Status: Re-Write of Summer Wine

The Best Deceptions

Baby It's Cold Outside

I woke to the sound of faint singing. It was an elegant contrast of a small voice and a beautiful baritone, I knew who they belonged too.

I tiptoed downstairs. They were singing Christmas music. Ada sat on the counter, swinging her legs back and forth while Ville leaned against the island, a cup of coffee in his hand.

Ada sang a few lines, Ville watched her intently then sat his coffee cup down.

“All I want for Christmas is you.” He sang then wrapped his arms around her and tickled her. Her laughs bounced off of the walls filling the house with the joyous noise. He rubbed his cheek against hers, the stubble on his chin tickling her face.

She put her small hands against his cheeks and pushed him away, giggling the entire time.

“What?” He asked, speaking Finnish to her. Her mouth twisted as she thought, when the word came to mind she bounced happily.

“You’re silly.” She said, smiling proudly.

He kissed her forehead, “You’re silly.”

“I really did want you for Christmas.” She stopped speaking Finnish, her voice was small and almost ashamed. She’d asked me for a Dad since she learned most people have them. It wasn’t a fleeting hope for a normal life she genuinely wanted a Dad and everything he represented. She wanted someone to teach her how to ride a bicycle, to read her bedtime stories and part of me thinks she didn’t want me to be alone anymore. She was a joyfully aware six year old.

Ville smiled and kissed the top of her head, “I wanted you and your mom…you want to help me figure out what to get your mom? I could use your help.”

Ada grinned madly, “From me and you?”

“Yes,”

I already had everything I’d ever wanted out of life. I walked back upstairs. I didn’t want to ruin their surprise, I’m the worst faker.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's short but I thought it should have ended right there.
Do you like it?
I hope so.

Title Credit: Baby It's Cold Outside by Dean Martin & Doris Day (Don't make fun lol)