The Letters

six

I opened my eyes as the sun shined through the windows and into the spacious living room. I groaned and shuffled into the en-suite washroom. I had fallen asleep on the couch in the dress I had been wearing the day before. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, my waist length blonde hair was messy, my freckled skin had tanned in the summer heat, and my hazel eyes were struggling to stay open. I brushed my teeth and quickly ran a comb through my hair. I walked back into my room and opened another suitcase, ready to unpack my last bag. I zipped open the bag and saw the box, the letter box. I picked it up and walked over to my bed and pushed it underneath. Half an hour later my last bag was packed and I was ready to go explore the city. I wanted to see a bit of the city before it became dark outside. I had showered and changed into a tank top and shorts, my wavy hair tied back into a pony tail.

I bounded down the stairs with my keys and a map in my hands feeling excited. As I reached the last step I walked into a person’s chest, I stumbled back and felt a pair of hands grab my arms and steady me.

I looked up and gasped. I was staring into a pair of large honey coloured eyes. Gabe’s eyes. Jack walked into the foyer not sensing the tension.

“Oh, morning Drea! This is Gabe, he owns Belle. Maybe we can go for a walk together, show you around. Wait, do you guys know each other?” Jack rambled. Gabe was silent the entire time, his warm hands still holding onto me.

My eyes filled up with tears as I pulled out of Gabe’s hands and ran up the stairs. The tears blurred my vision as I stumbled to the third floor, I heard voices downstairs. I fumbled with the lock and finally pushed the door open. I ran into my bedroom, slammed the door and curled up on my bed. Why was this happening? The warm tears flowed down my cheeks as I wrapped the covers tightly around myself.

A few minutes later I heard the front door opening and closing, and footsteps getting closer to my room. Shit, why didn’t I lock the door? I squeezed my eyes shut and pulled the covers over my head before the door to my room opened. I felt someone sit on the bed beside me, a few moments passed.

“D-Drea, listen.” I heard Gabe choke. I sat up, furious.

“Listen?! After what you did to me?! I got out of my bed, at the same time Gabe stood on the other side of the bed. I glared at him from across the bed. He looked the same with his black hair and honey coloured eyes. I felt the tears start to sting my eyes again. “I’m not going to cry, not in front of him.” I chanted to myself. I had enough, I couldn’t stand it, I started walking towards the door but Gabe grabbed my elbow and spun my around to face him.

“Please Drea; I really, really need to say this. I never meant to hurt you, but I was scared and I was stupid. I know that you might not want to forgive me right now or ever but I just want you to know that I’m sorry.” Gabe took in a deep breath and looked into my eyes. “And that I still love you.”

The tears I was trying to hold back spilled down my cheeks and I leaned against the wall and slid down. I held my head in my hands and cried. Gabe sat down beside me, pulled me closer and let me cry on his shoulder. I could care less that Gabe was the person comforting me; I just wanted to let it all out. I cried and cried till I fell asleep to the sound of Gabe’s breathing.