Status: Active

I Will Follow You Into the Dark

Floo Powder

Her heart pounded against her rib cage brutally once she entered the burrow. With her hair standing in every direction, ash all over her favorite muggle clothes, and the vicious coughing echoing from her throat, anyone inhabiting the house would know that Svetlanna had just traveled using floo powder. The young girl had decided that twenty miles was far too long for her to travel alone with her wardrobe for the next weeks; with this in mind, she chose to use the floo network –her least favorite form of traveling- so things would get done faster and without much hassle.

Once her thoughts were fully collected, Svetlanna looked around the small room and mentally smile in relief that no one saw her ungraceful arrival. Slowly, she brushed off as much ash as she could and grabbed her duffle bag by her feet before setting off to find the others.

She knew that both the twins and Ron weren’t anywhere on the Weasley family property because the house was oddly quiet, but a low chuckle from the living room gave note that a male member had was on scene and in the usual Weasley good mood. Svetlanna walked with a slight pep in her step, eager to find out which of her friends she got to see first; however, when she peaked through the living room frame, Svetlanna almost fainted when she saw not one, but two of the oldest Weasley brothers.

Almost at once her ashed over bag was dropped from her shoulder and Svetlanna was running to the ginger duo with a large smile on her face and her arms wide open. Halfway, she was scooped up into muscular arms and twirled around pleasantly. Once her first greeter pulled away, the young girl –who was standing barely 5’2”- looked up at the tannest ginger in the family.

“It’s been a long time, Charlie,” Svetlanna spoke in her mixed English/French/Russian accent. She had obtained the strange dialect from growing up with a French father and a Russian mother in England; needless to say, it was pretty hard for some strangers to understand her speech when she mumbled or spoke too fast.

“Only two years, Lanna,” Charlie responded with a warm smile, “it only seems longer because you’ve stopped writing me.”

Svetlanna’s cheeks flamed over with a light pink color and she looked down at her feet, “Je suis désolé.” She mumbled while tapping her fingers against the top of her thigh.

A chuckle was heard from the right side of Charlie causing Svetlanna to look up and replace the bashful pout with a wide grin.

“Don’t apologize to this git,” the handsome ginger laughed while shoving his brother’s shoulder lightly, “he’s been far too busy with his dragon studies to pay attention to anyone at all. -” –he grinned when he received a small push from his brother- “I’m still waiting for my hug.” He continued after looking at Svetlanna once again.

The shorter girl reached up and hugged Bill tightly, only stopping once she heard footsteps coming down the stairs. After pulling away, Svetlanna looked up and smiled at the only two female Weasley’s she was actually fond of.

“Ginny, Maman,” Svetlanna greeted with a smile while walking over to hug them loosely; she had always called Molly Weasley in the French form of ‘mother’ because she felt as if the red-haired woman was her second mother.

Molly pinched Svetlanna’s cheeks tendlerly and smiled, “You’ve grown over the summer, but you look thin. Has your mother been working late again?”

Svetlanna nodded and bit her bottom lip. It wasn’t abnormal for Mrs. Bellamy to take on late hours at St. Mungo’s and forget that she was the only one in the family that knew how to cook safely. Since her mother was gone, Svetlanna, Nui (her younger sister), and her father were forced to use what little cooking knowledge they had to create small dinners.

Everyone in her home was at least four pounds lighter than when holiday began.

“Don’t worry, I’m starting dinner now,” Mrs.Weasley said before walking off in the direction of the kitchen. Svetlanna watched until Mrs. Weasley was out of sight and turned the Ginny with questioning eyes.

She had been dying to ask her young friend something ever since her parents gave her permission to go to the Quidditch World Cup with their family friends. Both Bellamy’s knew their daughter had very few friends, and, with her shy nature, she wasn’t going to make any as fast as the normal teenager.

Because of this, Svetlanna got whatever she asked for when it came to spending time with people other than close relatives.

Ginny laughed and shook her head, “Everyone left to get Harry shortly before you came, George included.”

“Still infatuated with George, ay?” Charlie asked, deciding to get in on the conversation.

“I’ve never been infatuated with George,” Svetlanna defended herself with burning cheeks, “I simply said, once, that I admired how George and –“

A low thud was heard coming from the dining room and then the familiar laugh of one of the twins. Svetlanna knew it was Fred because her heart didn’t speed up as it did when George laughed or spoke directly to her.

“I wonder if he ate it,” Fred mused, walking to the living room and looking around. His eyes landed on Svetlanna and his large grin was widened and a familiar glint shined in his eyes. “You’ve finally decided to get off your-“

“Fred!” Mrs.Weasley’s voice sounded from the kitchen

Fred shook his head and revised his words, “You’ve finally decided to come over?”

Svetlanna nodded and bit her bottom lip, not because she was nervous to talk to Fred, but because she felt an eerie feeling she usually got whenever one of the twins was up to something that involved her.

“I would say I missed you, but, living with my brother, it was like having you in the house with us every day,” Fred said casually, yet he held a hint of humor in his voice. Svetlanna shook her head and smiled; she knew that Ron had been talking about her to his family because the two had owled each other every day (with Ron using his very hyper owl named Pig) during the summer.

“Well, writing Ron was all I had to-“

Another grunt came from the kitchen, but unlike the first, another followed it and even gave out a small grunt as an outcall. Fred’s smile didn’t leave his face as he winked at Svetlanna and walked into the kitchen to join the new arrivals.

“Oi, George,” Fred called from the door frame of the kitchen, “did he eat it?”

A laugh was the response that answered Fred’s question and caused Svetlanna’s heart to speed up to a dangerous rate. She moved her small hand to her chest and rubbed the area where it was pounding, but didn’t move anything else for she feared that walking would cause her to tumble over and allow her to pass out just as her throbbing head warned.

“Ge’rroff me, Ron,” George spoke. His voice was followed by the sounds of hurried movement. Bill and Charlie walked the same path as Fred had into the kitchen, but Ginny left the living room and made her way to her own room; those actions made Svetlanna feel as if she were suck between a rock and a hard place.

In the end, she decided to meet her doom waiting in the kitchen.

The laughing got louder and she got closer and closer to her friends waiting for her. Once she stepped through the door, Svetlanna’s eyes met with the brown, lively eyes of the boy who held her heart in his hands without even realizing it.

“Salut, George,” Svetlanna greeted with a bashful smile and blazing cheeks. Before she allowed the ginger to respond, she turned her attention to Ron and jumped him for a hug, “How I’ve missed you, meilleur ami!”

Ron laughed awkwardly and hugged Svetlanna back, “We talked every bloody day! How could you have missed me?”

Svetlanna pulled away and looked into Ron’s eyes, “ce n'est pas la même que face à face.”

Ron was about to reply before another thud came from the fireplace. Svetlanna rolled her eyes lightly and looked around Ron to find a boy with black hair face down on the kitchen floor with his glasses just inches away from his head.

Pushing Ron away from her, and not feeling the piercing glare in the side of her head, Svetlanna rushed to Harry’s side and helped him up as best she could. Ever since first year her friends had been growing and getting bigger. However, in her case, Svetlanna was doing the opposite by staying the same height and getting skinnier.

“Are you alright, Harry?” Svetlanna asked, truly worried about her friend.

Harry nodded and gave her a light hug like he usually did. Svetlanna felt as if her and Harry were as close as he was with Hermione- a brother and sister level. She walked back over to Ron and waited until she was talked directly to, just as she usually did.

The only thing different about her situation at that moment was the small tug in Svetlanna’s stomach that told her everything, starting from that moment, was going to start going in a different direction.

A direction that lead to events that would change things for good.