A Wolf's Heart

2

Darin’s (The large wolf) POV

I told them about us. I knew I could trust them. And our story wasn’t very interesting anyway.

Makani is the girl who is with me. She has been with the pack longer then I have. She was found by the packs alpha when she was just a baby. She was left by the stream and they took her in. She grew up in the pack and learned their language and their ways of life. She doesn’t know a word of English. When she was about nine I found the pack. I was alone and found comfort in this family. I earned their trust and I was part of the pack. I learned their language as well. The alpha died three years ago and they picked me as the new one. I was most likely to be able to protect the pack from danger.

Earlier when we got to the house I met the rest of the family. They were a bit wary of me but soon got used to my presence. Makani was put on the couch in the living room. She cuddled next to Red, the smaller wolf, and a blanket was thrown over her.

I learned that some of the members had gifts. Alice had premonitions, Jasper can control emotions, Edward can read minds, and Bella was a mental shield.

I was currently talking to Edward. He was intrigued by the idea of a human living with a pack of wolves. I answered all of his questions. I got to learn more about him too. His wife Bella and daughter Renesmee were seated next to him.

Renesmee’s imprint, Jacob, came over a while ago. He tried to attack me but the Cullen’s assured him I was safe. We are still not on good terms.

I got to know their family, and for a bunch of vampires, they were pretty cool.

It was then that Makani decided to wake up. She stirred on the couch waking up Red as well. She looked at the faces of the Cullen family and her eyes blazed with hatred. She wasn’t saying anything, just getting ready to attack. The moment she pounced I was already dragging her out the door.

Growls erupted from her chest as I set her on the ground right outside of the house. She slipped out of my arms quickly and was already half way to the house. I allowed myself to phase. She was at the threshold when I caught up to her. I grabbed her hair with my teeth and pulled her back. She was whimpering and snarling at the same time. Once I was far enough I threw her onto the ground, trying to be gentle, and pinned her with my front paws.

Calm down. I ordered her.

She stopped her movements, only looking at me in the eyes. Her eyes still held fury. But also pain.

Why? Why are you letting them get away with killing our family?

They killed them to survive. Like what we do. We need an animal’s meat, have you ever thought about the pain it brings their own family? Like us, they need to kill for survival. I tried to make her understand that they couldn’t help it. Sure I was also upset, but, they didn’t know.

She seemed to take in my words. I got off her when I was sure she wouldn’t attack. Slowly she got up. She looked at the vampire spectators, then back at me. Red walked towards her, gently nudging her side with his nose.

…I’m going to go hunting with Red. Will you be here when I get back? After nodding my head, she took off into the forest.

I phased back and turned towards the vampires.

“She’s going hunting, she’ll be back soon.” I noticed Jacob wasn’t here. Edward, who read my thoughts, replied,

“He went to get his pack. Said they would want to know about a new shapeshifter in Forks.” Oh ok. Meeting new werewolves? Not to excited about that. “Would Makani be alright when she’s hunting?” The rest of the family seemed to finally realize that a human was going hunting, their faces were ones of shock and concern.

“Don’t worry about her. She grew up with wolves. Actually that was what we were doing when you decided to attack the pack.” Guilt clouded their face once again at that reminder.

Paul’s POV

“Dude give it back!” Seth was trying to get the chips I stole from him.

I shoved him backwards and tilted the bag to pour the rest in my mouth. I threw him the empty bag.

“There you go,” I said arrogantly. Just as he was about to punch me Jacob ran through the door. “Where’s the fire?”

“No fire, but I think there’s something you guys should know,” Probably something to do with the bloodsuckers. He reeked of them.

Sam, who was now the beta, asked what he was talking about.

“Follow me to the Cullen’s and you’ll see.” Told ya.

We gathered up the rest of the pack. They were as irritated as I was, except for Seth. Stupid leech lover.

I heard that. It’s not my fault you always have a stick up your ass. I tried snapping at his leg but Jacob ordered us to stop. It was sort of silent the rest of the way.

Sam and Jared were thinking about their imprints. Like always. It gets really annoying. I swear they are totally whipped. Even though they heard me they said nothing, knowing I was right.

Don’t worry Paul, you will imprint someday too. Then you be all mushy and whipped like us, Jared said in a taunting manner.

Yeah right, I’m Paul. I hit it then quit it. If I ever imprint, they will get the same treatment. I retorted with confidence.

You’ll see. Just wait Paul. Stupid Jared.

We were right outside the bloodsuckers mansion. I resisted the urge to shield my nose. But when I gave up trying to hold my breath I smelt something unfamiliar. One was one that smelt of a shapeshifter. Everyone else smelt that and we got just a bit defensive. But that’s not what caught my attention.

One scent was one of an unfamiliar human. It was faint, but it was there. And it was wonderful. It was woodsy but the kind where you would have to live in the forest your whole life. It was just…natural. And beautiful.

What the hell? Of course the pack had to catch my thoughts. I growled before I quickly phased. No need to embarrass myself further.

A man walked out of the house. The rest of the pack phased since he was in human form as well. He looked to be around twenty, twenty five at the most. He was greatly muscled like the rest of us.

The rest of the Cullen’s followed out behind him.

Carlisle introduced us. “Darin this is the Quileute werewolf pack; Sam, Jared, Paul, Quil, Embry, Seth, Leah, Collin, Brady, and you already know Jacob. Guys, this is Darin.”

“Where are you from, Darin?” Sam asked, clearly intrigued.

“How bout I just tell you my whole story?” After getting approval, he launched into his story.

So, Makani is the new human? I guess she has lived in the forest her whole life, and with wolves too. I got a laugh out of that one. Now we were just getting to know this new shape-shifter, he’s a pretty cool guy. He fit in fine so far.

The Cullen’s went back in the house while the wolves stayed outside.

They were all still laughing at the thought I had. Why did I even think that?! I mean come on, you don’t randomly smell a person and think “beautiful”.

I was shaking and was seriously going to punch someone.

“Jeez Paul, it’s not our fault your insides turned mushy!” I growled at Jared and almost phased to kill him. I say almost because I got distracted by a crash, and a melodic laugh.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...comment?
:)