A Wolf's Heart

1

They were fast, strong, and stealthy. The vampires flew soundlessly through the forest. They were on the hunt. Without speaking, the vampires turned to the north to follow the pack of wolves they knew they would find. Reaching the mouth of the cave quickly, they attacked. Drinking from each of the wolves, they were satisfied.

A scream was heard at the entrance of the cave, a human scream. Jasper, who was the newest vegetarian, was still on the hunt. Out of instinct he turned to attack the poor clueless girl. No one could stop him. He was to fast.

Edward could hear what he was thinking. Or rather, what he wasn’t thinking. He was acting out of instinct. But just as he was within biting distance, a large wolf pounced.

The wolf was a mess of colors. Different shades of brown, black, and red. Human eyes would say he’s brown, but the vampires saw the unique blend of colors as he attacked their brother.

Snarls and growls were heard as they advanced toward the wolf to protect their brother. He jumped up and stood in front of the girl and a much smaller wolf beside her, still ready to attack. The vampires knew by the size and smell of the larger wolf that he was a shape-shifter.

They were tense but no one moved.

Then at last Carlisle, who was the leader, relaxed his stance and took slow hesitant steps toward the wolf.

Edwards POV

Carlisle took slow steps toward the wolf. Everyone’s thoughts buzzed together. Confusion, anger, and interest. Who was this wolf? We knew he wasn’t part of the Quileute pack. Who was this girl he would risk his life to protect? They assumed she was his imprint because she seemed comfortable standing beside him naked.

Carlisle spoke. “Sorry, my son didn’t mean to attack your imprint. He’s our newest vegetarian you see.”

But the wolf’s thoughts clearly said the girl wasn’t his imprint. Just someone he had to protect. He didn’t want to attack us but will if we attack him.

“Carlisle, he’s harmless as long as we don’t attack him,” I said. He took this into consideration then told us to relax our stances. So we did. After some thinking, so did the wolf. The girls face was etched in confusion. But I couldn’t hear any thoughts from her. Strange.

The wolf turned to her and it seemed as if they were having a silent conversation. But no words were spoken. Now we were confused. The wolf thought of his side of the conversation and seemed to understand hers. The girls face showed sorrow and sadness, tiny tears escaped her eyes. He told her they were dead.

She took off and ran deeper into the cave with a speed no other human can posses. The small wolf was at her heels. We watched as she knelt at the drained bodies of the wolves we drank from. She cried into the fur. The small wolf seemed to be doing the same. Then we realized the larger wolf phased.

A man that looked to be around twenty-five stood in his place. He had dark skin, brown eyes, and medium length hair. His face too held sorrow at the death of this pack.

“I’m sorry but my family and I are confused. Who are you?” Carlisle asked politely. The man turned his stare toward him.

“Who I am isn’t important. But what is important is the fact that you killed my pack.” He answered in a voice so calm but in pain.

Carlisle looked at him in bewilderment. “But this is just a regular pack of wolves!”

“That may be, but they are still my family. And you took that away from us.”

“Us? You mean that girl is a part of the pack too?”

“Yes, our story and the pack are quite interesting.” We all turned toward the girl and we saw that she was asleep. She cuddled with the dead bodies of her pack, even in her sleep, she still cried. The small wolf did the same.

My family was shocked. And Esme let her motherly instincts take over.

“Excuse me sir? Would you like to stay at our home for a while? You are welcome for as long as you like, the girl and the wolf too,” Esme felt really bad for taking away his family. Her guilt rubbed off onto me.

“No, I don’t think-”

“We insist. Please?” After thinking it over for a while he agreed. With the sleeping girl in his arms and a wolf following behind, we made our way to our house.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's short, but just the begining :)
comments?