Price Check On Monogamy

The Winter Ball

“You look like a vampire.”

I smirked as Caleb glared at Katy, who was trying-- and failing-- to fade into the background.

“Don’t blame me,” she squeaked. “She was being mean, and then, well--“

“You’re damned boyfriend called,” Caleb snapped. “All you had to do was stay with her and make sure that she didn’t buy anything absolutely ridiculous. This is the first time that she’s going to a formal event, and she looks like a vampire.”

I raised an eyebrow at him. “Do you understand what formal means, Caleb?” Katy had decided to wear something that matched her perfectly; a sequined, pink strapless dress that ended mid thigh and black heels, a tiara twisted into her blonde hair. Evidentially, I would be overdressed. Again.

“Shut up, Tiger,” Caleb snapped, pulling his phone out. “Hello? Jeremy? Where the hell are you? … dude, I don’t care, just get over here, my sisters are fucking driving me crazy.”

“Hey!” Katy almost squealed, picking up her phone. The relief in her voice made me ridiculously envious; looks like she was going with her boyfriend. “Sure, I’ll be out in a second!” Katy almost sprinted out of the house.

Damn her.

Caleb grabbed my arm, making me jump. “Come on,” he said gruffly, pulling me out of the house. Tandem’s car was parked right outside, Tandem leaning against it, smiling.

“’Sup, guys,” he said easily, opening the car door as we got closer.

“Oh, wonderful,” Caleb mumbled, irritated. Heather was in the car, waving at him like a maniac. “Just what I needed. Her.”

“She’s your girlfriend,” I pointed out as he let go of my arm.

“And?”

I raised an eyebrow as he vaulted over the door into the backseat, completely ignoring Heather as she hugged him and chattered on about her day; she didn’t seem to really notice, or care. I winced; they’d been together for almost a year. Was this how relationships usually went?

“Don’t worry about it, babe,” I rolled my eyes as Tandem hugged me from behind. “It’s just how they work with each other.”

“I didn’t ask you,” I pointed out drily, getting into the car and crossing me arms. Tandem laughed and got into the car, starting it and turning the music up; probably to avoid hearing Heather and Caleb argue, as they undoubtedly would start doing soon.

Pulling up to the school, Tandem swung into the nearest parking space and surprised me by opening my door for me. “Ladies first,” he said, grinning. I scowled at him and got out, slamming the door on the way. Checking my phone, I grinned at the text from Lexy; tiggy where are you???

Typing a reply fast, I sent it right before Tandem plucked it out of my hands. “None of that tonight,” he said easily, pocketing my phone. The jackass.

“Give me my damn phone back!” I hissed, hand extended and opened. Tandem just grabbed my hand and laced his fingers through it, laughing.

“Relax, babe; enjoy the night.”

Fuming as we walked through the doors, I glared pointedly back at Stephanie. The look on her face as she walked away nulled the irritation I was feeling at least a little; That’s right, bitch. I’m in a terrible mood; back the fuck off.

Shoving Tandem away from the back of my chair and pulling it out myself, I narrowed my eyes as he laughed at me, hands raised in mock defeat. “Don’t laugh at me,” I snapped.

“Then don’t act like such a little kid.”

“Maybe I wouldn’t have to act like one if you acted your age.”

“Tiger--“

“Tigger!” I broke into a relieved smile as Tawny leaned down to hug my shoulders, obviously hoping to stop a fight. “Can we sit with you?”

I turned and valiantly ignored Adam’s disgustingly grimy grin to smile at my friends. Lexy and Tawny looked amazing; the dresses fit them perfectly. Jason looked great in his tux; childish, but then again, Jason usually looked childish, with his hair messy and a bashful smile. Only Adam looked out of place, disgusting and grimy and completely unkempt.

But hey, I could deal with that tonight.

“Of course,” I said happily, sending a bitter glare at Tandem, Caleb, and Heather. Caleb and Heather stood up immediately, walking away over to another table and continuing whatever argument they were having this time. Tandem just rolled his eyes and sat next to me, turning to talk to the guys sitting behind us.

“This place is amazing,” Lexy gushed, sitting on the other side of me, Jason taking the seat next to her and wrapping his arm around her.

“It really does,” Tawny added wistfully, staring around. Adam, the creep, collapsed into his chair and started texting.

Looking around, I had admit, they were right. Even though it was our school auditorium being used, it looked nothing like it usually did. The stage in the center was being used as a stand for the musicians, and the tables were set up around the circular floor, the middle a dance floor. Blue and white streamers and tinsel hung from the high ceiling, Christmas lights highlighting paper snowflakes. Fake snow drifted down slowly, the machine buzzing quietly just behind the music. Every dance at our school was completely formal, and completely catered; rich kids got rich treatment, no matter what.

