Finding the Light

Up To The Challenge

The Hayz were my family from then on. I never saw mum again, but the last I herd was that she topped herself. In a way I was glad to see the back of her. This gang was all I needed at the time. We were kinda there as a pride sorta thing, to compete with Sixty Beef.

Each gang on the streets had a code which, all the gangs recognised. Basically so the police couldn't tell us apart but we could. Our code was to colour the tips of our shoe laces red, the girls had to tie dark green ribbons around their ankles. I think Sixty Beef’s code was to iron a crease in a cross shape on the back of a t-shirt.

One thing I remember, like it was yesterday was the day I had to prove myself “worthy” to become a Hayz. Worst day of my life. It was about 12;00 in the day. Holly, the gang and me were standing outside Sainsbury’s waiting for the victim of the day. It was my turn to cause damage to someone’s life. This young kid was about 13 years old who came out of the store. When he saw us approaching him with a pistol, the terror on his face was indescribable. All the blood drained from his face as we shoved him to the ground behind the car park. “Giv us your trainers!” one guy shouted and kicked him in the side.

“Oy! What are you kids doing? Leave that kid alone or I’m calling the police. ” This brave, foolish old man started yelling at us. I quickly ripped the shoes from the terrified boy, and shot the BB gun I was holding at him. A blow straight to the head. I didn't mean to I just panicked and ran. Everyone was so proud of me which made me feel amazing and powerful. Nothing had ever excited me like that before. Now that I had shot at least one person I could leave the rest up to the professionals. There were kids of 7 and above in this gang, who were more experienced than me. But I couldn't really blame them though. Most of them had come from backgrounds just like mine. Which made me think that all heart aches comes from families. The people you think will be there for you through thick and thin wont be there. Really families are just made for disappointment.