Status: Something I'm playing around with. NOT a main story at this time, slow updates are to be expected.

Just Say My Name

“Say it. Even if you just say it once.”

I’ve got to hear my name before I forget it altogether, you know?


He seems nice enough at first. He sweeps me off my feet at the social gathering of the year, all dressed up in his finery. I’m all dolled up in mine…the chiffon, the lace, the many layers of silken skirts. He’s got this long blue tailcoat with silver embroidery that he leaves unbuttoned, with his fancy white shirt underneath. He’s wearing black breeches, also with silver embroidery, and shiny, new black boots. He literally takes my breath away, the most perfect specimen of a man that I have seen in all my seventeen years. And I know there’s something a little off about him right then, but I don’t care.

And that’s just how it all begins.

You see, I know very well in the beginning that I’m Marianne Elizabeth Walker, the only daughter of the widowed, wealthy owner of a trading company. I know that my father has high expectations for my marriage, and was even working on a marriage the son of the General of our country’s marines. He wanted a highborn husband for me, all finery and someone who could give me the little things, and anything I could ever desire. He never saw the other side, my side. I would dance with nearly every man at any ball, and he thought I was just being polite. Really, I just didn’t want to settle for a man I barely knew as the man I would spend the rest of my life with, or mourning over, whatever the case may be.

Yet neither one of us saw what really happened coming. We never saw the pirate ship, hidden in an unused cove nearby. I never thought that this finely dressed man in the blue and silver and black clothes could have been what he was. We never could have guessed that their sole purpose in the beginning was to cripple our marine forces, to sneak in and destroy their warships. And I never thought I’d be called anything but Miss Walker, or Marianne Elizabeth, or Mari by my only true friend, my handmaiden.

Even more frustrating to the highborn daughter of a trading company owner was the rocking of a pirate’s craft out in rough waters, churning my delicate stomach until I had to empty its contents into the waves of the angry sea.

And that was just the beginning...

After all, he'd seemed nice enough at first.
  1. Of Ball Gowns and Fancy Things
    In which Marianne prepares for a social gathering.
  2. Of Extravagant Balls and Gentlemen
  3. Of Pirates and Prey
    In which Marianne wakes onboard a ship.
  4. Of Marianne's Unexpected Savior
    In which Marianne sees a man she never thought she'd see again.
  5. Of the Beginnings of Life Aboard Sanctuary
    In which Marianne is slighly ill.
  6. Of Which End is the Right End
    In which Marianne learns a bit about cooking.
  7. Of Swords and Kitchens
    In which Marianne convinces Eli to train her to fight.