Status: Working on chapter three.

Forest

Forest

The skies are shrouded in grey, not even a hint of sunlight peering through. The trees sway, their red and orange leaves rustling in the ever-constant breeze that floats through this place. The dirt, while mud would be a better way to put it, stays still. That is, until two sets of footprints mark it. It folds in on their feet, sticking to their shoes and coming off in small, gooey bits. Leaves that have fallen are stepped on, broken down into smaller pieces that will be all but forgotten once it rains again. When it rains, they'll fall into the earth, nothing but a brief memory in someone's short life. For these leaves, those lives, those people who stepped on them, their lives are especially short. For they are ending.

Two girls make their way through the forest, the constantly twisting path confusing them. But it doesn't deter their progress, no, they're too set on what they are to do to give up because of some disorienting pathway. The breeze ruffles their clothes, plays with the hair on their heads, but they ignore it. They disregard all of the natural beauty surrounding them. Their expressions are solemn, one's forehead is creased with worry, concern. To any potential passers-by, this would be strange. After all, people rarely come to this place. No one seems to contain the amount of patience to make it out of the forest, and even when they do, cliffs are their only salvation. Few decide to make it that far.

The girls meet a clearer spot, the trees becoming fewer and fewer until there are none. The ground isn't muddy, but dusty. Rock takes the place of grass and trees. They look around. No one. The girl on the right, one with sandy blonde hair and pale grey eyes, makes her way to the cliff. Looks below her. Grey colored waves crash with great ferocity against the rocks below, the aftermath white and frothy. The waters here are known for their power, their white waters and crushing waves. When the girl smiles at the sound of the waves, the thundering sound they create as they collide with the cliffs, her intentions, at the very least, become a bit clearer. She sits down, her pale legs even paler in contrast with the brown colored stone, and dangles half of her body over the edge. The other girl, who isn't quite as pale, takes a seat beside her. Her brown hair in tangles, her icy blue eyes troubled. No, to passers-by, these two were just two normal women, enjoying their surroundings. Not related at all, except by friendship. Some common ground forged by the two of them. Those people would be wrong.

They were sisters, born into this world as two bodies but one entity. They did not have parents, only a common, single creator. Both hold one half of everything. All fact, all fiction. Every opinion ever formed, every random thought. Still, they didn't know of their own outcomes. Not until their prophecy had been uttered. Those words, now and again, echoed in their heads. Kept them awake at night, filled with fear. Hundreds of tears had already been shed for them, by them. No one but themselves mourned their own demise. No, those people didn't understand. The two were born into this world expecting some kind of acceptance, hoping to blend in amongst the common folk. They were wrong. People shunned them, cursed them under their breath. No one cared for them. Young as they were, they were younger yet when they began caring for themselves, relying on few to no people but each other. Regardless, today it would end. Today the prophecy would be fulfilled. The good people of this village would not have to waste their stakes and torches on them, no. And neither girl would be accused of witchcraft, never again. Today was the end, today was the beginning. They came to help, to be written off as normal but still aid people in life. They left shunned, threatened, bruised and battered. The girl with the brown hair still had a dark bruise on her delicate face. Dried blood encrusted in her tattered clothing, and on her boots, which were falling apart at the seams. The blonde girl showed no signs of physical injury, but her eyes were filled with the pain her sister endured. This could’ve been avoided, they thought at once. Things could’ve been better. After all, what had they done to these people to deserve such treatment? What had they done to themselves, subjecting themselves to their abuse?

One looked at the other. One nodded. Sure on things or not, they still asked questions. The blonde girl broke their heavy silence. “Are you afraid?”

“Sister, I may be afraid,” The brunette said, gazing out at the sea, “But we have each other. This will be as good as it could be.” She glanced over at her sister, her eyes sad. “Still, I feel that maybe the prophecies are wrong. What is a prophecy but a fancy word for a shot in the dark?”

“True, but regardless, this is what must be done. Prophecy or not, we are labeled as witches. Scum of this society. If we run, they will find us, or we will create new enemies. We are without options.” The blonde girl stood, hearing dozens of footsteps somewhere off in the distance. A carriage was being brought somewhere, and there were people approaching, for whatever reason. If it was pursual, she didn’t want to be there when they arrived. “Let us begin.”

“Right.” The brunette rose, took her sisters hands gently in her own. They stood at the edge of the cliff, their eyes closed, and focused their minds on the earth below them. Gradually, they felt it shudder, and shudder violently. A tremor broke the earth a few feet behind them, tore the cliff away from the land, from the dark forest. And then, the two girls mumbled something.

“Let us return to the earth.” They said simultaneously. Their voices were the same, their appearances shifting to match the other’s. Everything that made them unique was no longer. And as they uttered these final, simple words, they fell from the cliff and plummeted to the rough waters below.
♠ ♠ ♠
I work on way too much at once. xD I'm sorry. There might be some grammatical/spelling errors I missed, if so, please point them out? And hey, let me know what you think. Thanks.