Price Check On Monogamy

The Prom, Part I

"You three look absolutely beautiful."

I beamed, and for once, it was totally real. It was the night of prom, and, so far, everything was going great-- I didn't even mind spending a million hours getting ready with Tawny and Lexy, both of whom were totally synched with me today. Tawny was finally getting back into her groove, and Lexy was just caught up in the whole experience; I'm pretty sure she was finally feeling like she was growing up.

Now the guys were standing on Lexy's front lawn, and we were all taking pictures and laughing; it was great. Tawny had her black her side swept over her eyes and her makeup light; she'd ended up buying a forest green dress which, though it pissed me off that she hadn't gotten the red dress that she'd so obviously loved, was a very good fit for her. It was floor length and fitted, the top of the dress crossing over her otherwise bare back and joining back down to the sleek, satin skirt. She'd never done very well in heels, so she was wearing low, black sandals that didn't show through the dress, anyway. The only jewelry she was wearing were things that Adam had given her; a simple black choker and emerald earrings. I didn't even want to bitch about Adam's existence as he wrapped his sleazy, disgusting arms around her waist; I was way too happy that she was finally happy.

Lexy had gone with the light blue dress after all; she looked so... fluffy. There was no other word for it. She'd teased up her brown hair and used pink and light blue make up to give herself a sort of cotton candy theme; it was absolutely adorable with her pink heels and pink ribbon necklace, especially standing next to Jason, who was dressed in an all white tux with a red vest and a red and white striped tie. They were a candy couple-- literally. And both were glowing so tangibly that it was hard not to smile looking at him hold her around the waist.

I'd ended up going in a 50's glamour look; a rose-coloured, three-quarter sleeved, velvet dress that ended around mid thigh. The neckline was draped around my shoulders and chest. I absolutely loved it, and was wearing it with a long chain of pearls and pearl earrings, dark rose lipstick and black eyeliner. I'd curled whatever hair had grown back from my pixie cut to a bob around my face, and was wearing black sunglasses and, finally, black mary jane shoes. Tyler had come in a classic black tux with a red rose in his jacket, and the second he'd saw me, he looked at me like I was the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen.

And I felt beautiful.

- - -

Tandem tugged at his jacket uncomfortably and shoved his hands in his pockets. He did not want to go to prom. He hadn't even wanted to take his finals. He didn't want to be anywhere near school.

Damn Caleb.

Caleb shoved Tandem and stared at his drolly, his other arm wrapped around Heather's waist. "Tandem, get your shit together, man. Are you ready to go inside or not? It's starting to get cold out here."

The prom hadn't officially started yet, but it was already getting dark, the wind picking up in front of the hotel the dance was being held in. People were still arriving, and Tandem was still technically waiting for his "date".

Not that Caleb really gave a fuck if Tandem bothered to wait for her or not.

"I'm waiting for someone," Tandem mumbled, shooting Caleb a dark look. Caleb had convinced him to go, and he'd ended up being stuck with one of Katy's friends as a date. If he had to wait for her and survive the night, Caleb wasn't about to leave him behind.

Caleb opened his mouth, probably to snap at him for being such a sulky asshole, when he shut it again, his mouth suddenly drawn into a tight line. Tandem turned to look at whatever it was that Caleb was staring at and groaned inwardly. Eli had just gotten out of a limo.

Tandem still hadn't found the will to ask Eli about Tiger. He hadn't even found the will to look Eli in the eyes since they'd last talked. Hell, he still hadn't forgiven Caleb for not fucking telling him that not only was Tiger over him, she had completely moved on, too.

Then again, Tandem had been keeping secrets, too. So now they were even.

Tandem had almost looked away when a flash of something caught his eye. Eli had stepped back, and instead of a date coming out, Jason had, dressed like a freaking candy cane. The sight made Tandem smirk; typical, very typical. It was less typical when Lexy-- shy, quiet Lexy-- got out of the car dressed as a cotton candy princess. He had to admit, though, it was a cute couples thing, in a weird sort of way. Couples... he'd never done anything like it. He'd never actually had the idea.

Maybe he should've tried it. Maybe he should've thought more along the lines of, "She's different."

Caleb grabbed Tandem's arm and shook him out of his thoughts. "Tandem, you should--"

Tandem blinked and shook his head, trying to clear it. And the first thing he saw was that stupid fucking punk Tyler-- helping Tiger out of the limo.

Tandem swallowed, but his throat was too dry for it to make a difference; he still couldn't breath. She looked absolutely stunning. Like a movie star.

"You knew," Tandem hissed at Caleb, turning on him and yanking his arm back. "You knew she was going to be here."

Heather laughed nervously at the sudden tension between the two. "You're still not done with her, Tandem? That's weird."

Tandem sent her a glare so hostile that it made Caleb shove him. "Tandem, shut the fuck up. Yeah, I knew, so what? I didn't think it would matter all that much. Now shut the fuck up, get in the dance, and have a good fucking time, will you?"

Tandem stared at Caleb for a second. "Let's go," He said tightly, turning and walking into the hotel without a glance back.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had to split it into two parts because it was too long... o___o;;

Anyway, as always, thank you so much to everyone that commented and subscribed! You guys mean the world to me... and this story. <3

Enjoy~