“Your food will arrive shortly,” I looked up at the server, an old man who looked rather uncomfortable in his tux, and smiled. He must be knew to the catering serve that the school usually hired; all the other workers were stuck up and irritating, either kissing ass because they knew we were all high class kids, or acting like they were too good to be serving a bunch of rich teenagers.

“Thank you,” I nodded. He gave me a small smile and went back to what he was doing, laying out cups and napkins at every table and assuring the impatient masses that their food would be there soon.

“You don’t have to thank the help,” Tandem pointed out, eyebrow raised. “That’s their job, remember?”

I scowled at him. “Shut up, you overly egotistic--“

Tandem coughed loudly and nodded his head pointedly toward the people sitting behind him. Taking a drink from his glass, he stared at me over the rim, eyebrow raised.

Sighing, I stared at my hands in my lap.

“Here’s your food, sorry to keep you waiting.”

The food smelled delicious, and looked delicious, but that wasn’t what made my head snap up. Turning in my seat, I stared at the waiter, young for someone working at the prestigious catering company, and took in his spiked black hair, gelled into a faux-hawk, bright smile standing out against his tanned skin. Almost not believing my luck, I asked quietly, “Tyler?”

The waiter turned his head fast, breaking into a wide, genuine smile that warmed my heart exponentially. “Tiger? Hey!”

Behind him, I could see Lexy and Tawny exchanging grins. Both turned to give me a double thumbs up. Ignoring them. I asked, “Wow… you work here?”

Tyler laughing. “No, not really here. I’ve never been in here before. I do work for the catering company, however. Hey, I didn’t know that you went to Evergreen’s.”

I shrugged, laughing. “Yeah, it’s not exactly my—“

Ahem,” Tandem cleared his throat loudly and made me stiffen in my seat. If I turned even a fraction of an inch, I would punch him in the mouth. Best to just smile at Tyler and lean back in my seat.

“Oh, yeah. This is my brother’s friend, Tyler; the one I was talking about. Tandem.”

Tyler’s smile only dimmed for a second before it was back to lighting the entire table better than the candles in the center ever could. “Hey, Tandem; I’m Tyler.”

“Hey,” Tandem said, nodding stiffly. Glancing behind him at his friends, he continued, “Don’t you have any other tables to serve?”

Tyler laughed, rubbing the back of his neck embarrassedly. “Oh, yeah. Sorry, got caught up in talking to the pretty lady,” Winking at me and making me blush, he shoved his hands in his apron and walked off, throwing over his shoulder, “Nice seeing you, Tiger. We should catch up sometime.”

Staring at Tyler as he walked away mournfully, I turned to hiss at Tandem; I didn’t make it before he grabbed my arm and dragged me up, however. “Can I speak to you?” Tandem said calmly. His grip on my arm tightened and I winced a little.

Refusing to show any pain, however, I narrowed my eyes at him. “I don’t know, genius; can you?”

Lexy and Tawny exchanged nervous glances; Jason looked like he was about to stand up and punch Tandem, something I was amazed to see. Jason never looked angry, but right now, he looked furious.

“Let her arm go, you’re going to hurt her!” Jason almost shouted, standing up. The tables around us went quiet. Tandem sighed and shook his head; not giving Jason a chance to continue, he dragged outside.

“What the hell was that?” Tandem hissed, letting me go once the door snapped closed.

“That?” I hissed. “That was you being a total dick and probably bruising my arm. What the hell is wrong with you? So used to getting what you want that you have to throw tantrums whenever you don’t?”

Tandem ran a hand through his hair, shaking his head angrily. “You don’t get it! You’re my girlfriend, Tiger, you can’t just flirt with other guys like that!”

“I. Am. NOT. Your. Girlfriend!” I screamed at him, making him wince. Taking a sick sort of pleasure out of that, I continued, “Just because you don’t want to lose a fucking bet--“

“IT’S MORE THAN THAT!” Tandem bellowed. Closing his eyes and turning to stand in front of the wall, he slammed his fist against it angrily. I could hear him as he took deep breaths, hand clenching and unclenching at his side. Turning back to me, he opened his eyes and said more calmly, “It’s more than just a bet, Tiger. A lot more.”

And, with that, he turned to walk back into the dance.

“Wait!” I stomped my foot, irritated; what the hell did that mean? “What the hell does that mean? Tandem!” Running in after him and grabbing his arm, I let go instantly as he shook himself free, turning to look at me. “What does that mean? Is this a game to you? I want to know what the hell I’m involved in now!”

Tandem just shook his head. When his hair cleared his eyes, I unclenched my fist; I had never seen him look so sad.

“Just let it go, Tiger. Please, just let it go.”

And, for the first time since we’d started this entire bet, I didn’t argue.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, another chapter! :3

Sorry that it took so long. >.<;; Complications, complications.

... and the fact that I have a new story up, which I shall be updating next. xD

As always, thankyouthankyouthankyou to the subscribers and commenters. :3 You make my life~<3

Enjoy~