Begin Again

history books forgot about us.

The world isn’t ending; it’s starting over. Me and you, together, tight. It’s not ending; it’s beginning again. Fuck regrets, let’s burn this city down. Set fire to the third bar. Hold the pictures of the past up to the flame from the lighter and watch them to turn to ashes. No regrets and no clinging to the past. Starting over, you and me. Again. Once upon a time. Because I’m burning for you like a candle.

I think I loved you before I met you and I will always love you. It took two years to realize that no matter where I go, it will always come for circle. There’s no one for me but you. You’re not a reminder of the past I hate, but of the love I can never let go of, never escape. Believe in me, because I believe in you tonight.

Hands over my ears, screaming to drown out the sound. My ship went down in a sea of sound. This is where we start over. Racing through the city, windows down. My hand out the window as we speed through the darkness, the air cold on my fingers, numbing them, cold to the bone. Lights will guide you home.

Don’t forget, don’t forget I love you. Always have, always will. And we’re leaving it all behind, racing away from this city, these reminders. Look at this photograph. Out the window. Symbolically destroying the past as we run the red light. We will get out, we will never regret. We will start fresh and it will be perfect.

It’s a cold and it’s a broken hallelujah that we’re not going to be able to hear because we’ll be thousands of miles away. I would walk a thousand miles if I could just see you. That’s the way it is and the way it will always be. You are mine, I am yours. We can’t go anywhere except together. Try to forget you, but I couldn’t. And you knew me, you waited. Always so fucking patient with me. You catch my light and store it, give it back to me when I can’t get out of the darkness. Dark light, abandon all lost hope tonight.

You’re wearing your sunglasses at night and you’re smiling at me, so fucking huge. Your teeth are so white. I can feel something new. In my gut, I feel this emotion that I’ve never felt before. I’ve never been so alive, so fucking free in my life. We are poets and lovers, Shakespeares and Brownings. I can be Poe and you will be my Annabel Lee. We can live like Jack and Sally if we want to. You can always find me.

Ignoring all the exit signs until we’re so low on gas that we have to pull in somewhere. You kiss me hard, almost too much teeth when we get out of the car. Stretch our legs, swipe the debit card. We were always funny in that car crash sort of way. Counting little white lines on the highway and we’re getting out. Get out right now. It’s the end of everything that held us back. We are infinite, clearly aware of the stars.

I drove all night to get to you and now we’ll drive as long as it takes to leave everything behind. Buy plane tickets if we have to and cross the ocean. Christmas in Paris, can you imagine? Never going to regret watching every sunset. We’ll sit by the riverbank and have a picnic. Roll over and over in the grass, laughing and clinging to each other. You’re everything I never knew I wanted. I want to be next to you.

Baby, it’s three a.m. We’ve got to get some sleep. When you wake up, the dream isn’t done. It’s okay, don’t be afraid. I’ll be there when you wake up. We’ll hold each other through the night. At least the war is over. We’re out of sight, out of mind. I’ll hold you so tight that I’ll lose the circulation in my arms, but that’s okay. You’re all I ever needed, you. I can live without arms if I have you. Let’s pull over, there’s a hotel at this exit. I won’t let them hurt you. Don’t worry. We’re going to get through this.

The only place I’ll run to is you. Take my hand and we will run away. You don’t need to worry about me leaving anymore. It’s okay. We’re just beginning. Shut your eyes and go to sleep. Tonight’s the night the world begins again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Explanation for lyrics and such here.