really isn't my fault; everyone else stole the food that I bought for myself! They're so selfish.

I bite into a chicken leg as everyone else stares at me with bewildered looks on their faces. The elderly woman smiles at me gingerly.

"Autum, right?" I nod. "I'm Elenor and this is my husband Ralph. We are so happy you came to our home this summer." Her voice is like a mockingbird, sweet and singly. Soft wrinkles spread amongst her face, not exactly making her look old but more wise and mature.

Ralph was old though. He had little strands of white and gray hair strewn across his forehead. Crows feet surrounded the corners of his eyes horribly, but that didn't make his kind eyes mean. In fact, they enhanced their warmness.

"I'm so happy to be here! It's just so pretty and I haven't been able to surf since I left California, so I can't wait, and your food is amazing." I ramble off as I snake a fork-full of food into my mouth. They both beam at me with their blinding white smiles and go back to eating.

"You know how to surf?" God, why do people keep talking to me?! I want to eat!

I take a deep mouthful of food, puffing my cheeks out, and turn to my friends who stare back at me with looks of interest. I swallow.

"Of course I know how. What'd you think I did before I came here? Roller skate?" They continue to stare.

"We just thought that you did what you pretty much did when you came here . . . which we have no word to describe it at this moment, but that's beside the point." Shale grins at me. I shrug at her words.

"I'll just have to show you my awesome skills tomorrow. Now please, no more talking. I must eat!" I shove more food into my mouth. They chuckle at my antics and commence conversation among themselves. Though I do notice that one voice kept refusing to speak.