It Happens to the Best of People

Disappointing News

Two things I Love about summer vacation:
One: I'm away from that evil school for like 2 months.
Two: I get to spend more time doing what I love to do, dancing. Over summer break, I work at a local dance studio. Since I help my instructor with some of her classes, I get free lessons It's my favorite place to be. Everytime I'm there dancing, everything seems to go away. All my troubles don't exist anymore. Which is exactly what I need right now, considering that my mother suddenly decided to visit my dad and I this summer. I wonder how long she's going to be in town this time. Long story short, my mom walked out on my dad and I when I was 4 years old. Every time she comes around, it's always because she "needs" something. Go figure! But anyways, whenever I get stressed out or frustrated, I just play some music and dance it off.
"Hey Mya, do you mind coming in tomorrow morning and helping me set up the studio?" My dance instructor asked.

"Sure, no problem." I smiled.

"Great, thanks." She smiled back at me. "Oh and by the way, you did a nice job. I swear, you're getting better and better everyday your in here."

"Well, I have been dancing since I was about 5." I laughed.

"True. Well, I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Yeah, see you tomorrow." I smiled back.
When I arrived home, my dad was yelling on the phone about something that happened at work. My dad's a movie director/producer. His job consists of traveling, constantly. Which is why I go to Liberty Academy, a boarding school in Manhattan. He didn't feel comfortable leaving me alone at home for weeks, sometimes months, at a time. Ususally in the summer, he gets a break of some kind and doesn't have to travel as much. The movie that he's working on is located in New York City. Which isn't far considering how we live in Long Island.
"How can you make a mistake like that?!" My dad yelled into the phone. "You're lucky that I don't fire you right now!"
As you can tell, my dad's job gets very stressful. "Just fix it!" My dad yelled before he hung up.

"Is everything okay, dad?" I asked.

"No, I gotta run to New York tonight." My dad said looking for his keys. "I won't be home til late. If your mom stops by, tell her that I'm at work. God, that women chose the wrong time to visit."

"Okay. See ya later." I said as my dad left. I went up stairs to my room and pulled out a From First to Last CD and put it in my stereo.
From First to Last is my favorite band out there. You would think that since I love to dance that I would listen to Hip-Hop and stuff like that. I still do, in fact I listen to all kinds of music. But my favorite type of music is Alternative and Punk rock. I've pretty much gotten to the point where I can dance to any type of music. And I do mean ANY type of music.
Once the music started, I found myself dancing around my room. Everytime I hear music, I just can't help but to dance. It wasn't too much longer until my mother called.

"Mya Daniella Cardenas, I've been knocking on the door for like 10 minutes! I can hear your music from outside, turn it down and let me in!" My mother said angrily.

"Okay, fine." I sighed. "I'll be down in a minute." I turned off my stereo and went downstairs to let my mother in.

"Took you long enough. Where's your father?" She asked. "I need to talk to him."

"I'm fine, thanks for asking." I said sarcastically.

"Mya, don't get smart with me, where's your father. It's important."

"I wonder what you could possibly want from dad now." I said rolling my eyes.

"This does not involve you. This is between me and your father."

"I'm not stupid, Mom. Every time you come around, you want something from dad. It's obvious."

"Where's your father." My mom said through gritted teeth.

"He's at work."I said crossing my arms. "I can tell him you stopped by."

"Gracias, Mya. But I think I'll just stop by tomorrow."

"Okay, whatever."
It was silent for a moment, and I could tell that my mother was starting to feel awkward.

"Mya, you know that never meant to hurt you or your father."

"I really don't want talk about this."

"Okay, well I guess I better go. Adios, Mya. Hasta la manana."
Since both of my parents are like 95% hispanic, they both speak both spanish and english. Because of that, I can speak spanish on top of english.

"Adios, mama." I said.
As I watched my mother leave, I thought about all the times she's visited. Ever since I can remember, she has always been coming and going. As soon as she gets what she wants, she leaves. That's how I know why she's here. It's because she wants something. Some mom I have.
The next morning, I got up and got ready for dance class. I always help her out in the moring.

"Hey dad, I'm leaving for the dance studio."

"Wait, I have something to tell you before you leave."

"What's up?" I said when I walked into his office.

"Something came up at work..." My dad started.

"Dad just cut to the chase. I'm in a hurry."

"We're gonna have a house guest over the summer." Dad said nervously.

"Wait, it's not one of the casts from your latest movie. Dad you know what happened the last time. Plus you said that you would make sure that it wouldn't happen again." The last time this happened, I got into an actual fight with one of the casts my dad was working with. Don't ask how it started.

"I know and I did everything I could, but my job gets very stressful. Now I want you to be on your best behavior."

"Dad..." I groaned.

"Mya, please. Do your father a favor."

"Fine." I growled. "BTW, mother stopped by last night."

"I figured she would."

"Well, I'm leaving. See ya...whenever." I said.

"Actually, I'm gonna be home all day today. And I want you home early so you can meet the house guest."

"Okay, fine." I muttered. Some summer this was turning out to be.