It Happens to the Best of People

No Regrets

By lunch, I was fed up with everyone and everything. I was hoping that nobody would find me. I didn’t want to be bothered.
“Hey Mya.” Hayleigh said. “What’s up?”

“The usual.” I sighed.

“Since we don’t have dance practice today, why don’t hang out with me and my friends after school? Ever since school started, you’ve been cranky, really cranky.”

“So you want me to hang out with you and your friends, who all have a bad case of senioritis. Yeah, no thanks.”

“Mya, it’s really hard for me to see you like this every day.”
I shrug my shoulders “You don’t have to.”

“Mya, I’m your best friend. You know that you can always talk to me.”

“If this is some kind of way to get me to tell you about what happened over the summer, it’s not working.” I smirk.

“It was worth a shot.” She smiles.
Claire and Christy join me and Hayleigh a couple minutes later. As Christy takes a seat, she looks at me and rolls her eyes.
“I really hate chemistry.” Claire said.

“It’s not that bad.” I said.

“Well some of us aren’t geniuses like some people.” Christy snaps.

“So I have an IQ of 197, big deal.” I mutter under my breath while Christy rolls her eyes again.

“Christy, what happened earlier between you and that girl? What’s her name again? I can never remember it.” Claire said.

“Oh you mean, Kari? She was just talking shit again. So I shut her up.” Christy said shrugging her shoulders.

“Doesn’t surprise me. She always has something to say about somebody.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Yeah and it’s always is about you too.” Christy said.

“And I don’t get why? What have I ever done to her?” I yell.

“Come on, Mya. You know she’s just jealous of you. I mean your dad’s a movie director/producer. He works with celebrities. Plus you’re like a genius.” Hayleigh says.

“Yeah, you are an amazing dancer.” Claire said

“Everything just comes so easy for you.” Christy says.

“Guys, because of my dad’s job, I’m stuck in this hellhole. And besides I’m never around my dad when he’s working. It’s not like I get to meet celebrities he works with. And do think I like being this smart? I’m so sick of people taking advantage of me because I’m so smart. It is the only reason why people are nice to me. Other than that they treat like shit. And nothing comes easy for me. So I don’t know where the hell you got that.” I retort back.

“Not everybody here treats you bad.” Claire says.

“Well, she is everyone’s target during prank week.” Christy says.

“Not helping.” Hayleigh snaps.

“Look guys, it’s whatever. But the day I get outta here the better.”

My phone started vibrated out of nowhere. “Who the hell is calling me?” Once I grab my phone, I look at the caller ID. “What does she want.” I growl.

“Mom, why are you calling me, I’m in school.” I said. It was very strange for my mom to call me. “You did what?! Why?! It doesn’t involve…” The one thing about my mom is that she can never mind her own damn business. “Mom, summer is over. Get over it.” I said before hanging up.

“What was that all about?” Hayleigh asks.

“Yeah, that sounded like a very serious conversation.” Claire added.

“Nothing, just my mother being annoying like usual. I’m going to the library. I’ll catch up with you guys later.” I said as I grabbed my things and rushed off to the library. Once I got the library, I saw AJ sitting at all by himself.
AJ, is another one of my best friends. AJ, stands for Amadeo Jiovani. But since no one can pronounce it, everyone just calls him AJ. I’ve known him since the 7th grade. He’s a really cool guy. He knows how to make me laugh when I’m down. Before I started talking to Hayleigh, Claire and Christy, I hung out with AJ. He was my main friend here, well besides my other friend Sam.

“Hey.” I smiled.

“Sorry, but I don’t talk to strangers.” He smirks.

“I know it’s been awhile since I’ve talked to you, but I’ve been busy.”

“Mya, you’ve been like a ghost. You hardly text me or call me. Which reminds me, I hardly ever heard from you over the summer. And even when I would call you or text you, it was always, I can’t talk or I’m busy.”

“I know and I’m sorry. But I had a really crazy summer, plus on top of that my mom decided to stay in town for a while.” I sighed.

“That must have been a long summer.”

“Oh you have no idea.”
As if on cue, my mom walks in the library. “You have got to be kidding me. Mom, what are you doing here?”

“Mya, we need to talk.” My mom says.

“Well, you just wasted your time.” I said grabbing my stuff. “I’ll see you later AJ.”

“Mya, don’t walk away from me, I’m talking to you.”

“I don’t want to talk. Don’t you get it?” I said.

“You can’t run from this. Running away from it isn’t going to make it any better.”
I stop dead in my tracks and turn around to look at my so called “mother”.

“Like you’re one to talk.”

“I know I shouldn’t be to tell you this…”

“You got that right. So why should I listen to you?” I yelled.

“Cause I don’t want you to end up like me.” She cried. “I don’t want you living with regrets. That’s I want you to fix things.”

“I’m done mom.” I said turning around. As I started to walk away, I found my staring into the same bright blue eyes that drove me crazy over the summer. “The only regret I have was ever meeting him.”